Can we mix men and women in Powerlifting?

woloo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Can some women compete with most men in Powerlifting? Not saying Top 10 women could compete with Top 10 men, but there are women with great genetics and guys with weak genetics. Powerlifting is a sport that requires great genes and then technique unlike Boxing, UFC, etc.

I personally think we could experiment that. Strongwomen like Becca Swanson and April Mathis could easily compete with men in the same weight class though they won't be top 5.

Can some women compete with most men in Powerlifting? Not saying Top 10 women could compete with Top 10 men, but there are women with great genetics and guys with weak genetics. Powerlifting is a sport that requires great genes and then technique unlike Boxing, UFC, etc.

I personally think we could experiment that. Strongwomen like Becca Swanson and April Mathis could easily compete with men in the same weight class though they won't be top 5.

giphy.gif

{<doc}

It certainly could be done, but what would be the point of it? What would be the motivation for mixed competitions?

We can already compare the recorded weights. Some women can lift more than some men. In general, men can probably lift more than women. And the strongest women cannot lift as much as the strongest men. We already know all that.

If the motivation is supposed to stem from the principle of gender equality, it seems pretty uncompelling. It's unclear what injustice mixed competitions would address. The potential benefit to women is opaque.

I don't mean to suggest that I'm opposed to the idea of mixed competitions. I personally couldn't care less whether or not there are such competitions. I just don't understand what would motivate them.

There are some individual women who are very strong.

So why not let them be strong in their respective divisions so they can stand out amongst their peers? Some women having the ability to achieve great levels of strength doesn't mean we need to blend them in with men.

Last edited:
@woloo You have the strangest obsession. Look at how many posts you have about comparing men to women.

Always a treat reading a @woloo thread. Poker & woloo 4 life!

I can only imagine the type of negative brainpower required to create this thread

Back