Can we give Jones credit?

I'd say Jones has had more than enough dubiously earned credit over the years that he can do without for a bit...

There are plenty of tools to improve your credit score. He's on his own.

As someone who always roots against Jones, I can certainly admit that his cardio and toughness are top notch. Jones seems like the kind of guy you'd expect to be a front-runner, i.e., look like a world-beater when he's winning but fall apart in the face of real resistance. In reality, Jones actually gets better when things aren't going his way. We saw it in the first Gus fight, where Jones appeared to be on his way to a loss before he landed that spinning elbow and won rounds 4 and 5. And we saw it against Reyes, where Jones poured on the pressure and clearly won rounds 4 and 5.

I'm definitely not a Jones fan. And I scored the fight for Reyes (although it could have gone either way). But I'm also super impressed by Jones's mental toughness and cardio.

Jones and other cheaters of his ilk get no respect from decent MMA fans.

One of the things I was thinking while watching last night is that Jon is so good at not getting hit, or at least not getting hit cleanly, that I tend to forget that he can take a shot damn well.

But yeah, Jon lost that fight 48-47. Dom's biggest problem was probably that he had most of his success early in the rounds and he let Jon rally at the end, particularly in R1, but somewhat in R2 and R3 as well. It's very likely the judges, at least the two that were looking, remembered the end of the round better than the beginning.

People hate Jones so much and he's probably not going to lose any time soon.

How tough the past ten years must have been for you all.

His heart and his endurance are maybe the greatest in the history of the game. He has zero quit in him. You can beat him up for one or two rounds and it doesn’t matter. He’s not going anywhere.

Insecure gsp fans hating on goat jones, mostly.
In all fairness we had the troll crew starting multiple Jones threads with GSP’s name in the thread title. As if somehow they were so insecure about Jon they had to try to minimize GSP’s accomplishments .

Sure the fight was close and it could have gone either way but ever since the fight people have been shitting on him nonstop. Reyes performed great but we gotta give props to Jon as well. Dude displayed amazing cardio and he legit has one of the best chins ever, not to mention he is tough as fuck. He admitted that some of the shots fucked his vision but he kept coming forward.
Most people say this is clean Jones and even if that is true, his heart and toughness has not suffered one bit like most roiders who are too mentally dependent on steroids.
Jones digs deep when the going gets tough which is rare for him but a guy who rarely gets challenged, he steps up and doesn't panic or collapse.

Sherdog aka alt-right Incel Headquarters, giving Jones credit for anything???

LOL you have a better chance of GSP finishing a fight!

You have to give Jones credit. He older an fighting killers in 5 round wars every-time. Going toe to toe with a guy like Reyes and more than holding his own is very impressive. IMO the fight was very close. Not the Jones of old but he still is top of the tree

tenor.gif

Apparently not

this forums full of haters and snowflakes

jones easily won 3 rounds of that fight against a young hungry stud
And no one can give him any credit
The way he rallied in 4th and 5th was exceptional
Exceptional? He looked really bad even the rounds he “won”

Anyone who says that Jones' wasn't good that fight needs to get his eyes checked.
Reyes was just a beast that night and is generally a difficult match up for Jones.

I criticize Jones A LOT for all the stuff with the PEDs, but in no way is it disputable that he put on a great fight against Reyes.

Exceptional? He looked really bad even the rounds he “won”
From someone who had Reyes winning the fight:
I think he looked human - he wasn't really bad in any instance, it's just that Reyes was better that night.

Props to Jones for an amazing resume and incredible warrior spirit pulling out a victory over a young hungry fighter who really took it to the champ.

With that being said, I thought it was a lackluster showing by Jones in comparision to how easily he dominated the early part of his run as LHW champ.

A 12 fight guy like Reyes who squeaked by Volkan had no business making that a close fight imho, not that Reyes isn't a stud but he's not on the level of a GOAT...yet

I was waiting for Jones to turn up the volume way higher in the 3rd and then go on in for the kill in the 4th or 5th against an obviously tired and gassed opponent.

You could argue that he did turn up but I've seen much better in the past and expected much better. I haven't been too impressed with his output since DC2

If Jones didn't have multiple failed drug tests and so many unpunished fouls during matches I'd have a lot more respect for him. Right now he's just a giant asterisk in the fight books. He had a lot of potential.

kept coming despite eatin shots, kept tryin to win
2 great fighters with great chins

most likely both were on all the right roids too

Back