Can we finally give Anthony Smith some credit now? (Genuine Question)

I did read it bro I swear. I just think a lot of us are still kind of stuck on that performance against Jones and it's kind of hard to let go, no offense. I'm a fan of the guy and I felt let down by that performance. I know you were looking for feedback from a different perspective and I'm sure you will get it.

I guess I was just responding to this.

No, that's absolutely fine, it just baffles me how people seem to completely ignore that.

No doubt that Jones fight is going to stick for a while but it's like the rest is completely ignored by most ain't it lol :)

Did he just have a fight or something?

Random thread it random.

No doubt that Jones fight is going to stick for a while but it's like the rest is completely ignored by most ain't it lol :)

I kind of agree and I do like the guy but I also get why that performance sticks in people's minds too.

Jones couldn't finish,
and Anthony really brought zero to the fight.

<DCrying>

Yeah, Smith was just poor during that performance for sure.

But as I say he wasn't in the Gus fight where he finished Gus in the 4th, in Gus' home town and Smith won performance of the night too.

Bare in mind Gus also gave Jones some good fights, specially Gus vs Jones I.

And Smith finished that dude with a performance of the night but ....

Smith was poor against Jones so he's shit haha :)

Jones is just really good..

To be fair, he really is.

I don't know if Smith froze or what in that fight but all credit to Jones for that 100%.

Smith could have took the easy win too but he didn't (and shouldn't).

Did he just have a fight or something?

Random thread it random.

Nah it's something I've thought about and noticed a while lol

He is brutal on the desk as well. Those awkward forced interactions with guys in his division are awful. Current fighters on the desk, or commentary, are awful and pointless.

I kind of agree and I do like the guy but I also get why that performance sticks in people's minds too.

Oh yeah, understandable but like I mentioned above Smith was just poor during that performance for sure.

But he wasn't in the Gus fight where he finished Gus in the 4th, in Gus' home town and Smith won performance of the night.

Bare in mind Gus also gave Jones some good fights, specially Gus vs Jones I.

And Smith finished that dude with a performance of the night but ....

Smith was poor against Jones so he's shit haha

Do you get what I mean, why don't people even take this into consideration most of the time lol :)

If he didn’t talk a big game and just went out there and lost the way he did, no one would have been upset and made fun of him.

It the amount of BS that he spoke and then doing the complete opposite, it made him look bad. He fought like a b*tch

Last edited:
If that's when we let him off the hook then yes.

As above really in my previous response :)

He is brutal on the desk as well. Those awkward forced interactions with guys in his division are awful. Current fighters on the desk, or commentary, are awful and pointless.

To be fair a lot of fans have loved Smith on the panel so ......

Source: https://forums.sherdog.com/threads/anthony-smith-on-the-post-and-pre-fight-shows.4031065/

Smith was poor against Jones so he's shit haha

I don't think Smith is shit, far from it, and that is why I find it hard to let that performance go. I feel he had a lot more in him but shied away from going for it.

<Fedor23>

he did a good job against Gus no doubt.

I don't think Smith is shit, far from it, and that is why I find it hard to let that performance go. I feel he had a lot more in him but shied away from going for it.

<Fedor23>

he did a good job against Gus no doubt.

Oh yeah, this is not anyone specific but just more of the general consensus that's out there ain't it lol :)

Yeah, the Jones fight was poor, 100%.

But what about what he did in the Gus fight is what I mean, why does that get ignored and yet still the Jones thing (which isn't even his most recent fight) still be the thing lol

I hear you on that and completely agree by the way but it does baffle me how the credit he's now shown is ignored (on a whole) lol
No I'm with you, he's great and I never thought he'd beat Gus, I was always pretty high in Gus, still am to be honest, but Anthony is undeniably legit.

No I'm with you, he's great and I never thought he'd beat Gus, I was always pretty high in Gus, still am to be honest, but Anthony is undeniably legit.

Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to Gus being back, he's another who gets a bit too much stick to be honest :)

Smith didn't want him to retire off the back of him either :)

Still doesn't mean I want to see him anywhere near a title shot. Smith should be used as a gatekeeper. If you can beat him convincingly you are ready for a title shot.

Maybe, maybe not, but a lot of people won't forget that performance and he still lost.

I think this is a fair comment and I don't think people should forget that performance either.

But they should also remember the performance he had last with Gus, which as I say he did beat him in his own town, with a finish and a performance of the night bonus.

Remember Gus also fought Jones twice and put up some good fights with Jones, specially the first one and Smith beat that guy too.

This is what I mean about how there's no balance.

Sure the Jones fight was shite, no doubt but it does baffle me how we would always hear the "Only as good as your last fight" a lot with Smith at the time if you tried to defend it in a way such as "It just didn't click", "Nerves maybe" or whatever which is a true valid statement .... but he's still not as good as his last fight now and he's still as good as his Jones fight.

Do you get what I mean haha :)

A lot of fans are morons,
source:
forums.sherdog.com

<{1-2}>

Yeah, I'm actually looking forward to Gus being back, he's another who gets a bit too much stick to be honest :)

Smith didn't want him to retire off the back of him either :)
Everyone is fucking useless once they lose, didn't you know?
80% of us here could fight better than the professionals and another 15% would be infinitely better coaches.
The rest of us just like to watch a good scrap.

Still doesn't mean I want to see him anywhere near a title shot. Smith should be used as a gatekeeper. If you can beat him convincingly you are ready for a title shot.

Oh yeah, that's a completely fair comment too.

I'd like to see him get another title shot as I think he'd perform better but that's absolutely fine however as above really in my last reply more than anything lol

Everyone is fucking useless one they lose, didn't you know?
80% of us here could fight better than the professionals and another 15% would be infinitely better coaches.
The rest of us just like to watch a good scrap.

Yeah haha :D

Back