Can we finally give Anthony Smith some credit now? (Genuine Question)

GSP Rush

Black Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think it's fair to say we all know Anthony Smith gave a very poor performance when it came to the fight with Jones, for whatever reason whether he froze, nerves or just didn't click that night his performance wasn't great.

He got a lot of stick for that fight though he came back and rectified this by finishing Gus in the 4th round in front of Gus's home crowd also winning performance of the night yet people will ignore that and still use the Jones fight as a reflection on Smith.

We always hear the sentiment "You're only as good as your last fight", so it does confuse me how that sentiment is valid when he lost to Jones but since he beat Gus it's no longer valid and they'll still use the Jones fight to showcase Smith.

So honestly, how do you guys feel in regards to Anthony Smith and what's your take on this?

I would love to see who will actually give him some credit now as opposed to those who are still stuck on the Jones fight (which admittedly was a poor performance).

I'd be interested to hear :)

I think it's fair to say we all know Anthony Smith gave a very poor performance when it came to the fight with Jones, for whatever reason whether he froze, nerves or just didn't click that night his performance wasn't great.

He got a lot of stick for that fight though he came back and rectified this by finishing Gus in the 4th round in front of Gus's home crowd also winning performance of the night yet people will ignore that and still use the Jones fight as a reflection on Smith.

We always hear the sentiment "You're only as good as your last fight", so it does confuse me how that sentiment is valid when he lost to Jones but since he beat Gus it's no longer valid and they'll still use the Jones fight to showcase Smith.

So honestly, how do you guys feel in regards to Anthony Smith and what's your take on this?

I would love to see who will actually give him some credit now as opposed to those who are still stuck on the Jones fight (which admittedly was a poor performance).

He's a good fighter. I think people are just upset that he appeared to phone in the Jones fight pretty hard. If I remember correctly, he talked about kill or be killed a whole lot leading up to it.

I just felt he was scared to even try against Jones and his whole Lionheart thing went out the window for me it was the main inspiration for this shoop that I made for the NGS contest we had:

YN0sCKr.png

He's a good fighter. I think people are just upset that he appeared to phone in the Jones fight pretty hard. If I remember correctly, he talked about kill or be killed a whole lot leading up to it.
Yeah and he’s nicknamed “lion heart”. You can’t really justify that when you quit on a fight
Cause it’s too hard. This is your title shot, if you’re gonna go down, go down unloading on that dude. Don’t curl up in the fetal position that’s just pathetic

Maybe so and that was also his intention but for whatever reason he just couldn't do what he said he was going to do that night, something he said himself.

But as I say about the "Only as good as your last fight" sentiment people always use and they often would if you defended Smith over that poor performance but now that he's rectified this himself beating Gus in his home town, finishing the fight and winning the performance of the night bonus this whole "only as good as your last fight" isn't valid anymore.

Cause if that's the case then Smith's last fight was the Gus win so he's a good fighter who finishes fights and wins performance of the night bonuses if you get what I mean :)

I hear this all the time in regards to Smith when you have conversations lol

tenor.gif

I just felt he was scared to even try against Jones and his whole Lionheart thing went out the window for me it was the main inspiration for this shoop that I made for the NGS contest we had:

YN0sCKr.png

lol that's funny :D

But I think you're missing the point of the thread, kinda have a read if you don't mind :)

I like Smith and he's a good fighter, but that Jones performance was pretty damn bad, takes a while to wash that taste out of your mouth.

I think it's fair to say we all know Anthony Smith gave a very poor performance when it came to the fight with Jones
Can't blame him when Jon Jones is a Master Tactician!
I just felt he was scared to even try against Jones
If he tried
he would've died.

Light heavyweight is now another Flyweight... Where the champ is too good to be dethroned and shuts down all of his opponents.

I like Smith and he's a good fighter, but that Jones performance was pretty damn bad, takes a while to wash that taste out of your mouth.

Absolutely, just funny though with the whole "Only as good as your last fight" thing we always hear.

It obviously doesn't apply when people want to knock a dude (not you of course, I mean in general) :)

I love watching him fight, but I think during the Jones fight he was happy to reach the decision and saw that as a personal victory when in my opinion if he opened up and threw caution to the wind he would've stood a much better chance of winning, he hits hard and his chin is good.

Last edited:
Also Anthony is secretly lactose intolerant and Jones found out and rubbed cheese all over himself before the fight and that's why Smith was so hesitant, so we shouldn't be so quick to judge Anthony for his performance in that bout.

I love watching him fight, but I think during the Jones fight he was happy to reach the decision and saw that as a personal victory when in my opinion is he opened up and threw caution to the wind he would've stood a much better chance of winning, he hits hard and his chin is good.

Yeah, the Jones fight was poor, 100%.

But what about what he did in the Gus fight is what I mean, why does that get ignored and yet still the Jones thing (which isn't even his most recent fight) still be the thing lol

I hear you on that and completely agree by the way but it does baffle me how the credit he's now shown is ignored (on a whole) lol

Also Anthony is secretly lactose intolerant and Jones found out and rubbed cheese all over himself before the fight and that's why Smith was so hesitant, so we shouldn't be so quick to judge Anthony for his performance in that bout.

Haha, this is true <45>

lol that's funny :D

But I think you're missing the point of the thread, kinda have a read if you don't mind :)

I did read it bro I swear. I just think a lot of us are still kind of stuck on that performance against Jones and it's kind of hard to let go, no offense. I'm a fan of the guy and I felt let down by that performance. I know you were looking for feedback from a different perspective and I'm sure you will get it.

I guess I was just responding to this.

Jones couldn't finish,
and Anthony really brought zero to the fight.

<DCrying>

Back