Can we appreciate the fact a guy who never wrestled before mma scored take downs on both bones & DC?

I wouldnt Gane as an example.. the man heel hooked a guy in the ufc with less than one year of bjj training. You have any idea how hard it is applying a heel hook in mma is, let alone at that level, shit even in bjj.

i can safely say that in my own experience in several mma gyms, i rarely see anybody land a double leg unless its one of the competing guys.
Shit i can say that for me too, and i have landed every almost every submission i saw on youtube, so this is not collectively a grappling thing.

also, i dont understand ur leg injury point, ur talking about when guy’s low calf kick gets checked? That’s not something they dont know. Its something the other guy did. No different than countering a punch, just a lot more effective.

the repetition part i can say the same thing about a counter punch in a light spar, some people cant time that no matter how much they try.

and about that “being an ox” thing, i’ve trained with guys who hit so hard that even if i block their strikes it hurts. I’m pretty sure Melvin Manhoef would ko all of us with the same punch if he wanted.

heel hooking someone has nothing to do with wrestling. i don't even know why you brought that up? the fact that he fights in the HW division and that the guy he fought isn't very good at grappling himself doesn't surprise me that he was able to do it. i learned both heelhooks very quickly. that's my whole point, learning grappling isn't very hard, so for people to be surprised that someone who hasn't grown up grappling can grapple isn't surprising. i mean, we watched a fucking BEAR CUB wrestle Khabib with some actual skill.

wrestling/grappling is an intuitive/instinctive/natural thing. obviously every little intricate move isn't intuitive but it isn't difficult to learn. learning how to kick without breaking your own leg? that's hard because kicking isn't a natural attack. my point is, that the other guy checked it because the person throwing it DOESN'T UNDERSTAND HOW TO KICK. if he knew how to kick, he wouldn't have broken his leg. how you might ask? by SETTING IT UP. people who are good kickers have setups for the kicks, just like wrestlers who are good wrestlers have good setups for their takedowns. BUT just being able to know how to take someone down isn't hard.

if you've played any kind of sport that involves tackling, than you know how to take someone down. like i said, watch street fights or kids fight and almost every time the fight ends up being people grabbing each other aka wrestling. i say watch kids or street fights because the majority of the time these fights don't have trained combatants, they're just doing what's natural, and most people's natural reaction is to grab the other person, not kick them.

really? I must be weird because when I was a little kid without any training I remember kicking in the balls other kids that were bothering me. It works like a charm.
Without training even little kids are able to employ takedowns when they get into fights.

I wouldnt Gane as an example.. the man heel hooked a guy in the ufc with less than one year of bjj training. You have any idea how hard it is applying a heel hook in mma is, let alone at that level, shit even in bjj.

i can safely say that in my own experience in several mma gyms, i rarely see anybody land a double leg unless its one of the competing guys.
Shit i can say that for me too, and i have landed every almost every submission i saw on youtube, so this is not collectively a grappling thing.

also, i dont understand ur leg injury point, ur talking about when guy’s low calf kick gets checked? That’s not something they dont know. Its something the other guy did. No different than countering a punch, just a lot more effective.

the repetition part i can say the same thing about a counter punch in a light spar, some people cant time that no matter how much they try.

and about that “being an ox” thing, i’ve trained with guys who hit so hard that even if i block their strikes it hurts. I’m pretty sure Melvin Manhoef would ko all of us with the same punch if he wanted.
What type of kicks are you landing? There's a difference in landing a basic roundhouse kick that everyone throws compared to front leg side kicks, back kicks, and spinning hook kicks. Then there are guys that can throw those kicks in combinations. In fact, most MMA fighters wouldn't be classified as great kickers, they're actually a bit of a rarity. Guys like Barboza, Wonderboy, Uriah Hall, Yair, Zabit, and Giga have a rare skillset.

In the words of Michael Bisping, the buggest learning curve when starting mma from scratch is the wrestling, which can be the most annoying part of the sport u till it starts to piece together.

MMA GOATs Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier both have been wrestling all their lives since they were little kids and here come a guy who’s only fight experience before starting mma at age 20 was some amateur boxing.

View attachment 869923
View attachment 869924

View attachment 869925

Can you post the entire first round against DC where DC slams Gus on his back then pants him their for the entire round?

Without training even little kids are able to employ takedowns when they get into fights.
tumblr_npnkn9m4291tlb56zo1_250.gifv

Even Women...

I liked it for you and didn’t care for the thread. But I thought he should get his like because you liked it.

I like that, bud. I really liked that.

Kudos to Gustafsson. Alas, for all of his improvements and highlights in the cage, he will always be an also-ran in the history of the sport.

Kicking is way harder to learn from scratch than wrestling. There are people who can wrestle well intuitively. Nobody can kick properly without training

Maybe... but it's comparatively ineffective. No one has to learn how to kick.

You've never seen kids tackling each other when they get into fights? I'm not claiming them to do it with perfect technique, but tackling someone is a natural response for even untrained people.

You've never seen kids tackling each other when they get into fights? I'm not claiming them to do it with perfect technique, but tackling someone is a natural response for even untrained people.
Nope, I've seen kids grabbin one another from the hair, scratching with their nails, biting with their teeth,... never seen a kid going for a double leg

imo Maybe one of the most overrated fighters ever. Claim to fame is losing to greats. Slick boxing tho.

Kicking is way harder to learn from scratch than wrestling. There are people who can wrestle well intuitively. Nobody can kick properly without training

I kicked my friend in the leg once when we were play fighting and he was limping for 2 days. Another time I kicked a guy in a fight and his leg buckled. I'm calling bullshit on this.

wrestling is more of a sport of repetition, while striking is more of a sport of deception. what i mean by that is, in striking no matter how many times you throw a jab, if you don't understand when to throw it it's basically useless. while wrestling is much more intuitive, you can get takedowns even with shitty timing if you're an absolute ox of a human being.

not true at all.

which of these better illustrates the importance of timing and which one demonstrates physical strength overcoming technique and timing?

tumblr_n4kcpjT12P1tynw6to1_400.gif

-OR-

ThirstyFakeGosling-size_restricted.gif

imo Maybe one of the most overrated fighters ever. Claim to fame is losing to greats. Slick boxing tho.

looking purely at his record, he maybe seems a tad overrated.

But actually watching the fights - dude was a very talented fighter. DC's recounting of their fight does a lot to cement his legacy, but most of his infamy comes from the fact he fought a very competitive fight against a prime JBJ and JBJ even then had so many haters that this close fight became a bit of a legend. Bones won that fight fairly squarely, though it was close - it was not the robbery it is made out to be on Sherdog.

Reactions: d2s
In the words of Michael Bisping, the buggest learning curve when starting mma from scratch is the wrestling, which can be the most annoying part of the sport u till it starts to piece together.

MMA GOATs Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier both have been wrestling all their lives since they were little kids and here come a guy who’s only fight experience before starting mma at age 20 was some amateur boxing.

View attachment 869923
View attachment 869924

View attachment 869925

Even more impressive when the competition was juiced to gills.

Nope, I've seen kids grabbin one another from the hair, scratching with their nails, biting with their teeth,... never seen a kid going for a double leg
Really? Teens and adults do it as well. Again it's not great technique but they do attempt it.

I kicked my friend in the leg once when we were play fighting and he was limping for 2 days. Another time I kicked a guy in a fight and his leg buckled. I'm calling bullshit on this.
There's a difference in throwing a crap kick compared to this

lkWrC5.gif

PrestigiousTerribleAffenpinscher-max-1mb.gif

728d1039597ae11359cd9b621846f6fd.gif

If kicking is so easy then Weidman should've been able to pull off a spinning hook kick without looking like this

AcidicMeekHogget-size_restricted.gif

Back