Can we appreciate the fact a guy who never wrestled before mma scored take downs on both bones & DC?

KillerIsBack V2

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
In the words of Michael Bisping, the buggest learning curve when starting mma from scratch is the wrestling, which can be the most annoying part of the sport u till it starts to piece together.

MMA GOATs Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier both have been wrestling all their lives since they were little kids and here come a guy who’s only fight experience before starting mma at age 20 was some amateur boxing.

upload_2021-7-25_11-45-32.jpeg
upload_2021-7-25_11-46-44.jpeg

upload_2021-7-25_11-51-42.jpeg

TD's are only one aspect of wrestling.

It's a nice stat on paper, but ultimately meaningless imo. To me someone like GSP is more impressive, he learned to time shots perfectly and was excellent at controlling position.

TD's are only one aspect of wrestling.

It's a nice stat on paper, but ultimately meaningless imo. To me someone like GSP is more impressive, he learned to time shots perfectly and was excellent at controlling position.

Jones also got all 12 takedown attempts stuffed in the first fight which was very impressive.

Last edited:
A lot easier to take someone down when they're worried about getting punched or kicked in the face. Never happen in a wrestling match against a C level wrestler.

inbetweeners-sex-1024x576.jpg

It was cool that he got them down, but he just did that once on top of them

Another thing that gets vastly ignored is that 4th round vs Jon in the first fight with Gus. Gus was winning the standup again in the 4th, and I actually think he had Jon pretty hurt, the most out of anyone so far, with a left hook I believe. But when Jon landed that elbow on Gus, everyone acts like Gus was so rocked and that elbow is why Gus lost the fight. But was Gus that rocked? Gus never fell down, never lost his balance or got the stinky leg. Also the biggest point I'm getting to, that relates to this thread, is that after that big elbow from Jon, Jon tried to take Gus down, but was denied. If Gus was that rocked, Jon should have easily been able to take Gus down. But Jon couldn't. I also think Gus was robbed of the title, all because of that over hyped elbow.

Kicking is way harder to learn from skratch than wrestling. There are people who can wrestle well intuitively. Nobody can kick properly without training
you can't write this with a straight face, can you?

Another thing that gets vastly ignored is that 4th round vs Jon in the first fight with Gus. Gus was winning the standup again in the 4th, and I actually think he had Jon pretty hurt, the most out of anyone so far, with a left hook I believe. But when Jon landed that elbow on Gus, everyone acts like Gus was so rocked and that elbow is why Gus lost the fight. But was Gus that rocked? Gus never fell down, never lost his balance or got the stinky leg. Also the biggest point I'm getting to, that relates to this thread, is that after that big elbow from Jon, Jon tried to take Gus down, but was denied. If Gus was that rocked, Jon should have easily been able to take Gus down. But Jon couldn't. I also think Gus was robbed of the title, all because of that over hyped elbow.

He certainly was hurt, at some points it looked like he was about to get KO'd if Jones had landed some more good shots. But Jones himself put a lot of energy into those missed shots and that's why he couldn't take Gus down against the cage even at that moment.

I haven wrestled under sumo rules and thrown a wrestler. Wrestling is natural for us, kicking is not. Get your head out of wrestlers asses. Don't be like Joe Rogan.
really? I must be weird because when I was a little kid without any training I remember kicking in the balls other kids that were bothering me. It works like a charm.

No. This is mixed martial arts and those takedowns are some the most common of techniques to use in a fight.

Back