Can we all agree..

burningspear

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
If Tyson had stayed with Rooney(like Manny and Freddie) he had the potential to be the best ever.

Loved watching these guys do their thing, Mike doing Lomachenko before Lomachenko was born.

Boxing is filled with woulda, couldas, but we’ll never know.

I don’t think Tyson had the dedication or discipline to stay focused long after he won the title. Rooney or not.

Yes, but the way things turned out Charles Martin will go down in history as the GOAT.

Not so sure. There was a mental weakness to Tyson in and out of the ring. Not sure any trainer could fix that.

Not so sure. There was a mental weakness to Tyson in and out of the ring. Not sure any trainer could fix that.
that's how i see it. tyson struggled against anybody that actually fought back, he didn't like adversity and would break the rules the moment the going got tough. he was doing it well before the evander fight.

he was special and d'amato never had a fighter better suited to his peculiar style, it was a match made in heaven. Money distorts everything though, women and fame distort everything, even with mentally strong guys like ali who always had to have a tribe of loosers around him and his muslims. It's true that Cus didn't finish his final project but I think the mental weaknesses in mike may not have been fixable. Mike and everyone else claim that Cus was the one figure who could have kept him from imploding but I'm skeptical. Don King would have still come along, the whores would have still went to his hotel rooms, and he wasn't very smart about staying out of trouble. He's lucky he was in that era, he'd never get off the ground in this :eek::eek::eek: me too era. So, i have to say, no, it wouldn't have changed much with cus or rooney. maybe inside the ring he would have done better but he still would have been a sucker for those bitches.

Mike was great, but he would have found a way to screw up at some point.

he was special and d'amato never had a fighter better suited to his peculiar style, it was a match made in heaven. Money distorts everything though, women and fame distort everything, even with mentally strong guys like ali who always had to have a tribe of loosers around him and his muslims. It's true that Cus didn't finish his final project but I think the mental weaknesses in mike may not have been fixable. Mike and everyone else claim that Cus was the one figure who could have kept him from imploding but I'm skeptical. Don King would have still come along, the whores would have still went to his hotel rooms, and he wasn't very smart about staying out of trouble. He's lucky he was in that era, he'd never get off the ground in this :eek::eek::eek: me too era. So, i have to say, no, it wouldn't have changed much with cus or rooney. maybe inside the ring he would have done better but he still would have been a sucker for those bitches.

Completely agree. He had too many demons that would be exploited by the sharks like Don King.

If Tyson had stayed with Rooney(like Manny and Freddie) he had the potential to be the best ever.

Loved watching these guys do their thing, Mike doing Lomachenko before Lomachenko was born.

No, you can't train heart. Tyson has never had the warrior heart, now if he had that warrior heart like Evander or Pacquiao have shown he would be a monster he had all the skills man but he lacked heart in the ring he basically gave up if he couldn't bully you or scare you and if you pushed back and hurt him he never dug deep to overcome it.

Doesn’t matter if he had Mr. Myagi or Deepok Chopra as a pad man.
He was bound for trouble as bat shit crazy is gonna do just that and manifest outward.
Could’ve been reduced though I reckon.

No, you can't train heart. Tyson has never had the warrior heart, now if he had that warrior heart like Evander or Pacquiao have shown he would be a monster he had all the skills man but he lacked heart in the ring he basically gave up if he couldn't bully you or scare you and if you pushed back and hurt him he never dug deep to overcome it.

In what way was he bullying? He was throwing punches with the intention to hurt, probably because its the sport of boxing. You nutball.

Holyfield lost fights too.

In what way was he bullying? He was throwing punches with the intention to hurt, probably because its the sport of boxing. You nutball.

Holyfield lost fights too.
Tyson was the classic bully mentality, many boxing experts have said this and tyson himself admit it. He would try to intimidate you early scare you and then if you showed no fear like holyfield and fought back just like an insecure bully he would crumble.

And what does holyfield having losses have to do with it? Holyfield had the heart of a lion, tyson basically quit when the going got tough, you never seen him in a fight like evander vs bowe, evander severely undersized and hurt by the much bigger bowe came back trying to go for the ko in the very same round this was in round ten late in the match and down on the cards, tyson would have quit by then when he realize he couldnt hurt his opponent but evander always had hope no matter what adversity he could still win. Heart of a lion. Tyson just gave up.

When tyson was an amateur he started crying and ran away a few minutes before one of his bouts and was scared.

Tysons skills were amazing, but he lacked the championship heart.

Tyson was the classic bully mentality, many boxing experts have said this and tyson himself admit it.

Seems like it worked for him, though you use it as something against him. But to be honest, I still don't know what you're talking about, and to which "experts" you refer.. Hopefully not Teddy "Tyson has a record of 0-279" Atlas.

He would try to intimidate you early scare you

So Larry Holmes, Tommy Hearns, Marvin Hagler, Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, etc. smiled at their opponents and tried to make the night as comfortable as possible for them? Intimidation is a skill in boxing, not a flaw.

and then if you showed no fear like holyfield and fought back just like an insecure bully he would crumble.

How do you know that the boxers, that got the piss beaten of them by Tyson, were scared? Do you have some type of measurement device that you hold on your monitor and that tells you that Tony Tucker has a fear level of 8/10 and Holyfield a 2/10?

It's again the same nonsense. Everyone that got wrecked by him sucked, any time he lost it's a proof that he sucked ... highly objective ...

Tyson had skills, IQ, technique and of course athleticism. Yet certain people try to degrade him to much less.

Last edited:
Seems like it worked for him, though you use it as something against him. But to be honest, I still don't know what you're talking about, and to which "experts" you refer.. Hopefully not Teddy "Tyson has a record of 0-279" Atlas.

So Larry Holmes, Tommy Hearns, Marvin Hagler, Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, etc. smiled at their opponents and tried to make the night as comfortable as possible for them? Intimidation is a skill in boxing, not a flaw.

How do you know that the boxers, that got the piss beaten of them by Tyson, were scared? Do you have some type of measurement device that you hold on your monitor and that tells you that Tony Tucker has a fear level of 8/10 and Holyfield a 2/10?

It's again the same nonsense. Everyone that wrecked by him sucked, any time he lost it's a proof that he sucked ... highly objective ...

Tyson had skills, IQ, technique and of course athleticism. Yet certain people try to degrade him to much less.
You are not understanding anything, you are already offended i never insulted his skills. I said he had the skills and talent, he just lacked heart, you seem to not get that through your thick head. He didn't have a warrior heart. He was built up knocking out scrubs on espn, what age did you start watching Tyson?

Find me a fight where. Tyson dug deep and down on the cards or nearly knocked out refused to quit and came back? All the all time greats have shown this even floyd mayweather who people say is a runner, he has been in dog fights, he refused to quit again augustus. Rocked hard by mosley and bit down and walked him down. Tyson zoned out when he couldn't impose his will on you, and if the going went tough he looked for a way out. Biting holyfield ear, pacman was fought dirty as fuck against jeff horn yet continued on and tried to rally back in round nine he was down on the cards with three bloody head butts and undersized yet refused to bow down at 39 years old.

Not so sure about that. Mike was completely under Cus' spell. He would have blindly killed people had Cus ordered him to. Ironically, Cus was also very permissive with Tyson and allowed him to get away with shit he didn't tolerate from other people (like harassing Teddy's sister) to gain Mike's trust and affection. The old man was smart as a fox and extremely manipulative. I'm sure he would have found a way to keep mike in line. Maybe by allowing him to have plenty of sex in his house after each victory or something like that. It's hard for me to imagine Cus not being able to control Tyson given how succesful he was in training him in all aspects of life. I mean, dude initially came to Cus' house in order to rob him and ended up staying there permanently and cleaning his own room.

Not so sure about that. Mike was completely under Cus' spell. He would have blindly killed people had Cus ordered him to. Ironically, Cus was also very permissive with Tyson and allowed him to get away with shit he didn't tolerate from other people (like harassing Teddy's sister) to gain Mike's trust and affection. The old man was smart as a fox and extremely manipulative. I'm sure he would have found a way to keep mike in line. Maybe by allowing him to have plenty of sex in his house after each victory or something like that. It's hard for me to imagine Cus not being able to control Tyson given how succesful he was in training him in all aspects of life. I mean, dude initially came to Cus' house in order to rob him and ended up staying there permanently and cleaning his own room.
maybe, Mike says in his bio that cus had a paranoia that mike would leave him, probably just because of the traumas of earlier fighters leaving him, and tyson said he'd never have left cus. talk is cheap though, fame would have tested the relationship like nothing else, as it often does. Don King would have still been there planting bullshit in Mike's mind, the women? the women were a major problem, first robin givens, then desiree washington, cus wouldn't have been able to stop that from going on I don't think. Most men have serious issues with women, Ali did too and it certainly didn't help him, or joe louis or henry armstrong.

cus was brilliant though, he did have a way of using psychology, but tyson wasn't stupid, yet even when he saw through cus' ploys, he had no doubts that cus wanted what was best for him. he tells an amusing story of how cus caught him smoking weed, cus said, "hey, let me have some of that, it must be really good because the white man uses it to keep your people down" of course i'm paraphrasing but you get the gist.

No. The hype for Tyson in the 80s was unreal. Yes he was good but even in his early bouts it was already clear he had difficulty with taller opponents who were either skilled or tough or both. He wasn't just going to blast through those types of fighters. Off the top of my head Bonecrusher Smith and Mitch Green fights come to mind.

Yes those were clear wins but the writing was on the wall. In no world does he beat Ali. I don't think he beats Foreman. Not sure about Frazier that's a toss up to me.

Back