Can we agree that the SWs and BWs need to fight more?

skysolo

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
Rousey and Jędrzejczyk will have 3 fights each within a year. Brava to them for being active.

Also VanZant (a UFC darling) will also have her third fight within a year.

But WTF is the UFC doing with the other fighters in those divisions?

It is a fact that more than half the BWs have not fought more than once since August of 2014 including the previous title challenger. And not all are injured or not wanting fights. I can name 5 that have been complaining on twitter about being inactive.

The SW division is no better. Rose Namajunas' opponent is pulled from her fight so Rose has to wait 5 months for another one?

And I can't even understand the agrument that nobody wants to see WMMA. That is stupid.

I also can't buy that there aren't enough fighters in the divisions. That is also stupid. Rousey seems to have no problem finding opponents.

And with there being 30 UFC shows a year, there is room for more WMMA. I want to see more from the divisions besides Rousey and Jędrzejczyk.

Supply vs. demand. Extremely low demand for WMMA content outside of Rousey and a select few + extremely shallow divisions = long wait times between fights.

If you can't be champ or create interest for yourself otherwise like PVZ, you need to suck it up and deal with reality. It's just like low sponsorship pay. Get sponsors by making yourself more marketable or deal with reality. Whining on forums or on podcasts changes nothing.

And I can't even understand the agrument that nobody wants to see WMMA. That is stupid.

You really can't understand this argument? Because it is straightforward. There is a limited demand for WMMA, except for the fighters at the top of either division. Thus the UFC is very careful in how much WMMA they put on a card unless it is Rousey or JJ.

It isn't stupid at all. It's hard to make people tune in for and especially to pay for what they don't want to see.

edit:
Supply vs. demand. Extremely low demand for WMMA content outside of Rousey and a select few + extremely shallow divisions = long wait times between fights.

If you can't be champ or create interest for yourself otherwise like PVZ, you need to suck it up and deal with reality. It's just like low sponsorship pay. Get sponsors by making yourself more marketable or deal with reality. Whining on forums or on podcasts changes nothing.

This.

Everyone should fight more in the entire UFC roster!

How many times per year is a champion defending the belt nowadays, 1, 2? Shame

They have too many fighters in the LW and WW divisions that nobody cares about.

You really can't understand this argument? Because it is straightforward. There is a limited demand for WMMA, except for the fighters at the top of either division. Thus the UFC is very careful in how much WMMA they put on a card unless it is Rousey or JJ.

It isn't stupid at all. It's hard to make people tune in for and especially to pay for what they don't want to see.

edit:

This.

Oh really?

So the general populace are clamoring for Nick Hein, Chico Camus, George Roop, or Matt Hobar?

Each one of those guys are fighting their third fight in a year. All the while Randa Markos is blowing up Sean Shelby and twitter.

Also the supply and demand model does not apply in this instance. And besides that you really have no idea what the demand for WMMA inside the UFC happens to be.

Last edited:
LOL. You should've framed it in the form of a question. Out of the whole WMMA roster which 3 girls will get 3 fights a year? I guarantee most could name them. I think some are really naive on this whole thing. They didn't give shit about WMMA at all at first, not one bit. It was the Ronda show. They saw a money fighter with a big personality. They've grown WMMA a little but not much has changed. Now they also give a shit about JJ and Paige. Other than those 3 and to a lesser extent maybe one or two girls in each division everyone else is kind of just some prop. A possible opponent for one of the very few WMMA fighters they care about, want to promote and develop.

Sarah Kaufmann was he former champ and always an active fighter. She's begging to get fights and pretty much has been since the day WMMA arrived in the UFC. They don't give a shit about her. If Nunes got injured before the McMann fight they probably wouldn't have given her a fight for another half a year and not spent 5 seconds thinking about her or her place in the BW division. They could very easily add a 11th-12th fight to all the cards throwing two girls in there. Most are at the low end of the pay scale anyways, so it's not costly. It would take minimal thought, effort or caring on the UFC's part. There's a reason they don't. It was always obvious to me.

They''ll talk about how badass Ronda, any girl or either division is more than they'll actually put on fights. Sheep believe what they say anyways. SW is brand new. It has top-10 fighter heck former champs who don't look that skilled and some ranked girls have like 6 total fights. Yet you already have shills saying it some awesome stacked division.

The newest pretty cheerleader on the block is getting more fights and attention then the entire top-10 they devoted a reality show to. What more do you need to say? That sums it up.

Last edited:
Yes, I would love to see the ladies fighting more, and with smarter match ups being set up. There is no reason for Andrade to have been called to fill in for Carmouche, none.

Andrade just fought and won a month ago .. the Pennington fight should have gone to Germaine (who is a killer btw), or Kaufman who is a very skilled, and willing former champ.

It would also be nice if Shelby could get his shit together when it comes to making matches.

Also the supply and demand model does not apply in this instance.

Lol. Yes it does. I'm not saying you have to like it, but you never even offered a competing explanation. I'd love to watch Randa Markos fight more.

LOL. You should've framed it in the form of a question. Out of the whole WMMA roster which 3 girls will get 3 fights a year? I guarantee most could name them. I think some are really naive on this whole thing. They didn't give whit about WMMA at all at first, not one bit. It was the Ronda show. They saw a money fighter with a big personality. They've grown WMMA a little but not much has changed. Now they also give a shit about JJ and Paige. Other than those 3 and to a lesser extent a maybe one or two girls in each division everyone else is kind of just some prop. A possible opponent for one of the very few WMMA fighters they are about, want to promote and develop.

Sarah Kaufmann was he former champ and always an active fighter. She's begging to get fights and pretty much has been since the day WMMA arrived in the UFC. They don't give a shit about her. If Nunes got injured before the McMann fight they probably wouldn't have given her a fight for another half a year and not spent 5 seconds thinking about her or her place in the BW division. They could very easily add a 11th-12th fight to all the cards throwing two girls in there. Most are at the low end of the pay scale anyways, so it's not costly. It would take minimal thought, effort or caring on the UFC's part. Their a reason they don't. It was always obvious to me.

Sadly, this seems accurate. They should let UFC WMMA fighters also take fights in Invicta to stay busy and build resumes, and only have the best matchups and fighters on the UFC cards.

I don't see how "extremely shallow" divisions would contribute to long wait times between fights for individuals in a division. It seems to me that it makes more sense to expect long wait times in divisions that are extremely deep, not shallow.

Throw in the men's bantamweight division while you're at it:

Dominick Cruz
Raphael Assuncao
Michael McDonald
Pedro Munhoz
Rob Font
Chris Holdsworth
Michinori Tanaka
Johnny Eduardo
Mitch Gagnon
Kyung Ho Kang
David Grant

All inactive.

Lol. Yes it does. I'm not saying you have to like it, but you never even offered a competing explanation. I'd love to watch Randa Markos fight more.

No it doesn't. Because you are using an economic model based on your theory with no evidence. You don't know and can't know the demand for WMMA inside the UFC.

You can only rationally determine the supply side. Meaning that you can reasonably calculate, by looking at the UFC's schedule, the number of events and the number of fights on those events.

So you know that the UFC has X amount of spots that need to be filled and a reasonable person can determine that the UFC's male roster will not be used to fill each spot.

For example Nick Hein and George Roop. Where is the demand for these two guys? But those two fights are being supplied regardless.

Throw in the men's bantamweight division while you're at it:

Dominick Cruz
Raphael Assuncao
Michael McDonald
Pedro Munhoz
Rob Font
Chris Holdsworth
Michinori Tanaka
Johnny Eduardo
Mitch Gagnon
Kyung Ho Kang
David Grant

All inactive.

At least Cruz and Assun

No it doesn't. Because you are using an economic model based on your theory with no evidence. You don't know and can't know the demand for WMMA inside the UFC.

You can only rationally determine the supply side. Meaning that you can reasonably calculate, by looking at the UFC's schedule, the number of events and the number of fights on those events.

So you know that the UFC has X amount of spots that need to be filled and a reasonable person can determine that the UFC's male roster will not be used to fill each spot.

For example Nick Hein and George Roop. Where is the demand for these two guys? But those two fights are being supplied regardless.

At least Cruz and Assun

I knew this was gonna happen when they created the womens divisions. They were all happy on twitter thanking Dana, Lorenzo and the UFC saying how grateful they are but now they're desperate for fights.

Yes, I would love to see the ladies fighting more, and with smarter match ups being set up. There is no reason for Andrade to have been called to fill in for Carmouche, none.

Andrade just fought and won a month ago .. the Pennington fight should have gone to Germaine (who is a killer btw), or Kaufman who is a very skilled, and willing former champ.

It would also be nice if Shelby could get his shit together when it comes to making matches.

I've been waiting for Germaine to fight again. Kaufman is always asking for fights and calling people out, sad they look over her for someone who recently just fought.

The UFC is smart to start slow when it comes to new divisions, including the women.

Right now it's all about finding match-ups for the champions. As the divisions become more established, the demand for contender and prospect matches will increase.

Back