Can UFC go as far as boxing by making a female the biggest star?

woloo

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Can UFC go as far as boxing by making a female the biggest star?

Honestly I see something wrong with the UFC sport.

Boxing had starts like Muhammad Ali, Mike Tyson, Floyd/Pacquiao. Women boxing is no way near men's.

Whereas UFC introduced a female division 4-5 years ago. Considering that I think it was a big change. Now Ronda is the face of combat sport. I could never imagine a female would dominate the sport and headlining more than men's.

Boxing is on a different track. Can UFC catch up with or overtake boxing as a sport?

Last edited:
but some people say boxing is a dying sport. after Floyd retires, who else is left.

Did ufc die when GSP and Brock bailed, boxing like ufc like any sport will create and market a new hero new villain a new person of interest.

Think like a adult with a functioning brain not a retarded child but but but what if.

My mom knows who Ronda Rousey is. That's when I knew that she had really made it mainstream.

MMA's yearly PPV income is usually measurably higher than boxing and pro wrestling.

WWE has many more events yearly and gets a bigger cable audience, but the UFC has Fight Nights and The Ultimate Fighter which get decent ratings that will likely increase slightly this upcoming season with Mcgregor.

Boxing has about 5 people who occasionally break more than 500k ppv buys. Sure, Floyde/Manny did twice the PPV's of UFC 100, but that's one fight. And both of those guys will be retired by 2017.

MMA is about as big as it can get, and it's going to have some good sales this year between Ronda blowing up and how well Aldo/Mcgregor is going to do.

canelo, cotto, GGG to name a few

If you go around asking random people who they are, a lot of people wont know, and even the people who know the names won't know what weight they fight at or who they've fought recently.

You will find some people who do tho.

If you go around asking people who Jon Jones, Ronda Rousey and Cain Velasquez are, you'll get about the same ratio. If anything a better one since every female on my facebook is suddenly a Ronda fan

but some people say boxing is a dying sport. after Floyd retires, who else is left.

People already said that when Oscar was the face of boxing and somebody took his spot once floyd retire it's gonna be either Canelo or GGG

Watch this 2007 clip of Rogan being an idiot years later

[YT]TtKx41UdCj0[/YT]

Someone else will come along ...... they always do. We'll probably never see another Floyd, but there'll be some stars no doubt.

I highly doubt it. Ronda is an anomaly. I don't think MMA could "overtake" boxing even if it started to thrive. MMA does have the niche that boxing doesn't in female fighters, I guess.

People already said that when Oscar was the face of boxing and somebody took his spot once floyd retire it's gonna be either Canelo or GGG

Watch this 2007 clip of Rogan being an idiot years later

[YT]TtKx41UdCj0[/YT]

Rogan doing his best Bill O'Reilly impression shouting over someone thinking it wins arguments, and being wrong.

I doubt it but you never know.
Look at soccer in America, 10 years ago it was a joke but now it's drawing more and more viewers and it's only ever going to get bigger, it'll never ever get smaller because it's the most popular sport in the world and Americans are finally latching onto it.

You can't even compare MMA with boxing because MMA is not a serious sport. MMA has no serious infrastructure to recruit top talented ahtletes, it simply just relies on American wrestlers, Brazilian jiu jitsu guys and an Eastern European grappler here and there starting to crosstrain and compete in MMA. In most of Europe MMA is not viewed as a sport at all, only olympic fighting sports are valued and hardly anyone who's successful in olympic sports would cross to MMA because there's less money (olympic wrestlers and judokas do get paid by their countries in Europe, they're better of than in MMA).

The only people who think MMA will overtake boxing are retards who constantly set up fantasy matches between MMA fighters and athletes from other combat sports, claiming that MMA fighters are somehow superior because they would beat those fighters in "real fighting", that's why this forum is full of Ronda vs men threads.

Most of the world doesn't give a shit about that, people want to see sportsmen (and women) from their countries beat athletes from other countries in legitimate traditional sporting competitions with established rules and some history behind it. That's why European countries invest in wrestling, judo and boxing, but not in MMA.

Another thing is that it's an undisputed fact of history that people prefer watching boxing to grappling because boxing is a more beautiful fighting art. That's the reason why boxing has 100+ years of tradition as a modern sport and MMA is a 20 year old obscurity. If people would like to see "no rules" brawls then MMA would have had 100+ years of tradition, but it doesn't. It's not like MMA is anything revolutionary, it could have been invented any time in history, you simply set the fight to few rules if any. Wrestling and judo exist for a long time but have never captured the attention of the public in the same way as boxing did. Boxing is a noble art and aristocratic sport, it has something that MMA will never have. MMA was cool back in the Pride days and that's where most of realistic MMA fans like me come from, this new UFC generation will drive everyone normal away.

This man speaks the truth. MMA and the UFC are only "huge" because Dana White keeps telling you it is.

Mark of a niche sport: a female as your biggest draw.

And there are retards like Bowerman who thinks Rousey sucks but male MMA fighters actually have skill and talent. The reality is there are no skill or talent in MMA. The talent pool isn't remotely there, the infrastructure for recruiting it isn't remotely there, the history isn't remotely there. It's a fringe sport filled with subpar athletes who would fail at major sport, it's entertainment spectacle, take it for what it is. Fifty years down the line, it could be a whole different story. Now? Just enjoy watching subpar athletes crushing cans.

Everybody who's still active, including the guys who'll make more per fight than most MMA fighters will in a career. They'll always be around.

@ Slavic Fury

You make a lot of good points, but I disagree with the notion that an aristocratic background contributes much to a sport's popularity. Most popular sports are not aristocratic. Most aristocratic sports are not popular.

----------

Regarding the Ronda hype, don't forget that since social media is around, every crap can go viral in an instant and disappear just as quickly. Most people are not interested in MMA. Right now, 95% of Ronda fans are probably not interested in MMA.

Another thing that I'd like to add is that back in Pride days MMA didn't take itself as seriously which was a good thing. It was content with its status as an interesting new sport and fighters weren't hyped to Ronda levels. That's why a lot of fans like me were attracted to it. The biggest stars like Fedor and Cro Cop were always respectfull. Now you see the leading people at the UFC and UFC's biggest starts hyping themselves as the best athletes who have ever walked on the earth, openly bashing other sports and picking playground fights with athletes who aren't even interested in MMA.

I mean seriously, how do they think bashing sports like boxing and swimming (Ronda's totally unprovoked attack on Phelps) is going to attract fans to MMA and help it gain legitimacy as a sport? As if you can't be both boxing and MMA fan. Maybe it's an American thing, you never see football (soccer) fans bashing basketball or vice versa in Europe, most of the time it's actually same sport fans watching both football and basketball and everything else from tennis to formula 1. Same goes for combat sports. I like both boxing and MMA but it's hard to respect UFC when they constantly bash your favourite sport and its top athletes for no reason whatsoever other than some childish inferiority complex or whatever it is. Now many dumb and brainwashed fans have started to parrot this and it has come to the point when people seriously debate this Ronda vs Mayweather crap. Back in the Pride days I don't remember Fedor vs Klitschko being the main point of discussion.

You do raise a good point there at the end, I know that Fedor and the Klitschko's have respect for each other. Wladimir spoke well of Fedor recently, so that would also contribute to such debates not being made among fans.

UFC didn't make Ronda its biggest star, after her first fight they've spent little money promoting her compared to the other champs. The ppv cards she's headlined have been pretty weak and she's become their biggest draw in spite of it. Fans, casuals, folks who post here want Ronda Rousey over Cain or Werdum.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back