Can Trump run again in 2024 if he loses in 2020?

Should Donald Trump run again in 2024 if he loses the 2020 election?

• Yes

Votes: 46 37.1%
  • No

Votes: 78 62.9%

• Total voters

Oliver Clothesoff

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
vhttps://www.10tv.com/article/news/verify/trump-can-run-2024-if-loses-2020/507-144cfc36-f62b-4f30-b747-ef5642af38f7

THE QUESTION
Can Donald Trump run again in 2024 if he loses the 2020 election?

THE ANSWER
Yes. While the 22nd Amendment limits presidents to two terms, it doesn’t say that those terms have to be back to back. Since President Trump has only served one term at this point, he’s legally eligible to serve again in the future if he loses in November.

WHAT WE FOUND

The 22nd Amendment was ratified and added to the Constitution in 1951. It officially established that “no person shall be elected to the office of the President more than twice.” But it doesn’t say anything about those terms being consecutive and no other laws or rules are preventing it.

This actually has happened in U.S. history. Democrat Grover Cleveland won the presidency in 1884, but lost his reelection campaign to Benjamin Harrison four years later. Cleveland ran again against Harrison in 1892 and won. He served two terms as president but they weren’t consecutive.

So what say you Sherdog? If Trump loses in 2020 should he run again in 2024? Discuss....

That would be as pathetic as Russia gate.

If this ever happened with anyone, would they be limited to four years on their second term?

If this ever happened with anyone, would they be limited to four years on their second term?
Yes. You get two terms but they don't have to be consecutive. It's already happened once. Grover Cleveland lost his second term, came back four years later and won a second term. I could see it happening if they feel that Covid voting shenanigans were responsible for his loss.

Depending on how big a shit show Kamala is for the next four years (assuming they win the lawsuits and win) I could see it happening again in 2024 with normal voting procedures and I bet this time he wins. I am expecting to see a lot of Dems who didn't think Biden could actually win, with buyers remorse.

Last edited:
Yes. You get two terms but they don't have to be consecutive. It's already happened once. Grover Cleveland lost his second term, came back four years later and won a second term.

Did he run for re-election after his second term, or was obligated to step down?

I honestly don’t think he gets the Primary. While he has huge support, he’s also a hugely polarizing figure that gets Dems mobilized

I honestly don’t think he gets the Primary. While he has huge support, he’s also a hugely polarizing figure that gets Dems mobilized
I think it depends on HOW he loses. If they uncover blatant shadiness (which they already are) and feel like it was stolen, and depending on how much of a shit show Kamala will be as POTUS, I think he could win a primary. Assuming of course, the Republicans haven't found a better version of Trump to run instead. Imagine that.... would be entertaining for sure.

Did he run for re-election after his second term, or was obligated to step down?
As I understand it, he wouldn't have been able to run for a 3rd term.
No, the 2-term limit didn't exist at the time of Cleveland's presidency. He could have ran for a third. That was amended following FDR.

No, the 2-term limit didn't exist at the time of Cleveland's presidency. He could have ran for a third. That was amended following FDR.
Oh, didn't know that. I was going off the rules now. Thanks. :cool:

Last edited:
Back