Can Tony use offensive wrestling against Khabib?

He can try but I expect he wouldn't get the takedown or would get swept shortly after. I think other than Tibau everyone who has taken down Khabib got stuffed or reversed and even against Tibau, Khabib got up from the takedowns right away.

Yes, especially when Khabib starts with his furry to get his opponent to the cage, I have a feeling that instead of backing out Tony will start a grappling exchange just to stay on the center.
Tony has to, he cant give up the centre.once his feet get behind the black painted octagon strips he has to force an exchange.

What technique ? Barboza landed on top, he was in a superior posiiton until he got upkicked and the fight stopped. You do this against Khabib and you are probably getting your back taken or your face smashed
Youre right, they dont call it 50/50 for nothing

Id love to see how Khabib deals with this type of technique and Tonys reaction if Khabib defends
DizzyElectricEsok-size_restricted.gif
an ill-advised imanari roll, Barboza got the better of him after this roll then Tony resorted to an illegal up kick to get out of it he was stuck under fkn Barboza

Id like to see someone go the same route Jones did with Chael.I remember Jon saying he Chael Sonnened Chael Sonnen or something of that nature

Tony has the unorthodox takedowns and submissions.Honestly would just like to see Khabibs tdd tested.If Tony goes in defensive like every other fighter Khabibs going to win via decision imo.

Thoughts?

Edit:This is one reason Id like to see Gsp vs Khabib.He aint going to sit back and wait like every other khabib opponent
Respectfully, that's just a bad analogy. I mean Chael said it himself , he didnt realize until hands were put on him that he felt he was getting whooped by a bear. That was mw sonnen vs the 205 champion slicing through everyone at 205 let alone some overrated middleweight.
It would take a gsp who could probably morph into a large opponent come 36 hours later when they made walk. Khabib is big dense mofo at 155( and wrestler of course which makes that rather significant)so Tony would have to take different avenue to suggest what you're implying. Tony is one of only a few dangerous opponents for khabib ( for right now, at least).Hes creative on feet and ground and " could" catch bhibster with something. Khabib will be over 2-1 favorite for a reason but this is a fight he could lose. Tony a bit wreckless and thats where I see khabib taking advantage but this is one fight that hopefully and finally happens.

Respectfully, that's just a bad analogy. I mean Chael said it himself , he didnt realize until hands were put on him that he felt he was getting whooped by a bear. That was mw sonnen vs the 205 champion slicing through everyone at 205 let alone some overrated middleweight.
It would take a gsp who could probably morph into a large opponent come 36 hours later when they made walk. Khabib is big dense mofo at 155( and wrestler of course which makes that rather significant)so Tony would have to take different avenue to suggest what you're implying. Tony is one of only a few dangerous opponents for khabib ( for right now, at least).Hes creative on feet and ground and " could" catch bhibster with something. Khabib will be over 2-1 favorite for a reason but this is a fight he could lose. Tony a bit wreckless and thats where I see khabib taking advantage but this is one fight that hopefully and finally happens.
In short I want to see someone khabib khabib, only reason I used that analogy.I also believe Tony isnt on the same level as Jon is.must be said I cant remember anyone testing chaels tdd up until jones.employing the same old defensive wrestling tactics ie fighting for the underhook, sprawing just aint going to work imo.Khabibs seen the same old tired techniques time after time and has probably had them used against him by guys like DC over and over again.

Tony has the cardio and the wrestling ability to go on the offensvie, as well as techniques like the imanari roll to change it up.

Id like to see someone go the same route Jones did with Chael.I remember Jon saying he Chael Sonnened Chael Sonnen or something of that nature

Tony has the unorthodox takedowns and submissions.Honestly would just like to see Khabibs tdd tested.If Tony goes in defensive like every other fighter Khabibs going to win via decision imo.

Thoughts?

Edit:This is one reason Id like to see Gsp vs Khabib.He aint going to sit back and wait like every other khabib opponent
There is nothing unorthodox about Ferguson's takedowns or submissions. Shooting a slow, lazy double is all he can do. At this point people are just spouting sheer nonsense based on their fantasies.

No. If/when this happens, Tony should only be thinking about striking as long as he's standing, and then go into his continuous attack from the bottom mode if he gets taken down.

In short I want to see someone khabib khabib, only reason I used that analogy.I also believe Tony isnt on the same level as Jon is.must be said I cant remember anyone testing chaels tdd up until jones.employing the same old defensive wrestling tactics ie fighting for the underhook, sprawing just aint going to work imo.Khabibs seen the same old tired techniques time after time and has probably had them used against him by guys like DC over and over again.

Tony has the cardio and the wrestling ability to go on the offensvie, as well as techniques like the imanari roll to change it up.
I understand Tony's side of things - I'm with you there except that khabib is a big dense 155er with a wrestling base..... so easier said than done. Hey, theres no question that Dustin had khabib in an uncomfortable position so who knows . Khabib only going to get better but I do believe him to be beatable. Someone in 155 world has his ticket ready to be punched. Tony capable but I think bhibster puts together a string of defenses before ticket gets punched.

Id love to see how Khabib deals with this type of technique and Tonys reaction if Khabib defends
DizzyElectricEsok-size_restricted.gif
doing that against a non wrestler and it still not being all that effective is totally different than doing it against khabib.

an ill-advised imanari roll, Barboza got the better of him after this roll then Tony resorted to an illegal up kick to get out of it he was stuck under fkn Barboza

They were on the mat for a few seconds, c'mon LOL. "Stuck under him" is silly. The upkick was unfortunate but anyone who thinks that would have ended up well for Edson regardless is ignoring what we've seen in terms of both guys' abilities on the ground.

I understand Tony's side of things - I'm with you there except that khabib is a big dense 155er with a wrestling base..... so easier said than done. Hey, theres no question that Dustin had khabib in an uncomfortable position so who knows . Khabib only going to get better but I do believe him to be beatable. Someone in 155 world has his ticket ready to be punched. Tony capable but I think bhibster puts together a string of defenses before ticket gets punched.
Youre right dustin did trouble him, looked good when he pressed.

Sometimes OFFENCE can be your greatest defence, In saying that I have khabib winning.

If he allows him on top, if Tony could somehow get him down first things could get interesting.

Im not sure a bottom game exits that can neutralise or submit khabib at 155.

tony doesn't wrestle that way..he's a bjj guy, not a wrestler...kevin lee took tony down easily..tony is good off his back...which is why he caught lee in a triangle...khabib will not get caught. and i don't really see anyone taking him down...aside from a really good wrestler like Gillespi or a guy like that...but even then, nobody is keeping khabib down for more than a second...

I say yes, no one shoot takedown on khabib so we dont know if his takedown defense is good. He might suck on his back too!

even though this fight happened a decade ago, and khabib is a far better fighter now, Tibau went for a takedown on khabib and got him down, but khabib got right back up...he's alot like dc in that, he's impossible to keep down...

Islam has the potential to keep the fight standing and outstrike Khabib on the feet. Islam is without a doubt a significantly better striker and his wrestling is Khabib-tier. However, they're not going to fight.

Other than that, Gillespie and Gaethje have the best chances. No one is going to beat Khabib from the bottom.

Youre right dustin did trouble him, looked good when he pressed.

Sometimes OFFENCE can be your greatest defence, In saying that I have khabib winning.

dustin troubled khabib for a whole 5 seconds...he landed on punch...which I think stunned khabib a bit...but khabib is really good at evading strikes...and he evaded every strike after...

Back