Opinion Can the political culture of the U.S. go back to normal again?

J6LdUIJ.gif

So are we are we not safer from muslim terrorists now than we were under Obama?

Sorry, I had to ask....you think the party of unions is not the party of the blue collar worker?

Because the GOP is not the party of the blue collar worker either.

I didn't say the gop was good for unions. I said the left lost alot of blue collar voters.

Lol zomg white flag derp derp

Dear Crave, today Yorkist was very mean to me pls ban him...
This atrocity of a post aside, it's irrelevant because I wasn't discussing Democrats and I also never said there weren't other people who behaved in a reactionary way after 9/11.

This atrocity of a post aside, it's irrelevant because I wasn't discussing Democrats and I also never said there weren't other people who behaved in a reactionary way after 9/11.

You don't even know what was happening politically in 2001. If you don't understand the history, you can't understand the present.

That's my whole point. The occupation was not a show of force. It just showed that we lacked the resolve to do what needed to be done.

Lol @ these posts. Hundreds of Thousands of people died and yet it wasn’t a show of force.

How are you this dense. Honestly? How can someone be this clueless

Sorry, I had to ask....you think the party of unions is not the party of the blue collar worker?

Because the GOP is not the party of the blue collar worker either.

I don’t see how either party is the party of the white middle class class or blue collar worker. Trump at least paid some lip service to them, most likely winning him the election, despite his party’s interests.

Lol @ these posts. Hundreds of Thousands of people died and yet it wasn’t a show of force.

How are you this dense. Honestly? How can someone be this clueless

It wasn't. It showed how an occupation doesn't work against that type of enemy. Terorrists simply hide among the civilian population and pick you off one by one.

A show of force would have been 9/11'ing them back by destroying a symbol of their civilisation like they did to us.

We gave them the exact type of war they wanted.

I don’t see how either party is the party of the white middle class class or blue collar worker. Trump at least paid some lip service to them, most likely winning him the election, despite his party’s interests.

Well from all the outraged 'farmer bailouts' threads the lefties here made over the last year, it certainly seems Trump did something right for the people who voted for him.

And how about record low unemployment?

Trump has been crushing it on the jobs front and that's all midwesterners want. They just want the oppurtunity to earn.

I think there are two big issues here:

1. During the Bush 43 years, the intellectual basis of conservative ideology collapsed. Tax cuts failed to spur growth, as many conservatives expected (the Heritage Foundation predicted that the cuts would completely eliminate the debt by the end of Bush's term!), and in fact, growth following the Bush cuts was much slower than growth following the Clinton tax hikes. Deregulation/underregulation led to the GFC (not specifically related to Bush, but the general notion that deregulation is an unqualified boon did not survive Bush's presidency). The FP ideas of the movement were put into practice, and the results were equally a disaster. Cultural conservatism was identified with the religious right, which became hugely unfashionable.

If, as a party, your whole pitch to voters, your whole reason for existing, is essentially proved wrong, what can you do? You still hate the other guys. But pretty much all you got is that hate and identity politics (and no longer the nice but hypocritical Christian type--just nasty, racialized identity politics and calling everyone on the other side a criminal).

2. As this is all happening, as all the news coming out is bad, conservative thought leaders are denying reality and then saying that the usual sources of information--gov't-collected stats, academia, the media--are all just biased against them. The movement starts to turn against the idea of objective truth. You have the rise of think tanks as an alternative to academia and the rise of an alternative-reality media sphere. Turns out that telling conservatives, especially older ones, what they want to hear even if it's not true is a hugely lucrative business.

And BTW, with regard to that alternate reality, the real problem isn't gullibility as much as cynicism. On some level, I think most Fox viewers (to say nothing of InfoWars, Breitbart, or Prison Planet consumers) realize that it's kind of a game, but they just think, "we have our comforting lies, and other people have theirs." If someone believes something that's false, you can usually convince them. If someone doesn't believe that anyone really cares about what's true, they're just going to profess whatever beliefs give them more power.

Because of our Federal Reserve banking system, the national debt cannot and is not meant to be paid, so I'm not sure why the Heritage Foundation would make that prediction.
Hate and identity politics is all the right have in your mind, but since you are a leftist, I'm assuming you are doing that thing where they accuse everyone else of what they themselves are most guilty of.
If you don't think the media and universities are growing in their bias every day, you must be extremely close minded, unable to see the other side.
Fox News weren't the ones running a 2 year long propaganda campaign to divide the public.
Funny that you say conservatives deny reality when the left openly says facts are not important.
57 Genders. 12 Years left until the Earth is uninhabitable. White men being a plague upon society.
Maybe if this insanity ends, things will become somewhat normal again.

It wasn't. It showed how an occupation doesn't work against that type of enemy. Terorrists simply hide among the civilian population and pick you off one by one.

A show of force would have been 9/11'ing them back by destroying a symbol of their civilisation like they did to us.

We gave them the exact type of war they wanted.

911ing who? Iraq? They had nothing to do with 911.

You’re like the last to the party. I didn’t even know people like you still exist

911ing who? Iraq? They had nothing to do with 911.

You’re like the last to the party. I didn’t even know people like you still exist

islam. We shouldn't have invaded Iraq or Afghanistan. They didn't attack us, islam attacked us.

The war on terror was a war on islam, not on any one country.

Trump has a 30% rock solid base of support. Those people won't just disappear when Trump is gone. We have a pretty serious problem with a significant portion of the population being reactionaries. A serious serious problem.

It's going to take a huge event to get them straightened out, and it's not going to be a picnic getting there.

Honestly I think Trumps most solid base is your standard republicans, what won him the election though was picking up a lot of floating voters in the rust belt, a lot of whome voted for Obama previously.

Really I think what made Trump a success was holding to the idea that you don't need a coherent message, you can play to a lot of different people who will tend to pay attension to what they like and not so much to what they don't.

Back