can someone recommend a book or story with heavy lore?

deathgate7al1.jpg

The Death Gate Cycle is pretty nuts and the best fantasy series I have ever read.

I'm only one book into the Bas-Lag trilogy but this was a pretty stunning piece of creative writing to kick it off:

PerdidoStreetStation%281stEd%29.jpg

ASoIaF will quench your mind's thirst with endless character back stories - it's like a never ending puzzle of enjoyment. for me at least.

you will come across detractors saying GRRM writes at a "5th grade level". these are typically people who make such an assessment from watching the show alone.

hi

i want to read a story heavy on

1) many characters w/ heavy backgrounds, motives, defining characteristics. almost like how a lot of anime are, or comic books are....like LOTF (lots of different characters, entities with varying backgrounds like the huge trees, elves, humans, orcs, etc.); or even naruto (plethora of different characters with different abilities, backgrounds, motives, etc.

can anyone recommend? fantasy seems appropriate?

thank you

Try the Game of Thrones/A Song of Ice and Fire series... probably be perfect for what you are looking for

I have all of the ASoIaF books so far in PDF format if you want.

also all of the Dunk & Egg shorts

ASoIaF will quench your mind's thirst with endless character back stories - it's like a never ending puzzle of enjoyment. for me at least.

you will come across detractors saying GRRM writes at a "5th grade level". these are typically people who make such an assessment from watching the show alone.

There's so much to asoiaf. I've read the series like 5 times and still miss shit. I love to lurk on westeros and read all the theories and connections and shit.

thanks for all the suggestions guys, i will look into all of em

as for a song of fire and ice, i hear so much good about it but

i watched the first 3 or so episodes of game of thrones and got bored as fuq with it (As evidenced by my forgetting to watch anymore episodes)

is the book better? i am leaning towards buying this first since its so popular

If you're looking for heavy amounts of lore and back history, you'll love the books...its actually ridiculous how much crap is packed into those books

hi

i want to read a story heavy on

1) many characters w/ heavy backgrounds, motives, defining characteristics. almost like how a lot of anime are, or comic books are....like LOTF (lots of different characters, entities with varying backgrounds like the huge trees, elves, humans, orcs, etc.); or even naruto (plethora of different characters with different abilities, backgrounds, motives, etc.

can anyone recommend? fantasy seems appropriate?

thank you

What you are in fact looking for is A Song of Ice and Fire by GRR Martin, also known as the Game of Thrones series.

Star Wars Darth Bane trilogy. You learn where the rule of 2 comes from, has lots of back lore, and Bane is top 5 for Force users of all time, top 3 Sith. The books are in the time period between the Old Republic game and the new movies so all the characters will be new.

I came here to say this. The Extended Universe in general is the teets.

If you want to actually understand Star Wars, that's the way to go.

i watched the first 3 or so episodes of game of thrones and got bored as fuq with it (As evidenced by my forgetting to watch anymore episodes)

The books are better than the show (as is pretty much always the case).

Regarding the show though, I watched the first few episodes and didn't really like it either, but after a few more I started to really like it and am totally addicted. It takes a few episodes to get into though, maybe try a few more.

well, there are a lot of books by this author about women and dinosaurs making whoopy

209731.jpg

(sorry, but this stuff is too stupid not to spread around)

If you're willing to compromise on the elves and shit, read a Russian novel. Tolstoy, Dostoevsky, Solzhenitsyn, etc. They usually have a boatload of characters.

Redwall series. It's awesome.

And neverwhere. Great book.

The Illiad and The Odyssey by Homer.

ASoIaF is one of the better fantasy series because it deals with human motivations and drama instead of world shaking Evil Shit. Though that is on the horizon as well.

Outside of that, most fantasy is just drivel and is difficult to recommend.

Number one story I'd recommend to you is the Illuminatus! trilogy, followed by Foucault's Pendulum or Cryptonomicon. If you like the latter, the Baroque Cycle.

Back