can someone recommend a book or story with heavy lore?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by myung76, Oct 8, 2013.

1. myung76

myung76 Orange Belt

hi

i want to read a story heavy on

1) many characters w/ heavy backgrounds, motives, defining characteristics. almost like how a lot of anime are, or comic books are....like LOTF (lots of different characters, entities with varying backgrounds like the huge trees, elves, humans, orcs, etc.); or even naruto (plethora of different characters with different abilities, backgrounds, motives, etc.

can anyone recommend? fantasy seems appropriate?

thank you

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  2. Devout Pessimist

Devout Pessimist Tragic Vision

I am not a fan of the horrible writing style or the genre, but it sounds like you may be interested in Robert Jordan's "Wheel of Time" series.

3. King Charles**

King Charles** Purple Belt

The Bible.

4. Wow Exuberant**

Wow Exuberant** Banned Banned

You may be interested in the warcraft novels?

5. VeeEight

VeeEight Brown Belt

6. Absolute Power

Absolute Power A Real Human Bean

A Song of Ice and Fire

7. Malas

Malas Sent via carrier pigeon

[​IMG]

8. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

YUp should always start with this

9. Silverblur

Silverblur Purple Belt

[​IMG]

Sounds like exactly what you're looking for.

10. jefferz

jefferz Gold Belt Platinum Member

Star Wars Darth Bane trilogy. You learn where the rule of 2 comes from, has lots of back lore, and Bane is top 5 for Force users of all time, top 3 Sith. The books are in the time period between the Old Republic game and the new movies so all the characters will be new.

11. brapp085

brapp085 White Belt

A song of ice and fire. It's mostly humans, but it's the best.

12. drstrangelov

drstrangelov Hey.

You should read The Pale King by David Foster Wallace. It's like xmen in modern office setting.

13. SevenSamurai

SevenSamurai Silver Belt

Here's a non fiction offering that will satisfy:

Lords of Chaos: The Bloody Rise of the Satanic Metal Underground
    Basically a history of the early Norwegian Black Metal Scene.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lords_of_Chaos_(book)

Heavy Lore with Heavy Riffs.....win win

14. cmw43

cmw43 Bad Boys Club

Horus Rising by Dan Abnett

[​IMG]

It is the 31st millennium. Under the benevolent leadership of the Immortal Emperor, the Imperium of Man has stretched out across the galaxy. It is a golden age of discovery and conquest. But now, on the eve of victory, the Emperor leaves the front lines, entrusting the great crusade to his favourite son, Horus. Promoted to Warmaster, can the idealistic Horus carry out the Emperor’s grand plan, or will this promotion sow the seeds of heresy amongst his brothers? Horus Rising is the first chapter in the epic tale of the Horus Heresy, a galactic civil war that threatened to bring about the extinction of humanity.

Horus Rising, the series opener, starts its real time narrative in the early years of the 31st millennium, during the 203rd Terran year of the Great Crusade. It describes the rise to power of Horus Lupercal, Primarch of the "Luna Wolves" Legion of Space Marines (the 16th Legion of 20 formed originally), and the most versatile and favoured "son" of the Emperor. The Emperor has recently appointed him Warmaster (overall commander of Imperial military forces) and has left him in charge of the Crusade; he then returns to Terra, where in relative isolation is undertaking a secret project that even Horus is not privy to. Much of the focus of this novel is on Garviel Loken, Captain of the Luna Wolves' 10th Company. He becomes a member of the Mournival (an informal advisory body to Horus), and participates in Crusade campaigns against anti-Imperials and aliens. The story also hints at tensions in the nascent Imperium, exacerbated by the Emperor's absence and actions

4.17/5 on GoodReads
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/625603.Horus_Rising

Review

"This is the first Warhammer 40k novel I've read, and I'm pretty damn impressed by it. I guess I was expecting just a fun, escapist, nerdy read, maybe with a bunch of forced, lazy and gimmicky elements in it —after all, Warhammer 40k started as a sci-fi/fantasy tabletop game with a lore that clearly wasn't meant to be taken seriously. But wow, they did manage to create and develop a pretty complex mythos that is actually rich and believable. I understand Dan Abnett played a big role in that.

"Horus Rising" shows a lot of themes. Think of it as a mix of Roman history and ethos (both military and political), Crusader zealotry, both Christian doctrine and history, and Enlightenment dogmas. Throw in some great, memorable characters, a few cultural clashes and a bunch of battles with aliens and demon-like beings —what you get is pure awesome. Weird as all that sounds, Abnett pulls it off.

This is the first book in the Horus Heresy series. It is an introductory novel, its purpose is to set the stage for the heresy, which is a major, defining event in the Warhammer 40k universe. It doesn't show the birth of Horus' rebellion, but tells how all the pieces fell in the right places for it to happen. It's quite epic and tragic. Also, I got to say this novel serves as a great starting point for anyone who's new to the Warhammer 40k universe. It tells you almost everything you need to know about it.

I simply loved this novel. Now, on to the 2nd book in the series... "

Last edited: Oct 8, 2013
  15. myung76

myung76 Orange Belt

thanks for all the suggestions guys, i will look into all of em

as for a song of fire and ice, i hear so much good about it but

i watched the first 3 or so episodes of game of thrones and got bored as fuq with it (As evidenced by my forgetting to watch anymore episodes)

is the book better? i am leaning towards buying this first since its so popular

16. Conrad

Conrad .........

It will hit your "lot s of character" mark two fold. First season of the series follows the book very well so take that as an indication. Got is a slow burn but once it gets goinng

17. Conrad

Conrad .........

Ugggh. That should have never been published.

18. MustangCobraSVT

MustangCobraSVT Green Belt

The books are definitely better then the TV show as it gets into a lot more detail and back story.

Why not read about animals with swords ala Redwall series?

19. CarbonFistprint

CarbonFistprint Brown Belt

Lord of the Flies?

20. Lucifer Alpha

Lucifer Alpha The Catastrophe

Malazan Book of the Fallen