Can someone explain why Gaethje is so dangerous for Conor?

how is he talking shit? both eddie and pourier ko'd gaetchje...so what exactly did he say that's not true? and conor hits 3x as hard as either pourer or alverez....

you can’t even spell Gaethje

he went down against Eddie and Dustin in the 3rd and 4th rounds
After going through absolute hell and giving out absolute hell
If you think for a single moment Conor could go as hard as those two for that long to finally put down Justin
You are fucking mental

Both Dustin and Eddie went through hell for 2-3 rounds to beat him. Conor hasn't shown the ability to go through that type of adversity.

As for the question at hand. Conor's losses all come from guys who weren't afraid to pressure him:

Duffy pressured right through him, took him down, submitted him.
Nate pressured through conor until conor panic wrestled.
Khabib literally walked conor down.

Gaethje is a fantastic Pressure fighter, but more than that he's become a very smart pressure fighter. On top of all of that he has lethal leg kicks and Conor's stance is very open for leg kicks.

you're really talking about duffy? he fought duffy like a decade ago, when he was a pimply faced teenager..haha and conor wouldn't have to go through 2-3 tough rounds, cause he is far more accurate, faster and hits much harder than either pourier or alverez...so the fight would be that much easier...look what conor did to both alverez and pourier...2 of his easiest fights to date.

I just don't see Conor reacting to those leg kicks well—no one has— and while Gaethje was very hittable in the past, he's been a lot more defensively responsible lately. Conor could spark him early, he's great at that and that's largely why I have it 50-50, but the longer the fight goes on and the more exchanges they have, I favor gaethje more and more—he simply has more dog in him than Conor has shown.I'd love to see the fight, but I doubt we will.

(I’m not calling you out I’m just speaking to you)

I find it hilarious how a quick stoppage over a fighter known to not handle pressure with no chin and quite clearly happy to show up
(Some would say fix)

and we’re back on the Conor wagon
Really shows how ufc marketing works don’t it?
Because I can remember for the last 6 months threads popping up about Justin trying to get the Conor fight
And EVERYONE was agreed that Conor would be promptly executed

quick win over Cowboy and here we are, even on sherdog the fan boys are back and lapping it up

This is true but the leg kick also opens up the counter straight which is conors best weapon.. that's why people havent used it against him

I think it's more so because he hasn't faced many fighters who know how to time leg kicks and will attack both the inside and outside leg of a south paw like gaethe does. Obviously conor could potentially counter him, but gaethje is much better with timing his leg kicks than guys that conor has fought.

I keep reading this but no one really explains why. What's so special about him except his stupid ass name that I had to google to spell it right. Fuck that name

Gatheji.

I tried that without looking at your thread title.

Damn it, wrong. Fuck that name.

I think it's more so because he hasn't faced many fighters who know how to time leg kicks and will attack both the inside and outside leg of a south paw like gaethe does. Obviously conor could potentially counter him, but gaethje is much better with timing his leg kicks than guys that conor has fought.

I don't agree about Gaethje's timing. A lot of his leg kicks are in very close range and he just hammers them because he knows he can take a shot to give a better one.

I'd pick McGregor over Gaethje in what would probably be a tough fight, but one that favors McGregor's style. I think Gaethje is a nightmare match up for Khabib though.

Last edited:
you can’t even spell Gaethje

he went down against Eddie and Dustin in the 3rd and 4th rounds
After going through absolute hell and giving out absolute hell
If you think for a single moment Conor could go as hard as those two for that long to finally put down Justin
You are fucking mental

dude, conor wouldn't have to go to the 3rd or 4th rounds to stop gaetcccchhhhjjjeeee....hows that for spelling dip shit...look what conor did to both alverez and pourier....2 of conor's easiest fights....

Can't remember the Eddie fight but Dustin had to go through a lot in that fight. A lot that Conor wouldn't have gotten through. He'd have quit

Eddie was one or two more leg kicks from being done himself.

dude, conor wouldn't have to go to the 3rd or 4th rounds to stop gaetcccchhhhjjjeeee....hows that for spelling dip shit...look what conor did to both alverez and pourier....2 of conor's easiest fights....

2007 account acting like this?
I will alert a moderator because you’ve clearly been hacked
Or having a meltdown
Are you having problems at home man?

Just fight any top 3 contender ffs. Prove he can’t beat a top guy like Justin rather than using fucking MMA math. It’s a great fight to make for those interested in fights and not just twatter gossip

Has a good chin. Good cardio. Great wrestling, all of those things are obviously dangerous for mac

I don't agree about Gaethje's timing. A lot of his leg kicks are in very close range and he just hammers them because he knows he can take a shot to give a better one.

Yeah, I disagree with you there. He does like a catch and pitch method exceptionally well, but with kicking instead of boxing.

giphy.gif

He times leg kicks off of jabs really well right when they place their weight on their lead leg. The guy is really good at it

MiniatureDentalBlackpanther.gif

He'll also feint level changes which get people to back up and as they step back he lands a low kick. He low kicks while pushing off from the double collar hold are very effective too.

You don't land like 40 leg kicks a fight without getting checked unless you're really good at setting them up. He did get countered once by Dustin though as the fight went late and he got lazy with them, which also resulted in him losing the fight. So of course he can be countered, but in general he's one of the best leg kickers in the game. what's scary is that he's just as good with inside low kicks as he is with outside.

Last edited:
Conor's best chance against Gaethje is a quick KO, and with Gaethje's chin finally getting cracked, it's possible.

The thing about a Conor vs. Gaethje fight though, is that if it goes beyond 2 rounds, it would get VERY, VERY ugly for Conor as the one thing that Gaethje does very well is chop guys down and break them, and given Conor's traditional gas tank i think it would be brutal.

I mean, this fight could play out a million different ways, but i can only picture either a Conor KO (a la Eddie Alvarez) or Gaethje bludgeoning Conor into submission in the 3rd or 4th.

Then again, Gaethje could smarten up and finally use his wrestling and make it look easy.

Put him in there with someone capable and we might see eh? He ducked Gaethje which would have been a great measuring stick. We know Justin has improved a fair bit, and Conor looked good but it was too short a sample size.
Both guys coming off multiple losses. What's the issue again? Cerrone is more than capable of finishing on his feet and ground, him folding under pressure is on him.

I don’t think he is, but it is interesting he was bypassed for a weaker fight against a guy Gaethje just took out in a round.

Slick head movement, impenetrable defense, and high fight IQ.

He's not, he's a showcase fight for Conor, is tough enough that we'll get to see a wider array of Conor's skills so that's a plus.
He's both actually..he could get the KO on Conor but depending on how he fights, it'll be a showcase fight.
I agree it will show more of Conor.

Back