Can someone explain why Gaethje is so dangerous for Conor?

This is accurate.

You think fights that end early are better indicators of fighters skillsets than fights that go the distance? More time in the ring = more data to draw from, and anytime conor spends more time in the ring his defense drops a lot.

It's not that he's too dangerous but that he's dangerous enough to spoil their plans.

I'm not a Conor fan but I also don't ridicule his abilities. The guy has proven he's extremely good. That said, there's also no doubt the UFC gives him preferential matchups. They gave him the biggest name they could find with the least amount of risk in Cerrone.

Casuals saw "Cowboy" and knew his name. Only those who follow the sport closely realize he'd lost 6 of ten before the Conor fight and been stopped in 5 of them.

Gaethje just stopped Cerrone in the first round in Sept and he's the one who Conor should have had to go through to get back to a title shot. He's much more well-rounded even if he doesn't use his wrestling much. That's not to say Conor couldn't beat him. People just want to see him fight the best, not the gatekeepers.

You think fights that end early are better indicators of fighters skillsets than fights that go the distance? More time in the ring = more data to draw from, and anytime conor spends more time in the ring his defense drops a lot.
Matchups matter more than time spent. If you fight an iron chinned volume striker with very little KO power as someone who blitz's people for first round KOs then no, it doesnt say more about you when the volume striker lands more strikes and makes it look like your "defense drops a lot"

Matchups matter more than time spent. If you fight an iron chinned volume striker with very little KO power as someone who blitz's people for first round KOs then no, it doesnt say more about you when the volume striker lands more strikes and makes it look like your "defense drops a lot"

The stats went down with khabib as well.

So, what is your outlook then? so far you've just been trying to deconstruct mine without offering your own. I'm curious to see it. Personally I think it's a 50/50 fight.

Gaethje is a warrior that's why. It will be a very entertaining fight.

First and foremost, I dislike conor. Flat Out.

That said, I'd favour him 70/30 to win.

The thing is Justin is a Danger - he won't fold or give up like cerrone. He is a dog who you would have to put out (KO him, choke him out, or break something), he's not gonna fold after his eye swells up a bit then get tentative and then curl up after a hard strike. He'll come back at you looking to do the same to you.

He's also got some really good kicks and a wrestling pedigree that could give major problems to conor if he choose's to utilize it.

I'd favour conor to catch him coming in because Justin likes to brawl and come forward. However, if Justin can take conor's shot and land some of his own I'd give him a great chance and outlasting conor.

The stats went down with khabib as well.

So, what is your outlook then? so far you've just been trying to deconstruct mine without offering your own. I'm curious to see it. Personally I think it's a 50/50 fight.

60/40 in favor of conor. Could see Justin KOing him stiff but I think it's more likely that Gathje loses his composure after eating a check hook, tries to brawl and gets matador's until eventually getting KO'd.

If gaethje actually wrestled I'd call it massively in his favor though as conor would have to worry about the sprawl and be more likely to eat the overhand like what happened with khabib

Just that he is a live dog. Comes to fight, strong mental, fresher fighter / brawler type on a win streak.

Conor will still be the favorite and will likely win imo but we got lay down and get me Cowboy or what's next Frankie Edgar ?.. I just want more compelling fights and not obvious lay ups.

Damn, seems like everyone improves except Conor. Amazing analysis.
Put him in there with someone capable and we might see eh? He ducked Gaethje which would have been a great measuring stick. We know Justin has improved a fair bit, and Conor looked good but it was too short a sample size.

It would be a fun fight, but stylistically conor has a decisive edge. His precision, power, and counter abilities will give gaethje fits.

Because he will most likely eat Conmans best shots and then make him forget the names of his children

or just you know.. use his D1 wrestling to get a TD by just giving him a mean look

have you seen gaetchje fight? he ate pouriers shots and got ko'd...he ate alverez' shots and got ko'd...and when was the last time you ever saw gaetchje take anyone down? I think we've been watching different fighters...conor would murder gaetchje.

I keep reading this but no one really explains why. What's so special about him except his stupid ass name that I had to google to spell it right. Fuck that name

Conor's never eaten any heavy leg kicks in a fight. Gaethje might bring that. Eddie landed one very early in their fight that took him off his feet.

Stop talking shit man

how is he talking shit? both eddie and pourier ko'd gaetchje...so what exactly did he say that's not true? and conor hits 3x as hard as either pourer or alverez....

Conor's never eaten any heavy leg kicks in a fight. Gaethje might bring that. Eddie landed one very early in their fight that took him off his feet.
This is true but the leg kick also opens up the counter straight which is conors best weapon.. that's why people havent used it against him

Can't remember the Eddie fight but Dustin had to go through a lot in that fight. A lot that Conor wouldn't have gotten through. He'd have quit

you seem to forget that conor hits much harder than pourier does...and conor ko'd pourier in like a minute...so try again.

60/40 in favor of conor. Could see Justin KOing him stiff but I think it's more likely that Gathje loses his composure after eating a check hook, tries to brawl and gets matador's until eventually getting KO'd.

If gaethje actually wrestled I'd call it massively in his favor though as conor would have to worry about the sprawl and be more likely to eat the overhand like what happened with khabib

I just don't see Conor reacting to those leg kicks well—no one has— and while Gaethje was very hittable in the past, he's been a lot more defensively responsible lately. Conor could spark him early, he's great at that and that's largely why I have it 50-50, but the longer the fight goes on and the more exchanges they have, I favor gaethje more and more—he simply has more dog in him than Conor has shown.I'd love to see the fight, but I doubt we will.

People were saying this before the Aldo fight but look how that turned out. Didnt he check Eddie's kicks as well? Plus he's a master at countering

Back