Can someone explain this knockdown?

Discussion in 'Standup Technique' started by Redtarget, Jan 6, 2015.

1. Redtarget

Redtarget White Belt

Suprised no threads on Rigos performance recently. What did you guys think overall skills and more specifically what happened in the first knockdown to him in the 7th round. around 23:40...... what is this an example of what he did wrong or did he just simply get caught? I usually see him move his feet like this in sparring videos but to see him get planted in a fight by pivoting like that questions what he did wrong or his opponent did good?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
  2. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

21:40, not 23:40.

I'm not sure what you're actually asking. Rigo is one of the most skilled boxers in the Sport. However, nobody is perfect. He got a bit careless here. He was coasting, meaning sort of lazily out-boxing his opponent and all the while the opponent was making headway, catching up. I expected him to get knocked down sooner because he kept halfway turning his back and the opponent wasn't far enough behind for that sort of shit. By far enough behind I mean in rhythm. The opponent was close to landing something big, which happened. Rigo went around him and didn't expect a hard punch to come that suddenly. Rigo had his legs straight, square, and his chin in the air. When he got hit, all that force dissipated right in his chin. Right on "the button" so to speak, which is why his knees buckled. He was for real hurt, too. It wasn't a balance shot. He got caught with a nice little small punch, but all the force went right into his face AND he was out of position, so there was nothing to absorb the shock.

3. Buddy Revell

Buddy Revell Amazon Prime Unboxing Champion

I think he just got clipped from being Lax. It looked like he was gonna pivot towards the right and his head was up & hands low. Amagasa stepped in and hit Rigo as he was gonna pivot/turn and either snapped his head a bit, or caught him flush as his head (and Chin) turned. The punch didn't look hard enough to have hurt Rigo that much from having landed straight on the chin without Rigo doing some of the legwork.

4. Sinister

His feet were side-by-side, though. Couldn't have been a worse position to try to absorb a punch.

5. Buddy Revell

Buddy Revell Amazon Prime Unboxing Champion

Your right about his square stance contributing to the knock down. i'll add that watching it again i was startled to see that Amagasa just had to do a turn basically- in place, and reach out and touch Rigo as he was right there to be hit. It was a really bad miss-judgement of distance and angles on Rigo's part. Maybe it was just a bad brain fart or it could be that he's bored...complacent.

6. Sinister

He looked very bored in that fight. But the brain fart notion made me chuckle.

7. WillW

WillW Blue Belt

Rigo looked so outsized there. He is a VERY small guy, even when fighting other guys around "his weight". I wonder how low he could really go, if push came to shove.

I would love to see Rigo vs. Roman. Even if there is a size gap

8. PivotPunch

PivotPunch Red Belt

Yeah he is he weighs about 123 on fight night so he should have little trouble fighting as low as 115 but Amagasa is also 5'11 and usually fights at 126