Can someone explain how did Conor McGregor become so popular?

In terms of popularity, Conor McGregor is the White Man of Muhammad Ali.

No one in MMA or Boxing is popular than Conor McGregor right now, not even the "Hall of Fame" UFC fighters. Everyone who just started watching combat sport talks about him and already sees him as an influential icon when there were dozens of MMA fighters who have accomplished better than him.

So, it got me wondering how did this man became so popular? Did social media played a huge role in this?

he talks trash and had a country behind him.

also crushing deigo bando denis siver marcus brimage helped fans think he was a god.

He appeals to the lowest denominator in MMA, THE CASUALS.

He appeals to the low level, no class of society, eg: Fake Irish people, looking at you Boston and NYC.

He is also riding the wave of a new generation of poorly educated people who’s mentality is to get rich and be social media “stars” Despite that fact they are incredibly narcissistic even though they are ugly, they attempt to compensate by being mouthy and entitled.

Last edited:
Conor believe in himself and give me inspiration to believe in myself. He have great imagination and talk to all what he see. Make show everytime and in fight make pressure kick them talk to them and his fans with OOOOLEEEEOLEOLEOLEEEEEEEOOOOLEEEEOOOOLEEEEEE make it all excited to watch and motivation for training I do

We in America love the Irish accent, The charisma, rags to riches story, the cockiness, huge ego, symbols of wealth in cars and toys and shit. Also many many people here have Irish blood to some extent so we think we can be like Conor and become great legends working a 9-5 Basically we are a bunch of kids.

He's the most relatable to the UFC target demographic.

SmallFirsthandAmericancurl-size_restricted.gif

I remember that Dublin card. 2014 or 2015. All the irish won that night i believe.

Every white person in America thinks they're Irish.
How popular did Mickey Ward become simply because of the Irish thing and having 1 good fight?

Shit talk + actually backing it up = profit.

giphy.gif
This. As much as I hate Conor he talked shit but backed it up and kept on winning in an amazing way.

That plus he is Irish, nation that most people like, so it's a perfect combo for a success.

I think its the accent among Americans

Seriously, I think your typical beer drinking American can listen to an Irish shit talker yap his lips all day talking shit. And then he goes and actually does knock dudes silly, whats really not to like LoL.
I've been saying that Conor without the accent would half as many fans.

That's what sets him apart.

When Conor started in the UFC, he was just another fighter trying to make it. He set huge goals for himself and delivered. His fights were exciting. Conor was not afraid to fight completely different opponents, even in different weight classes, when the original opponents could not handle the pressure. He also reached his financial goals which were way above what even the top 1% fighters got paid. Conor is also loyal and is humble in victory or defeat.

He beat Jose Aldo, whom at the time was the most hated pullout merchant in MMA.
He didn't even show up to the first Conor McGregor fight.
They had to replace Aldo with Mendes.

People were really fed up with Aldo's shenanigans back then with how many times he ran from USADA, and intentionally dropping his piss test cup.

Conor basically beat a villain to become a hero.

Last edited:
The perfect combo of fighting style, trash talk and American fans who think they're Irish

Shit talk + actually backing it up = profit.

giphy.gif
no man, many have done this. McGoat is goat bc of the UFC hype machinery.
You hear the commentator saying every Minute how great he is and the potencial he haves.
You see all the time his HL reels and face in TV, you hear his name... and so on...
They built him and made alot of Money out of him and still doing.

Seems to me that Conor's fanbase is mostly made up of what the real Irish, Conor included, would call "Plastic Paddies".

And there's LOADS of them in America.

he was featured in the postfight press conference on his UFC debut and charmed the pants off all the journalists there.

You could tell he was going to be a huge star.

People forget how charismatic Conor is, or at least can be. I was there at the live event, even then in his UFC debut he had a big fan base from Ireland coming over.

Charisma, over the top personality, extreme confidence, rising the ranks, being Irish, having the right look, calling his fights with the whole "Mystic Mac" thing, KO'ing people in the first, exciting fighting style, backing up his trashtalk, great at using social meda + the UFC behind him. It's not hard to see how he became a superstar.

Back