Can someone explain Cesar Gracie's promotion philosophy/standards?

It seems like the schools that are sports oriented tend to keep their guys back a little longer. Possibly so they can have studs at each belt level to bring home medals. This is just a guess, not accusing schools of sandbagging or anything, it just seems like a theme with some of the schools that I have friends at.

That's the very definition of sandbagging. :icon_chee

There really isn't a set standard at most places, I think. It's when your instructor feels it's right, is when a promotion occurs. When I got my fourth stripe at white belt I got "the talk" from Rodrigo that went something like "Ok, now it's time to compete, then you get your blue. Poa!" (AKA, you've been a blue belt for 6 months and I want another trophy). I went, competed, did horribly... Like, megabad, should never put on a gi again horrible, right in front of Rodrigo. I was pretty devastated and resigned to the fact I probably just delayed my promotion, but within a few months, I tested for my blue.

Conversely, I've seen guys dominate the shit out of people and don't get any recognition at all other than a "Poa, buddy, great job. You should have cross gripped more from guard, though poa."

And at the end of the day, who cares. It's a platitude at this point, but the mat doesn't lie. Deep down, you know where you're at and don't need a belt to tell you.

It seems like the schools that are sports oriented tend to keep their guys back a little longer.

I disagree. I trained at a school that only had A self defence approach. And they required 4 years as a white to become a blue belt.

I think a teaher can handle his promotions however they want. 6 year white before blue I have heard of it. I got into this anti belt promotion attitude. After training at 3 different schools and each saying I was not at their level of blue. One said I should go back to white. The other said I am almost purple. Other said at least 3 more years as a blue.

Belt promotions are someone's opinion of your skill and rank. Not the universal idea.

Back