Can somebody please explain..

tarsus

Orange Belt
Reaction score
.. what an omoplata is? From what position might you try it? How hard is this technique to use effectively? I can't ever recall seing a fight end from this move - I don't really understand it. Can anyone hexplain =]?

its a shoulder lock that you perform with your legs, your opponent is most of the time on this stomach (if you flatten him out right) with one of his arms laced and bent at a 90 degree angle towards you between your triangled legs as you sit forward, dislocating his shoulder if you push it to the extreme.

way hard to put into words....so heres a picture

http://mainejiujitsu.com/images/photo2.jpg

aaah thanks :D I understood your explanation well, but what I don't understand is why it doesn't seem to work in top level MMA. Any ideas why? Would you say this is one of the harder techniques to master?

Thanks superbeast - that explains it VERY well ... although how the hell did he pivot to have his head facing the other guys leg fast enough > < .... anyway, that answers the main part ... but is this technique one of the hardest to master? I only ask because I don't ever recall a fight I ever saw finished by this move, even though I heard commentators saying that it was attempted, and I couldn't really see what was going on.

... just a guess, is it because this move heavily depends on the other guy having a gi? That would explain it.

A guy at my gym uses it all the time simply as a transition move. He rarely uses to finish somebody.

Yeah, it's hard to keep your opponents body position controlled well enough to finish it with no-gi.

Bubble Boy said:
A guy at my gym uses it all the time simply as a transition move. He rarely uses to finish somebody.

"Shaolin" Ribeiro used it against Jean Silva for the same thing at the last Cage Rage. Was an amazing sequence;

Kimura from guard (may have been butterfly guard, I can't remember), into omoplata, into armbar. All really smooth transistions. Looked amazing.

You can go for a triangle and if they try to move out to the side you can just slap on an omoplata...that works sometimes.

I like to explain quickly as a hammerlock but using your legs to apply pressure. I oddly find these open to use but I can never finish. You really have to kick your body up & pressure them down to sink it.

Hips rather, not legs. I've personally never seen it in MMA being used only attempts by Shogun(recently at Pride) & Hermes Franca got many attempts on Josh Thompson. Like someone said, it is very diffucult no gi. You can use the belt to help you.

I use the move constantly. Once you're good at it, you can use it as an attack, a counter, a transition, or simply something you catch your opponent with if they move wrong.

Big Red said:
I like to explain quickly as a hammerlock but using your legs to apply pressure. I oddly find these open to use but I can never finish. You really have to kick your body up & pressure them down to sink it.
Good way to explain it, actually. I never thought of it.

its not used in mma much because its pretty easy to escape but once you escape from it you leave yourself open for a lot of other moves so its a good transition move or sometimes you get a nice sweep out of it but its pretty hard to finish especially with no gi as you do need the belt to really hold the opponent down

tarsus said:
... just a guess, is it because this move heavily depends on the other guy having a gi? That would explain it.

omoplata doesn't depend on a gi. it doesn't get fisished a lot because it is hard to finish.

On top of my head I can recall seing Matt Serra, Big Nog and Shogun going for it, any other examples in top level mma?

I would say Frank Mir, since he submitted Pete Williams with it, but his was not this version of the shoulder lock

Back