Can somebody (from the USA) explain this to me:?

Tasar

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I live in Europe and I always wondered why you can find so many videos about 911 calls or police dashcam videos on youtube and so on. People getting killed in those videos and audio of very emotional phone calls in a moment a human being is very "vulnerable".

In Europe (or at least in my home country which is in middle Europe) this is not common here. Those videos or emergency phone calls would never be published under any circumstances. Has to do with private sphere and laws and to be honest I thing it is a good thing.

Because people want to see them.

911 calls and dashcam are public record for govt agencies. as such they can be used as evidence in cases.

also ive seen tons of dash cam vids from former soviet bloc countries. granted its private owner dash cam but still

Probably the same reason there's so many Russian dash cam vids on YT.

i personally don't like watching or seeing those kinds of videos, because i want to respect the family members and friends of those involved. but i understand why they are made public.

Voyeurism

People like seeing other people suffer

People cant mind their own business

People are sick of their boring ass life, they need to see others lives

Petition the govt to allow these things to be public, so they can feed their need for this shit

It's a 1st world thing, you wouldn't understand

Never underestimate the power of Morbid Curiousity. It's the same reason why Cousin Fuckers go watch Nascar. They watch it for the crashes. That and to see stock cars turn left 2000 times in a race.

I live in Europe and I always wondered why you can find so many videos about 911 calls or police dashcam videos on youtube and so on. People getting killed in those videos and audio of very emotional phone calls in a moment a human being is very "vulnerable".

In Europe (or at least in my home country which is in middle Europe) this is not common here. Those videos or emergency phone calls would never be published under any circumstances. Has to do with private sphere and laws and to be honest I thing it is a good thing.
Well, considering your country probably sees a dozen officer-caused fatalities a year, you're probably right...but if you've noticed our numbers, and if you've paid attention to deluge of cases the authorities buried that turned out to be officer-caused homicides, then you'd understand why we're pushing for more bodycams and arrest footage.

One thing that really shocked me was, about what 15 years ago maybe, William Shatner's wife died by drowning in their pool or something. So I was watching the news one night and they played a clip of Shatner on the phone with the 911 operator. I was like wtf? How can they play something like this, I don't want to hear this poor guy at a moment like that. It made me sick to my stomach that someone would make the decision to play that on the air.

i personally don't like watching or seeing those kinds of videos, because i want to respect the family members and friends of those involved. but i understand why they are made public.

I won't watch them either, but they can bring some good, i.e. the Chicago case, the guy that got shot up at a McDs or Burger King or something, when it got released, it basically forced the DA into finally pressing charges

Never underestimate the power of Morbid Curiousity. It's the same reason why Cousin Fuckers go watch Nascar. They watch it for the crashes. That and to see stock cars turn left 2000 times in a race.
I'm not a cousin fucker, but I watched Grizzly Man and the way they kept describing the audio footage of the guy being eaten and showing the reactions of people who heard it... kind of made me want to hear it.

I don't know if I would listen if I had the tape though.

Yeah, at times it does seem distasteful, but I feel like Russia is even more guilty. I've seen soooo many weird police videos out of Russia.

Vicariously I, live while the whole world dies, much better you than I.

These things are public record - most govt programs are public record. Someone found out a long time ago that they could make $$ by exploiting other peoples misery or misfortune. For some odd reason, Americans eat it up. Its a sad observation of our society. I think its because people are unsatisfied about their own pathetic lives, that they feel better knowing someone else is suffering. These shows or clips usually appeal to the lower classes of the US

Back