Can Shogun make a last run to the gold?

No. Shogun is as shot as shot gets. I'm a massive fan myself, but that's just the way it is.

I would love to say yes but no not a chance

I've been a huge fan of Shogun since I saw him live in Japan at Bushido 2. The guy is a beast, and an all-time great. But I think his time at the time is done. He has had too many injuries, and isn't able to fight the way he used to fight.

His transition game is gone, and when his fights do go to the ground, I don't think he is as flexible or dextrous as he used to be. I think it's a huge credit to his natural toughness and amazing chin that he was able to defeat top ten fighters and go punch for punch with heavy hitters long after his knees were shot. But his knees are shot, and his transition and GnP game are no real threat to fighters anymore. The wear and tear on his upper body is also catching up to him.

I'd like to see Shogun get a couple more fights (2-3), and hopefully go out on a couple of wins, and then retire. It's crazy to say that about a 33 year old -- but he's too likeable of a guy to want to see out cold.

tl;dr: No. His agility and mobility are gone, and his upper body and chin are wearing out on him.

Last edited:
I think if Shogun got a TRT exemption then maybe.

But I think Shogun is too honorable for that.

No.
It depends.

If you believe that Shogun has looked terrible in his losses then you know he cant make a run.

However, if you are a typical Shogun fan, then you believe that every one of his losses needs to have an asterisk and shouldnt really count as a loss--meaning Shogun is undefeated-- and that he is on the verge of winning the lhw title.
oh man, so on point, haha

I don't know if it's just shaky genetics or the body abuse he took from all them Pride fights, but for a young man Shogun looks and fights old now. There will be no last run for the gold.

Back