Can Rumble beat Jon Jones?

I just watched Rumble Vs Gustafsson & I definitely think Rumble stands a great chance at beating Jones now! I can't wait to see them fight! I'm not going to underestimate Jon because he's a phenomenal fighter, but Rumble has what it takes to beat him.

Rumbles only change is a puncher's chance.

Only advantage Rumble has against Jones is power.

Can't beat Jones with power.

After the DC fight I would say no. Rumble is tough, strong but his wrestling is not better the DC's wrestling.

The problem with fighting Jones is the same problem everyone has when fighting Jones - his reach. Yeah, I know AJ just beat Gus, who has similar reach, but Jon is very good at fighting long and I don't see AJ getting too close to Jon for a majority of the fight.

That said, if AJ connects, he can knock anyone out. Does anyone remember how he beat Arlovski? I thought that was a strange fight given AJ was only a welterweight not long before fighting a heavyweight.

Nope.

Jones is master of using his size and reach. Even after last night, I still think Alex is the only man who can possibly beat Jones. Jones doesn't have the KO power of Rumble or even Cormier, so Alex (as we saw when they fought) wasn't afraid of getting up close and personal with Jones, and one man left the cage being held upright, with his face looking a mess that night, and it wasn't Alex.

Rumble is basically Glover against Jones, a punchers chance. MMA is such a weird, amazing sport - styles truly make fights. You may not be able to beat fighter a), but if you have the physical size and tools, you can give the champion the toughest fight he;s had in his entire life.

Rumble will get submitted within 3 rounds, IMO. I'll be rooting hard for Rumble, but he won't be able to land those shots against a guy who's a master of keeping distance. He doesn't have KO power, but Jones can take advantage and wear down a tired guy...Rumble gets tired, as we've seen in the past. Alex doesn't. It's an odd situation but the man who got destroyed this weekend is still the ONLY man who can give Jones a true test, due to physical attributes and cardio alone.

He can but he won't. A few guys can beat Jones with something lucky or a flash tko but it won't happen. Jones is a monster, he is the final boss in the 205 video game. If you want that gold, you gonna have to beat extra difficult mode and be on your A+ game.

Where have all the good men gone
and where are all the gods?
Where's the streetwise Hercules to fight the rising odds?
Isn't there a white knight upon a fiery steed?
Late at night I toss
and I turn
and I dream of what I need.

I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night.
He's gotta be strong
and he's gotta be fast
And he's gotta be fresh from the fight.

I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the morning light.
He's gotta be sure
and it's gotta be soon
And he's gotta be larger than life!

Rumbles only change is a puncher's chance.

Only advantage Rumble has against Jones is power.

Can't beat Jones with power.

I didn't think Rumble was going to TKO Gus within the first round because Gus has a great chin and he took some hard shots when he fought Jon. I know Jon has a great chin, but Rumble is the strongest striker in the Light Heavyweight Division and if he can TKO Gus, I honestly think he can TKO Jones.

He probably wont but of course he has a chance. Tha guy has a chance of ktfo anybody he touches.

I'll say the same as I said about Rumble vs Gus. Rumble early and Jones late. The longer the fight goes, the more it favors Jones if he's not hurt. I thought Gus would weather the early storm but Gus tends to get hit a lot and against Rumble he got hit hard and often.

I'll say the same as I said about Rumble vs Gus. Rumble early and Jones late. The longer the fight goes, the more it favors Jones if he's not hurt. I thought Gus would weather the early storm but Gus tends to get hit a lot and against Rumble he got hit hard and often.
Jon tends to get hit a lot, too; I would even say that he gets hit more than Gus.

Rumble can definitely win, he's a big guy that can stuff a td and has probably the most violent hands I've seen in mma. Jones is a different animal of course with a long list of advantages, it's going to be interesting how jones deals with a guy who can pretty much decapitate him.

He doesnt have the size to keep it off the cage

I didn't think Rumble was going to TKO Gus within the first round because Gus has a great chin and he took some hard shots when he fought Jon. I know Jon has a great chin, but Rumble is the strongest striker in the Light Heavyweight Division and if he can TKO Gus, I honestly think he can TKO Jones.

I did. Gus is a great striker, but he tends to get hit with big shots often (look at his past fights).

Jones on the other hand is also a great striker, but doesn't seem to get hit with bombs as often and is better at keeping distance.

Gus keeps distance by using his feet.

Jones keeps distance by using his striking.

This fight will most likely resemble DC or the Rampage fight.

Jones IMO is the better striker than Rumble, but Rumble got that one hit KO power.

I'll stick with puncher's chance for Rumble.

Nope.

Jones is master of using his size and reach. Even after last night, I still think Alex is the only man who can possibly beat Jones. Jones doesn't have the KO power of Rumble or even Cormier, so Alex (as we saw when they fought) wasn't afraid of getting up close and personal with Jones, and one man left the cage being held upright, with his face looking a mess that night, and it wasn't Alex.

Rumble is basically Glover against Jones, a punchers chance. MMA is such a weird, amazing sport - styles truly make fights. You may not be able to beat fighter a), but if you have the physical size and tools, you can give the champion the toughest fight he;s had in his entire life.

Rumble will get submitted within 3 rounds, IMO. I'll be rooting hard for Rumble, but he won't be able to land those shots against a guy who's a master of keeping distance. He doesn't have KO power, but Jones can take advantage and wear down a tired guy...Rumble gets tired, as we've seen in the past. Alex doesn't. It's an odd situation but the man who got destroyed this weekend is still the ONLY man who can give Jones a true test, due to physical attributes and cardio alone.

I would argue that your over simplifying glover and rumbles styles. Glover is older, much slower, has a short reach, and doesn't have the kicks AJ does.

Also, rumbles cardio is a mystery to me. I'm throwing away his losses to Vitor, kos.. that isn't the same fighter we've seen run wild lately.

Jon tends to get hit a lot, too; I would even say that he gets hit more than Gus.

I don't think Jones gets hit the same way as Gus. Gus has had a lot of power shots landed on him. Jones has gotten hit a lot while fighting inside by guys like Glover and DC but he hasn't taken the type of power shots Gus has. Jones' length and reach tend to protect him from that.

Rumble hits hard and he moves fast and has fast hands but then so did Rashad who I think he's comparable to. Rumble likes to force the issue and pressure people much more than Rashad does. More like Rampage.

I give Rumble as much chance to beat JJ as I did for him to beat Gus.

Davis fight showed that he fades in the third (significantly) so its either he wins via stoppage somewhere in the first two rounds or JJ takes it.

All of the above said of course is based on the somewhat outdated notion that Rumble has a bad cardio. Since it was not tested last night that remains in question so who could really tell how it'd turn out.

I'm rooting for AJ

Back