Can Ronda Rousey now beat some 125lbs UFC men fighters?

yeah, sure, she can beat men, who has a lot more pure physical advantage over her than another woman who is a few pounds heavier.

No because those guys are explosive as shit and females arnt. Plus the better cardio.

Woman have a range of possible muscle fibre ratios, as men do. They just lack strength and thus power. A lot of girls are explosive for what they bring, Ronda has what, a reported 145 pound bench?

I think striking is different from grappling in a number of ways.

The most relevant of these being that there's no good reason why we can't see a mixed grappling match from time to time.

Yes, they are, and those differences actually play in the favor of women as strength and explosiveness are even bigger factors in grappling that it is in striking. The reason why you don't see grappling comps between men and women is the same reason why there are gender categories in non-contact sports like snooker, bowling and badminton.

Last edited:
On topic, it's lunacy to think she could defeat male pro fighters from premier orgs.

Remember, the average man would make a high level female athlete (I'm a school girl rowing coach, I couldn't make my schools top rowing crew yet my 2k erg time has only been beaten by one schoolgirl, a current world champ, since 2008). That's rowing, where a 5'10, 150 pound 17 year old is faster than all but one schoolgirl rower in the country. Plenty of girls larger than that rowing but even an average man will possess an almost insurmountable mechanical advantage over females.

Male 125ers, thanks to lack of boobs basically, are 7 percent lower in bodyfat than females when in the octagon (10 percent bf compared to 17, though woman's 135 is more 18-21 percent bf really).
This means the average male 125er has more muscle AND is just as heavy as a female 135er.

This means we have a 140+ pound 10 percent bf male against a 140+ pound 17-22 percent bf female.

Ignoring things like differences in level of competition/depth of talent pool/every other inherent advantage a male would experience fighting a female just the size difference alone makes the whole thing ridiculous. (When male fighters below at least LHW fight at 17 percent bf they get out muscled and mauled bj penn at WW style. Although even he was probably 14/15 at his fattest in the octagon.

I think Demetrious will win because he is faster, but it will be a close fight.

lol come on man.. get a hold of yourself

00.gif

1.gif

someone like Dodson would literally kill her if he connected

A single punch from Dodson would be the hardest Ronda has ever been hit, even if you combine every other hit she has ever taken from the women

It would be lights out at first touch if he truly didn't hold back

A single punch from Dodson would be the hardest Ronda has ever been hit, even if you combine every other hit she has ever taken from the women

It would be lights out at first touch if he truly didn't hold back

Which Dodson we talking? The Musician or?

Lol @ "top" females. I think that people are underestimating the effect of testosterone. If there was a men's 95 pound weight class, Rousey wouldn't even be able to defeat those guys.

Would you not call Tony Jaa a man? His weight is given at 135 lbs, so I expect he could drop enough water weight to weigh in to fight at 125 lbs.

Ong-bak-Tony-Jaa.jpg

wow, probably first mark zima post talking about male mma

this is legendary, guys

Yes, they are, and those differences actually play in the favor of women as strength and explosiveness are even bigger factors in grappling that it is in striking. The reason why you don't see grappling comps between men and women is the same reason why there are gender categories in non-contact sports like snooker, bowling and badminton.

I've seen women grapple and wrestle against men.

Males and females train and spare together on most high school wrestling teams in North America. Not so long ago females and males were competing against each other fairly often in the US in smaller districts without enough female wrestlers to make a bracket. Some did quite alright.

The differences you point out are very real, and I'm not dismissing them.

However, if there's a significant margin between skill level, and the female has some grit, it's possible to overcome these differences, and it does happen.

Women beat men at grappling and wrestling tournaments all the time.

Usually it looks something like this:

[YT]watch?v=3HVkO_JwP9w[/YT]

But occasionally you get something more like this:

[YT]watch?v=uGvrX4wnjEQ[/YT]

And yes, these are outliers. I know that.

Generally, it's not going to be great. But on occasion, if the skill level gap is wide enough, it can be interesting.

That said, my sense is that someone like MM would tool RR pretty badly. But someone like McCall (who's grappling pedigree is limited to high school wrestling a pretty limited amount of college wrestling), I'm not certain about.

That's why I'd be interested in seeing it happen. Not because I'm confident RR would win, but because I'd just like to see what would happen, see how competitive she might be, or if she wouldn't be competitive at all, or if she might actually pull it off.

No harm in a match like that except the fear of someone hurting his/her ego. S'all I'm saying.

I've seen women grapple and wrestle against men.

Males and females train and spare together on most high school wrestling teams in North America. Not so long ago females and males were competing against each other fairly often in the US in smaller districts without enough female wrestlers to make a bracket. Some did quite alright.

The differences you point out are very real, and I'm not dismissing them.

However, if there's a significant margin between skill level, and the female has some grit, it's possible to overcome these differences, and it does happen.

Women beat men at grappling and wrestling tournaments all the time.

Usually it looks something like this:

[YT]watch?v=3HVkO_JwP9w[/YT]

But occasionally you get something more like this:

[YT]watch?v=uGvrX4wnjEQ[/YT]

And yes, these are outliers. I know that.

Generally, it's not going to be great. But on occasion, if the skill level gap is wide enough, it can be interesting.

That said, my sense is that someone like MM would tool RR pretty badly. But someone like McCall (who's grappling pedigree is limited to high school wrestling a pretty limited amount of college wrestling), I'm not certain about.

That's why I'd be interested in seeing it happen. Not because I'm confident RR would win, but because I'd just like to see what would happen, see how competitive she might be, or if she wouldn't be competitive at all, or if she might actually pull it off.

No harm in a match like that except the fear of someone hurting his/her ego. S'all I'm saying.

Understood. Can't disagree with much of that. Personally, I think McCall wins handily.

mccall-vs-demetrious.gif

McCall would be arrested after he was done with Ronda

mccall-vs-demetrious.gif

McCall would be arrested after he was done with Ronda

You're not following the convo. I was simply suggesting I'd like to see them in a grappling match at Metamoris.

I didn't call a winner, and I didn't say anything about an actual fight. I'd just like to see it before getting too confident about how it would turn out.

Back