1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Can protein powder go bad? How can you tell?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by James37, Sep 1, 2010.

1. James37

James37 White Belt

I have 5 lbs tub of WPI protein powder that smells bad. I got it just a month ago. This is unflavored plain kind. It smells like crap. I live in a hot/dry climate (desert).

Can protein powder go bad?
    How can we identify a bad protein powder?

2. joshetc

joshetc butthole hurts from teh gay

expiration date

3. nontheanarch

nontheanarch nonbelt

do you keep it covered, do you keep it cool?

perhaps it's just the container itself that smells??

switch it into a different container, but ultimately I would taste it to see if there's any funk you can detect... if so then definitely toss it.

4. James37

James37 White Belt

It's not the container. Expiration date is fine. I keep it outside, not in a cool place. Does it need to be refrigerated?

5. nontheanarch

nontheanarch nonbelt

perhaps there's moisture in it and it's starting to turn... I would sift it out on in a wide baking pan or something, allow it to air out for a few hours and then transfer it in a new container. definitely keep the new container air tight and in the refrigerator as well from here on out. if there's still a smell to it after airing it out, then I'd just get a new one perhaps.

6. shera

shera Brown Belt

The protein is derived from milk and if you're in a hot and humid area, moisture can definitely turn the powder bad. I had to throw out some this weekend myself.

7. onezendad

onezendad Blue Belt

If you get any moisture in it whatsoever I would assume it would turn bad pretty quick.

A few times I have left a mostly empty shaker in the basement for a couple days after I had a shake, and let me tell you it stinks. Would imagine that a little humidity would not take long to ruin an entire bucket.

Can't think keeping it outside is a good idea, regardless if what kinda climate you live in.

8. Jaedong

Jaedong Blue Belt

My brother had some that smelled bad but he still used it, I think it was also already expired. He didn't get sick of it but I personally wouldn't take it if it smells nasty, food poisoning can be pretty bad.

9. dropshot001

dropshot001 Red Belt

if you aren't sure of it, then i would toss it. or if you are brave, then you can take a sample shake and then see how that works out for you. next time, leave the protein sealed tightly in a cool, shaded place. a closet works well.

10. Sinister

Sinister Doctor of Doom Staff Member Senior Moderator

It may not be that it's bad itself, as in expired, just a bad batch. Expired protein powders don't usually smell much different, maybe stale, but not a stink. And usually all you notice at first is the flavor system fades and it doesn't taste like anything. But a bad batch can be foul, definitely. There should be a lot # somewhere on the bottle, if you buy another one, don't get one from that same #.