Can please someone tell me why ufc does not use extra rounds???

Glnick

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I find so stupid that when a match is so close and that it's clear that both guys can win ,they end up with a decision,so many times this has happened.Is it forbidden or something?

Last edited:
Do you realize how tiring MMA is? Every fight would look like shit in the extra rounds.

I'm just making an educated guess here, but the rules are set by the commission, not the UFC. I assume this would also include the number of rounds.

They have a limited amount of airtime.
But for $60, maybe it could be another hour.

Wow that is stupid TS.

Who gets to decide if there should be extra rounds? The guy who won or the guy who lost?

because this isn't a video game. These are real people that get punched in the face, broken ribs, brain damage, seriously injured, etc. 3-5 rounds is enough.

Only fight sport I know that has extra rounds is Kickboxing (K-1 , GLORY) and their rounds are 3 minutes.

because this isn't a video game. These are real people that get punched in the face, broken ribs, brain damage, seriously injured, etc. 3-5 rounds is enough.

Oh really?Then we should just make only 2 rounds for them,how about adding some shin guards as well?Dumb people

There are fighters ,and an extra round is needed in cases like DC vs Jon Jones

Wow that is stupid TS.

Who gets to decide if there should be extra rounds? The guy who won or the guy who lost?
Are you stupid?Extra rounds are used when there is no clear winner

I wouldn't be opposed to seven round championship fights, five round regular main events, and three round regular fights. I don't think the seven round championship fights would be substantially more likely to go to a finish, but they might help make decisions seem more clear, and most champions nowadays have great cardio.

They have a limited amount of airtime.

They could just not interview Conor McGregor for the length of two rounds.

I find so stupid that where a match is so close and that it's clear that both guys can win ,they end up with a decision,so many times this has happened.Is it forbidden or something?

Read the rules of MMA noob.

Only fight sport I know that has extra rounds is Kickboxing (K-1 , GLORY) and their rounds are 3 minutes.

The UFC uses sudden victory rounds for tournaments. I'm not sure about other MMA promotions.

Sudden death rounds in the event of a draw would be awesome but no regulatory body would approve it

A 6th round would of looked exactly like the 5th or even worse for Cormier. For me Jones was up 4-1 after the 5th anyway which is pretty clear cut.

I find so stupid that when a match is so close and that it's clear that both guys can win ,they end up with a decision,so many times this has happened.Is it forbidden or something?

Got to stay within the PPV time allotted. That's the reason SEG first brought in time limits to fights.

Sudden death rounds in the event of a draw would be awesome but no regulatory body would approve it

On the contrary, TUF finales and the inaugural FLW tournament both implement sudden victory rounds. It should have been utilized in Johnson vs McCall 1.

They use them on TUF but the fights are two rounds then a sudden death round and those are sanctioned as exhibition matches.

The flw tournament had the stipulation if a fight ended in a draw there would be a sudden death fourth round. I don't know if that had to be sanctioned specially or anything.

The unified rules of mma are that non championship bouts are 3 rounds and championship bouts 5 rounds.

Maybe they could make a sudden death round if a championship fight ended in a draw idk but it wouldn't apply in the case of last nights fight anyway as Cormier lost it was not a draw.

every cerrone fight should be 5 rounds

Back