Can Paul Felder really make 155 on 5 days notice?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by DS66, Nov 9, 2020.

1. DS66 Brown Belt

Flashback to UFC 223, the wild week that ultimately culminated in Khabib fighting Al Iaquinta for the LW belt. Felder was originally scheduled to fight Iaquinta that night. With Al filling in to fight Khabib, Felder was ultimately left without a fight after making weight. I specifically remember Felder's interviews after, talking about how devastated he was to not be able to fight after cutting weight and making it down to 155. He talked about how brutal his weight cut is and something to the effect of that it takes him 8-10 weeks of commitment to get down to 155. Then just a couple weeks later, I remember him stepping on the scale at an event that he was commentating at and weighing in at 190 lbs. He is a huge LW.

So now, after being retired for 9 months, without a fight scheduled on the horizon, he can jump in on 5 days notice and make 155? It seems almost impossible, knowing the context of his walk around weight and past weight cuts. How on earth is he gonna make 155? I have a feeling this fight isn't gonna happen.... or maybe they have an under the table agreement where all parties know he isn't gonna make weight. I hope he proves me wrong though, either way he has my respect for stepping up and taking this fight.

2. RiotWyatt Black Belt

Felder is a professional. He'll make weight. He wouldn't have accepted unless he knew he could.

3. whaleshark Assassin Pitbull

They don’t call him the “Irish dragon” for nothing, Joe!

<Goldie11>

4. Substance Abuse Plutonium Belt Platinum Member

Paul has brass balls.

koquerelle likes this.
  5. Fiddlesticks Purple Belt

Ariel Helwani asks how much Felder is currently weighing in this video. He was on the treadmill when he got the call to fight RDA.

Keep in mind that he's been training for a triathlon in the past few months.

6. CorninginChristianburg Blue Belt

He's been training for a triathlon for a couple months so he said unlike his normal weight in the mid 90s, he's in the 70s. That said, when you train for an endurance race you probably won't have the same explosive power that you usually might.

This is so badass of him. Seriously. Respect through the roof. It snowed in my town today and after dark, before dinner I went out for a run, ran about a mile in 28 degree weather in the snow after lifting weights and I was thinking to myself that I was kinda tough, and then open the news and I'm like "that's another level, maybe another 5 or 6 levels, entirely..."

7. PicoPulse Bellator Shill

He could be in leaner shape then we know

8. Yagadot Purple Belt

He’ll get the same weigh in guy that Khabib got.

9. Garnet_StrongerThanYou Purple Belt

He’s not a massive LW.

he’s short.

he probably walks around at 172.

10. Kyler Ruxin Custom Title

even if he misses and loses 20-30% of his purse, nobody would blame him and he'd still be getting paid more than if he didn't fight at all.

punky brewster likes this.
  11. Carsormyr Brown Belt

I think he said he was in the 170s? He sounded pretty confident that he could make weight without issue.

12. Stranger Come Knocking Red Belt

Don't worry he has his fight milk. He'll be puking on his dick in no time!

[​IMG]

13. Myfryfroallfrizzy White Belt

I think he can & will. However, I see RDA taking it to him.

14. TempleoftheDog Purple Belt

If he thinks he can do it, I'll take his word for it.

War Felder.

15. Calivornia Purple Belt

It's good to feel tough. Good for you for running in the cold. Is it a big deal? Maybe not. Not when you compare yourself to guys like Paul Felder. But if you compare itself to the rest of the world your Toughness and fitness is probably in the 1% of the 1% of the 1%.

16. CorninginChristianburg Blue Belt

Thanks haha, I appreciate it, but probably not. It's tough compared to the typical lazy me that uses COVID restrictions or bad weather as an excuse to skip workouts is what it is. But I more just wanted to illustrate how impressed I am by Felder. 5 round right on 5 days notice. I have nothing against RDA, but it's really hard not to root for Felder when he steps up like this.

17. fortheo Titanium Belt

This is said under a video where he says he typically walks around at 195lbs.

DS66, chick magnet punk, TM C and 2 others like this.
  18. Clementine If you're sad, add more lipstick and attack :D :D

He's a dragon, just shed that skin :D

19. Char Jawz InvisiBelt

RDA called out Chandler, but Chandler declined. That would've been a solid debut fight for him but he says he has other plans. I hope it's not some shit where he and Gaethje end up being coaches on the new TUF. Say what you will about Chandler but he comes to fight and of course no one wants to see The Highlight on the shelf that long either.

As for Felder, I don't think he has ever missed weight and is a pro through and through. I trust he knows well enough that he can cut the weight. Glad he stepped up too. Felder's been on the cusp of the top 5, but I think RDA might regain his standing in the LW division with a UD win here, based on the short notice cut.

20. Char Jawz InvisiBelt

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]