Can Pacquiao surpass Mayweather's legacy?

Different fighters have different legacies that mean different things to different people. Me personally couldn't careless about Floyd or his career, I'll always prefer Pacquiao's all or nothing style.
Floyd is the best technical boxer of his generation, there is no doubt about that. Manny was the best pressure fighter of that same generation. I'm not sure why people feel its a competition about legacies now days.

Gives folks something to argue about. Legacies are one of many silly concepts that humans pointlessly obsess over.

He already is in my opinion. Not only did has he fought multiple ATG's but he has defeated many of them at least twice. Another thing to consider is Pac is fighting way above his natural weight class, people seems to forget this as he has been doing it for so long. What is he, like 5.4 or something?

Last edited:
If he was to beat winner of Spence and Garcia would help his case

But the whole thing about having so many losses hurts his legacy.

Mayweather was always dominant never got beat never ko'd always looked good sometimes rarely got hit .

He will be hall of famer but the losses will always be the factor for the legacy

I think I want Manny to surpass Floyd’s legacy more than I think it’s even slightly possible at this point.

Maybe if Manny beat Danny Jacobs.

I'm a huge Floyd Fan and always argued his case "for being greater".

However, recently I have been looking back over their career's. I think I lean to Pacquiao having the greater legacy, while Floyd will remain the more skilled boxer.

Both ATG and it's a pity fanboy's for one guy will instantly shoot the other down.

This is similar to Ronaldo and Messi in football (soccer to my friends across the pond)

Or even Nadal/Federer/Novak

I am glad I witnessed these two greats and only wish they had of fought closer to their primes.

It already is in my opinion. Not only did has he fought multiple ATG's but he has defeated many of them at least twice. Another thing to consider is Pac is fighting way above his natural weight class, people seems to forget this as he has been doing it for so long. What is he, like 5.4 or something?

Pacquiao is a throwback and will have inevitably suffered a few losses along the way.

The guy has over 70 wins and fought nearly everyboydy (some multiple times like you allude to) in 8 weight divisions.

He also has a fan friendly style.

I was always a Floyd nutthugger, but I really appreciate Manny Pacquiao as a fighter and I'm privileged to have followed his career.

Floyd is probably (most likely) the best technical boxer I have seen since I follwed the sport. either him or Sweet Pea.

Roy Jones in his prime was the best athlete and probably had the best prime out of anyone I have seen. He literally couldn't be touched.

Though look at the list of fighters Pacquio has fought and lets be honest. He has no business climbing up to 154 but he did.

Its not really clear cut that Mays legacy is better, you have to put high stock in the fact that he was undefeated.
Thats a pretty big deal when you can count the number of elite level fighters who fought until their 40's without ever losing on one hand.

He has a better resume. If Mikey somehow wins, I'd watch that fight. Floyds carefully crafted career will always look better on paper.

This is a silly thread. I think Pac's legacy has already surpassed floyds. Its a shame Pac has so many haters. They discount his belts but forget that he won Linear titles at flyweight , Bantam weight, feather and so on. The mayweather fight was closer then people think, pac is also way smaller. Floyd is more technical but if Pac was 5'8 or 5'9 he would have beat him. Besides he's an icon to his people and maybe a future president , floyd is just rich and can't read. End thread/

writing "end thread/" at the end of your post is like giving yourself a nickname. Let somebody else do it.

Not sure what presidencies and literacy have to do with a boxing legacy. Both great, all time great boxers, with tremendous legacies. To go out 49 (or 50) -0, multiple titles, defeating some other all time elites just sounds like a better ride to me than losing 7 times and getting starched.

Weird comment about so many Pac haters, I think Floyd has many more haters.

Now if the question was who would I rather hang out with, who has done more for others, who looks like a better human from afar? I think its manny all day long

This is a silly thread. I think Pac's legacy has already surpassed floyds. Its a shame Pac has so many haters. They discount his belts but forget that he won Linear titles at flyweight , Bantam weight, feather and so on. The mayweather fight was closer then people think, pac is also way smaller. Floyd is more technical but if Pac was 5'8 or 5'9 he would have beat him. Besides he's an icon to his people and maybe a future president , floyd is just rich and can't read. End thread/

What you wrote makes no sense.

Pac legacy does not come close to surpassing a guy who became P4P number 1 boxer retired, and then came back and took it back FROM Pac. Pac has way more delusional fanboys then actually haters and often the people described as Pac haters are just people that rightly call out the narratives that these fanboys perpetuate. Pac has won belts in 3 more weight classes then floyd, has 7 more losses, the fighter that Pac struggled with over four fights and got put to sleep against, Floyd toyed with, Floyd fought and beat Oscar without weight draining him, has the head to head victory which was a clear UD, and went undefeated his entire career facing numerous champion level fighters. Pac's being an icon to his people is irrelevant because it does not erase the multiple blemishes to his record. And you are correct Floyd is Rich and even if he can't read he has much more business intelligence then Manny which is why he became his own Boss rather then being robbed by promoters like Manny was.

Last I checked Mayweather fought and defeated Pacquiao... and it wasn't very close.

If Manny had agreed to the drug testing, they would have fought earlier. Not sure why a clean fighter would be so afraid of some simple drug testing.

What you wrote makes no sense.

Pac legacy does not come close to surpassing a guy who became P4P number 1 boxer retired, and then came back and took it back FROM Pac. Pac has way more delusional fanboys then actually haters and often the people described as Pac haters are just people that rightly call out the narratives that these fanboys perpetuate. Pac has won belts in 3 more weight classes then floyd, has 7 more losses, the fighter that Pac struggled with over four fights and got put to sleep against, Floyd toyed with, Floyd fought and beat Oscar without weight draining him, has the head to head victory which was a clear UD, and went undefeated his entire career facing numerous champion level fighters. Pac's being an icon to his people is irrelevant because it does not erase the multiple blemishes to his record. And you are correct Floyd is Rich and even if he can't read he has much more business intelligence then Manny which is why he became his own Boss rather then being robbed by promoters like Manny was.
Pacqauio always took a challenge and fought bigger men , someone in the thread clowned him for his 7 losses but a lot of those were robberies and early in his career. While floyd picked and choosed his opponents, he wasn't invincible either , Castillo beat him and was robbed. Sugar ray Robinson would of beat mayweather and he had several losses. I mean if you think 50 and 0 is the greatest while cherry picking all your opponents then mayweather is the greatest. Pac also won Linear titles , he's not even really a welterweight to be honest. Floyd was a great boxer but for many he won't go down as the best ever. I think there are more then a few individuals who would of beat him.

Pacqauio always took a challenge and fought bigger men , someone in the thread clowned him for his 7 losses but a lot of those were robberies and early in his career. While floyd picked and choosed his opponents, he wasn't invincible either , Castillo beat him and was robbed. Sugar ray Robinson would of beat mayweather and he had several losses. I mean if you think 50 and 0 is the greatest while cherry picking all your opponents then mayweather is the greatest. Pac also won Linear titles , he's not even really a welterweight to be honest. Floyd was a great boxer but for many he won't go down as the best ever. I think there are more then a few individuals who would of beat him.
Castillo fight was close and could’ve been scored a draw or went either way. It’s only a robbery if you hate Floyd or were routing for Castillo or take too much stock in the HBO scorecard. Not every damn close fight is a robbery.

It was a close fight and both fighters had points deducted. And I personally thought Floyd won the first 5 rounds

Last I checked Mayweather fought and defeated Pacquiao... and it wasn't very close.

If Manny had agreed to the drug testing, they would have fought earlier. Not sure why a clean fighter would be so afraid of some simple drug testing.
Pac was also the lineal flyweight champion. Fought Mayweather 35 lbs above that. There is a good argument for Mayweather being better but him winning a fight at welterweight isnt it.

Floyd won an Olympic medal (got screwed) in his medal bout or would have fought for gold

Genaro Hernandez, Angel manfredy, Chico Corrales, Carlos Hernandez. Jose Luis Castillo (2x), N’dou, Chop Chop Corley, Gatti, Mitchell, Judah, JMM, Hatton, Oscar, Cotto, Victor Ortiz, Robert Guererro, Canelo, Manny….. that's a pretty serious list.

saying Robinson would beat him is not an insult.

Ok this cherry picking narrative has to stop, How many champions and/champion level fighters has Floyd faced and defeated, a cherry picking fighter would avoid these types of fights like the plaque. Oh and Pac and Mayweather have faced some common opponents so was Pac cherry picking when he fought, Hatton, Dela Hoya, Cotto, Mosley and Marquez for example? You can't have it both ways. No fighter is invincible which is why Mayweather's unblemished record is even more impressive as he was so complete that he could adjust to every fight style even during times he was experiencing difficulty, Pac was not like this at all and was pretty much one dimensional, although that one dimension was extremely destructive, Pacs inability to adjust to Marquez through four fights is a perfect example of this.

You talk about Floyd losing to Castillo but that is only your opinion because the judges saw it differently and when they fought the second time Floyd made the necessary adjustments and won rematch clearly leaving no doubt in peoples minds. Manny struggled to adjust and separate himself against Marquez with four fights of information and the rivalry was ended with Pac being put to sleep. Pac also did not adjust against Horn and Bradley regardless of what you think about the results of those fights. The size narrative also needs to stop, did Marquez have a significant size advantage against Pac during their fights? Did Morales have a significant size advantage? Did Hatton? Did Tim Bradley??? No they did not. Pac was a WW as he naturally grew into the weight. I have no doubt that their are fighters that would give Mayweather all he can handle like, Tommy Hearns, Sugar Ray Leonard, not to mention Sugar Ray Robinson. But, we are not comparing Mayweather to these fighters and there are way more fighters that would give Pac problems in boxing history then would have given May problems. The above would be enough of a case for Mayweather legacy being above that of Pac's but the result of their head to head fight just puts it over the top. Pac is an all time great, and the second best fighter of his generation and their is no shame in that.

Last edited:

Lol at either being clean, or most of the elite thoroughbreds at that level.

Back