Can Pacquiao surpass Mayweather's legacy?

JustOnce

On Hiatus
Double Yellow Card
Reaction score
I truly think Mayweather was scared of Manny Pacquiao in his prime. When you have a fighter, who loves money, take lesser money fights, talking about drug tests, his health and all that, I see a scared man.

He only had guts to fight Manny after he came off a career-altering-potential knock out by Marquez.

It's not about a question of who would've won in their primes, maybe Mayweather would have won, but I think Mayweather family was scared of Pacquiao in his prime. If not, why not take that fight? People say that it was to build up the fight, but they only take the fight when Pacquiao have lost some of his luster after getting knocked the fuck out?

I wonder if Manny beats the winner of Spence/Garcia and Lomachenko, he could maybe surpass Mayweather in terms of his legacy?

he's obviously not going to beat the winner of Spence/Garcia

Well, I really think being undefeated at the top for so long ever so slightly eclipses Pacs weight classes. I don't think beating Broner and Vargas does a lot to enhance his legacy.

if he beats the top guys at WW yeah I could see it. But I don't think he does.

I think you go a bit far using phrases like "scared" and "guts".

Dont forget, Mayweather was 38 at the time and had struggled with Maidina and had been hit more than ever. Since around the buzz of the fight began, Mayweather fought Hatton, Cotto, Ortiz, Mosely, Marquez, Canelo, Guererro.... not exactly the bum of the month club.

Its not really clear cut that Mays legacy is better, you have to put high stock in the fact that he was undefeated.

Its not really clear cut that Mays legacy is better, you have to put high stock in the fact that he was undefeated.
It is better because he has the head to head win while they were both still the top 2 in the division. They’ll always be linked and Floyd got the win over his biggest rival. The thing Manny has over Floyd would be the number of divisions he won a title in. But even his other biggest rival, JMM, Manny ended up on the wrong side of a KO loss while in his prime in the final fight. So he arguably lost the war against both his biggest rivals of his era

I put less stock in he won belts in ___ divisions. They've created a new division every 3 pounds, there are 3-4 belts per division... it's all a bit much.

If he got back on top of the WW division, sure. He won't, though. All indications are that Lomachenko isn't going to fight him, either (and there is a massive promotional roadblock there now, anyway). At this point Floyd has the distinction of being the best and greatest of his era locked up pretty tight.

2019 Manny would get hurt pretty badly against Spence.

I truly think Mayweather was scared of Manny Pacquiao in his prime. When you have a fighter, who loves money, take lesser money fights, talking about drug tests, his health and all that, I see a scared man.

He only had guts to fight Manny after he came off a career-altering-potential knock out by Marquez.

It's not about a question of who would've won in their primes, maybe Mayweather would have won, but I think Mayweather family was scared of Pacquiao in his prime. If not, why not take that fight? People say that it was to build up the fight, but they only take the fight when Pacquiao have lost some of his luster after getting knocked the fuck out?

I wonder if Manny beats the winner of Spence/Garcia and Lomachenko, he could maybe surpass Mayweather in terms of his legacy?

This is a very disingenuous post. And to answer your question no, Pac's legacy will not surpass Floyds no matter how much people like yourself attempt to perpetuate revisionist history.

Floyd have clearly the better resume. Forget the fact he won the fight against Pacquiao, forget the fact that he is undefeated.

We are talking of the guy, who was never even been drop, opposite of Pacquiao who suffered humiliating defeats..

Floyd have clearly the better resume. Forget the fact he won the fight against Pacquiao, forget the fact that he is undefeated.

We are talking of the guy, who was never even been drop, opposite of Pacquiao who suffered humiliating defeats..

Floyd took a knee against Carlos Hernandez when he hurt his hand. Technically that was a KD. Zab Judah caught him reaching and knocked him down, although it was (incorrectly) ruled a slip.

Floyd took a knee against Carlos Hernandez when he hurt his hand. Technically that was a KD. Zab Judah caught him reaching and knocked him down, although it was (incorrectly) ruled a slip.
Zab also slightly stepped on Floyd's foot during that punch, so you could argue a slip was the right call.

Those are not really legit KO, but okay.

Pacquiao suffered more than once clean KO before 3 rounds, so its not even worth comparing.

Wasn’t trying to draw a comparison between Manny going to sleep. Was just pointing out a fact and an opinion re a kd and what I thought was a kd.

From the overhead I thought zab was a kd not a foot tangle.

They both had great careers- between the two id take Floyd’s.

Different fighters have different legacies that mean different things to different people. Me personally couldn't careless about Floyd or his career, I'll always prefer Pacquiao's all or nothing style.
Floyd is the best technical boxer of his generation, there is no doubt about that. Manny was the best pressure fighter of that same generation. I'm not sure why people feel its a competition about legacies now days.

I don't think he has enough left for that. But I do think both of them rank higher on the all-time list than most people probably do.

Not just undefeated but he really did beat most (if not everyone) including Pac eventually. Plus he did fight up higher than his natural weight class for a fair bit of his run, i'm pretty sure he wouldn't have been cutting weight at all past 147 (I may be wrong about that).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back