Can One FC Become The New Pride?

Its hard to be a new WEC when the talent pool of the location your org is based on is pretty much non existant.

that's a good point about heavier weight classes, but in the light weight classes they've a decent depth and more talents to bring in, just looks all the fighters that fight around in those divisions in RUFF, PXC, DARE, the former Legend FC, ...
and also they scout worldwide bringing even brazilians, americans, europeans, ... they don't have a small talent pool if not for heavies that btw are hard to find worldwide, Europe has a decent pool but even there they're far less than the fighters @ WW, LW, ...

Its hard to be a new WEC when the talent pool of the location your org is based on is pretty much non existant.

their flyweight division is clearly the 2nd best in the world, bw division the 3rd or maybe the 2nd best in the world, the lw and fw are good too and Caros Fodor Kojima and Urushitani aren't agree with you
imgres

imgres

andrew-6.jpg

No, I actually enjoy fights at WW and up being fought under the best possible ruleset on earth, ONE FC's ruleset. why should only the lighter guys fight under the obviously superior ruleset?

because the lighters categories are the most stacked looks their hw, lhw divisions their are very mediocre, of course he has fun fight to watch but it's impossible to build a decent categorie. And the mw and ww are good but nothing to special compare to the categories under 70kg

For what's my experience: UFC/Bellator/WSOF is a format (personally their shows looks all similar between each other), ONE FC is a totally different option as M-1 Global is another totally different product, Invicta is another prodcut due to been a all-women org ..

this but the bellator before the viacom area was very promising

this but the bellator before the viacom area was very promising

Agreed.

How they managed their contenders tournaments in the first seasons was great and meritocratic, I love 8-man tournaments and their format was great ... now Viacom polluted it, but still I like Bellator tourneys

I have watched some One FC cards and read many articles detailing the success of One FC in Asian countries. It seems they have the financial backing to attract quality fighters or VP's (Rich Franklin) to their organization. Do you think One FC can become the New Pride?

Only if they would focus on anything from mw (maybe ww) and up and have a huge financial incentive for the best fighters in the world to join them...and if they did 32 fighter grand prix...
but i dont see this all happening..sadly..

they need to sign more contenders, have less local fighters, and scrap their women.

I don't think so.

- more local fighters and have national grand prix again like the one they did in Malaysia, they must be at hte same time the premier show and the showcase for the talents from SEA
- some more international top fighters
- almost drop MW to HW and work only to lower weight classes and women absolutely, they're gaining a spot in MMA that they don't have in many other sports.

The landscape in MMA has changed far too much for there to ever be another PRIDE, unfortunately. The athletes are different and the approach to fighting is different. A lot more regulation as well.

That being said, ONE FC is an exciting new promotion, and putting on some exciting shows. They are doing a great job of bringing back the enthusiasm and passion for MMA in the Asian region. I think ONE FC will be around for a long time.

Maybe not Pride. But they have potential to be somethine else huge.

There only a few things that hold it back though.

First off, I'm sick of seeing these Singaporean\Malaysian\Indonesian\Pakistani\0-0\0-1\1-0\fighter vs Singaporean\Malaysian\Indonesian\Pakistani\0-0\0-1\1-0\fighter match ups. No ones paying to see them, and they take up valuable card space that actual fighters with experience could be filling. Thats what the regional MMA orgs are for. Use them.

Second. No more obvious squash matches. I feel like eating a grenade every time I see another evolve fighter fighting some cab driver. And it's not just Evolve fighters, Just this month, we saw a undefeated fighter going up against a much less experienced fighter with all his wins coming from 0-0 fighters.

Maybe not Pride. But they have potential to be somethine else huge.

There only a few things that hold it back though.

First off, I'm sick of seeing these Singaporean\Malaysian\Indonesian\Pakistani\0-0\0-1\1-0\fighter vs Singaporean\Malaysian\Indonesian\Pakistani\0-0\0-1\1-0\fighter match ups. No ones paying to see them, and they take up valuable card space that actual fighters with experience could be filling. Thats what the regional MMA orgs are for. Use them.

Actually, a lot of people are paying for those fights, locals will support locals on the under card by filling out the stadium. Just my POV. :)

Also, there aren't many regional orgs, unlike in the US for example.

- almost drop MW to HW and work only to lower weight classes and women absolutely, they're gaining a spot in MMA that they don't have in many other sports.

their hw, lhw divisions their are very mediocre, of course he has fun fight to watch but it's impossible to build a decent categorie.

That's one of those things people say that just isn't true. Any organization can build a good heavyweight division just by matching up prospects against each other in a tournament-esque format. It worked for the UFC (from 2001-2006, when every other good heavyweight was in Pride and they had to build up their own talent rather than buy everyone else's), Rings, Pride, 90's Pancrase, and you're even seeing it now with Bellator (they've got two guys that're unanimously-ranked in the top-15 right now, and they got them from doing nothing but holding prospect-filled tournaments which, eventually, due to the nature of the heavyweight division, resulted in a sprig of top-15 and -20 fighters). It just takes time and willpower, and most organizations skip out before they see the payoffs. Unlike the other divisions, established veterans aren't a requirement for a promotion's heavyweight division to be granted "legitimacy"; any organization can gain a legitimate heavyweight division with some top-15 fighters (maybe even some top-10 fighters down the line) just by not giving up on it and focusing on building up their own talent for a couple years, during which time they end up providing a slew of entertaining finishes. Again, it just takes willpower and time.

This's one of the upsides of a division that's so sparse on talent. It's hard to get hold of the already-established fighters (since there are so few of them)-- who, by the way, almost all got their status by initially winning the same sort of prospect-filled psuedo-tournament that I'm talking about or by, luckily, getting a shot against a winner of that sort of tournament and came out victorious (look at the history of the heavyweights and you'll find this to be true)-- but it's ridiculously simple to create established fighters. With every other division, you need to both build up your own talent and find the already-established talent in order for the division to be granted "legitimacy" within the organization's walls, but with heavyweight you don't need to. This even happens, albeit to a slightly lesser extent, at light-heavyweight (in another Bellator parable, Atilla Vegh ascended unanimously into the top-15 by Bellator doing this). It also works at middleweight to yet another lesser extent, but any organization can still end up with a nice sprig of good middleweights, maybe even with one or two top-15 fighters (though that spot's typically reserved for the #1 guy in the promotion's middleweight division, ala Alexander Shlemenko). One FC knows this and is already working on accomplishing this goal down the line. If they'd partner up with M-1 and get their hands on the heavyweights they've got, it'd only speed this process up. Chris Barnett would also be fun to see in One FC.

The only thing focusing on the lighter weight divisions does is limit the amount of success they- and the fighters they promote have, while gaining the approval of the minute percentage of this sport's community who falsely think that this strategy is the only means for the promotion to have success. However, I do wanna say that I firmly think that One FC becoming the mecca for 115-pound men's fighters in the world in the home of the largest amount of successful ~115-pound combat sport practitioners in the world (I.E., east- and southeast-Asia) would help them to gain a very worthwhile edge in this sport. There're also a lot of very great fighters at the top of the 115-pound ladder right now that are desperate for a good promotion that wants to focus on them-- Rambaa Somdet, Mitsuhisa Sunabe, Mikihito Yamagami, Shinya Murofushi, Nobita Naito, Yuki Shojo, and even some of the other good fighters in the division like Sarumaru, Tahara and Rey Docyogen (he fought at 115 for years before he moved to 125 for One FC). It'd also kickstart that division's activity in the mecca for that division's talent, which'd eventually produce a champion from that region (regional #1 fighters in a weight-class almost always draw large when they're combined with a good promotion, even if it's a small weight-class; Yoshio Shirai's world-title fight drew 45,000 people and kickstarted boxing in Japan, and he fought at 112). However, that's a discussion for another time, and doing that doesn't require the abandoning of the 185-205+ divisions.

ONE FC will become the next pride when Ben Askren becomes as exciting as prime Wanderlei Silva

theyll be the next PRIDE when they sell out the Tokyo Dome

Agreed

The whole 'next Pride' meme is laughable. There will never be another Pride. Pride was a perfect storm of circumstances that no longer exist and are not likely to ever be replicated.

Every time someone slaps the 'next Pride' label on a new MMA promotion, they are doing it a disservice by setting unrealistic expectations. Just enjoy it for what it is, not for some fantasy of what you want it to be.
spinninganimation.gif

Back