Can One FC Become The New Pride?

jthatdude

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
I have watched some One FC cards and read many articles detailing the success of One FC in Asian countries. It seems they have the financial backing to attract quality fighters or VP's (Rich Franklin) to their organization. Do you think One FC can become the New Pride?

Short answer: No

Long answer: Hell no

Agreed

The whole 'next Pride' meme is laughable. There will never be another Pride. Pride was a perfect storm of circumstances that no longer exist and are not likely to ever be replicated.

Every time someone slaps the 'next Pride' label on a new MMA promotion, they are doing it a disservice by setting unrealistic expectations. Just enjoy it for what it is, not for some fantasy of what you want it to be.

no but think a company purchases the rights to the name/etc and starts to hold ppv events like you would see an old pride event.

They have singed a few interesting guys and haven't really found any good fights for them.

I think ONE's big problem right now is that the SE Asia markets they are in are just not a hotbed for MMA talent at the moment. There are only so many big name foreign free agents they can bring in as they have to outbid the western companies for them.

No i hate this stupid comparaison, one fc should be focus on the categories under 70kg and maybe become a new WEC based in Asia/south east asia

dont become pride. squash matches and gang control=not a good goal to reach =D

No i hate this stupid comparaison, one fc should be focus on the categories under 70kg and maybe become a new WEC based in Asia/south east asia

That is a far more realistic goal, but even that is a bit far-fetched.

WEC was able to land 80% of the best fighters at FW/BW because no other broadcast outlet existed for them. That, plus Zuffa's deep pockets, allowed them to corner the market in those two divisions. OneFC can't do that because Zuffa already has the lion's share of the talent at 125 and higher.

Why would any company want to be the next Pride? It was nothing but a Japanese fad.

Why do so many fans want to see ONE FC become the "next PRIDE"? How about letting them breathe and become the first ONE FC?

PRIDE was basically just a Japanese promotion that held events in primarily Saitama with occasional stops in Osaka, Tokyo and Yokohama. OneFC will never get as big as PRIDE did overall but they're already holding events in far more countries and that's with them not even cracking into Japan, Korea or China yet.

One FC will need more freakshow fights and worked fights to become the new PRIDE.

I kid. I kid.

Promotions need to find their own identity, not try to imitate or replace another.

This.

It can't be the new Pride, it's right now a great alternative to the flat taste that american MMA top promotions have: ONE FC has a different format, different rules, is more focused on light weight classes, has tournaments, has a lot of fighters with totally different styles that are not much conservative in fights.

For what's my experience: UFC/Bellator/WSOF is a format (personally their shows looks all similar between each other), ONE FC is a totally different option as M-1 Global is another totally different product, Invicta is another prodcut due to been a all-women org ...
personally, is really gold that ONE FC M-1 and other eurasian promotions exist as the women orgs, or I would have slowly quit "alternative MMA" (not the top 5 fighters) due to boredom

I have watched some One FC cards and read many articles detailing the success of One FC in Asian countries. It seems they have the financial backing to attract quality fighters or VP's (Rich Franklin) to their organization. Do you think One FC can become the New Pride?

lol

No, I actually enjoy fights at WW and up being fought under the best possible ruleset on earth, ONE FC's ruleset. why should only the lighter guys fight under the obviously superior ruleset?

Why do so many fans want to see ONE FC become the "next PRIDE"? How about letting them breathe and become the first ONE FC?

they are already the first ONE FC......

Its hard to be a new WEC when the talent pool of the location your org is based on is pretty much non existant.

Back