can my dad be my mma manager?

Edgar Lopez

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I'm 16 I'm doing wrestling in high school first then taekwondo, jiu jitsu, and mma. Can my dad be my mma manager after my first amatuer fight?

yes and no, you are still young , the best would be to have a trainer as a manager.

yes and no, you are still young , the best would be to have a trainer as a manager.

Maybe his father is his coach, that's the only scenario I'd say yes it's ok

Anyone can be your manager
I dont agree that its best to have a trainer as a manager
I work in regional MMA and not all trainers have your best interest at heart
I've seen trainers sacrifice their own students to make another fighter look good or just to have enough fights to put on a show
Theres a lotta shady shit in small time MMA best to have someone you can trust completely looking out for you

You mean like legally? Of course. Dads are often managers in fighters careers.

If your Dad wants to be your manager, shouldn't he be the one figuring out these logistics?

Ask Stephen Thompson...

Or if your daddy is a bodybuilder cocaine-steroid dealer you can be like Sage Northcutt.

Basically when you turn 18 anyone your mom, dad, girlfriend, boyfriend, wife and even the local hooker can be your MMA manager. When 17 and under only your mom and dad can manage you or someone they agree on and sign a contract with can manage you.

Stephen Thompson, Jordan Mein and Sage Northcutt were/are all managed by their fathers if I'm not mistaken.

Sure why not? You don't need anyones permission to hire a manager.

Back