Can MMA be considered a "style" now?

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by SAMURAI SPIRIT, Mar 20, 2020.

1. SAMURAI SPIRIT

SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

In the early days of UFC, it was style against style. Karate vs Muay Thai and Kung-fu vs BJJ etc. Then it became a "Striker vs Grappler" or "Striker vs Striker" etc. Finally fighters became well rounded and disciplines such as Muay Thai and BJJ are now being trained to address different aspects of the fight.

Most BJJ gyms today are featuring separate classes for MMA fighters which are invitation only. Previous experience in a martial art such as Muay Thai or BJJ is required and then they are modifying or "unlearning" the bad habits they acquired from their BJJ or Muay Thai backgrounds so that they could fight in MMA setting.

It makes me wonder if we are at the level where MMA should now be acknowledged and taught as its own discipline? Would it help if MMA classes were marketed to the beginner so they never develop the bad habits such as spider guard and a lot of striking aspects that do not translate well into an MMA type setting? I hope I am able to convey this concept here but does MMA now have a potential to stand on its own feet or should it still be relying on BJJ, wrestling and Muay Thai as its "base?"

2. 2004 account

2004 account Longtime fan

I wouldn't call it a style unto itself, it's the mix between various disciplines, calling it one style would be oversimplifying it because it depends on the variables (how much of one art have you studied over another?)

In the end It's a hybrid of styles

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    pollice verso and agibmxmma like this.
  3. SAMURAI SPIRIT

SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

I see your point but in Muay Thai there are kickers, then there are punchers and there are clinch fighters. Everyone studies everything but when two fighters face off one would excel over the other in any of these areas. How is that different from MMA? We can produce fighters in three aspects, striking, grappling and ground. They can develop themselves in any of these depending on how they train.

agibmxmma likes this.
  4. agibmxmma

agibmxmma Ex Pro Fighter. Omerta, Live Aloha!

MMA describes what it is perfectly.. Mixed Martial Arts. A mix of various Martial Arts, no need to change what isn't broken.

5. SAMURAI SPIRIT

SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

But when you mix martial arts you also leave whatever does not have direct relevance to full contact NHB. You leave out spider guard from BJJ as it has relevance in a BJJ tournament and not in real fight. You leave out judo throws that are hard to execute when punches are flying. The dynamics of MMA leave you with their own set of high probability techniques which may better be perfected in their own individual capacity then through a "mother-art" which gives you dominance under a totally different set of rules.

Just thinking loud here. Perhaps people who compete in MMA could chime in and give their thoughts.

6. Baba Ghanoush

Baba Ghanoush Black Belt

MMA still loses to Aikido in a street fight.

7. vladimirvlad

vladimirvlad MMA is my life

I think it's a combination of styles...

8. Reyesnuthugr

Reyesnuthugr Dominick Reyes Belt

It encompasses almost everything. It's not a style

It can't be taught or learned as a style, it still takes multiple coaches who have expertise in a style to teach it somewhat well (but still nowhere near polished), and the end result is contestants who haven't mastered more than one of the sub-styles within it.

After all that, there still hasn't been a standardized method for integrating the different basic elements. Plus MMA is still in its infancy

It's like calling the olympics a sport. You could if you insisted on doing so, but it doesn't mean anything if you do

Last edited: Mar 21, 2020
  9. LtJuJitsu

LtJuJitsu White Belt

We should start mma events with single n' a-half weave gi's, not too thin, not too thick, just right

10. BADBOYKILLA

BADBOYKILLA Blue Belt

11. Dreyga2000

Dreyga2000 Always Rooting for the Black Guy

I think of each discipline as a subject in school. You learn math, science, language arts to make you a smarter person but they are all distinctively different subjects

12. SAMURAI SPIRIT

SAMURAI SPIRIT Blue Belt

And I get that, but lets say that you were hired to teach a martial art to the general population. The goal was to give them a collection of the most practical techniques from practical disciplines like BJJ, Muay Thai, Wrestling etc. What would you call it? It is not pure BJJ nor is it pure MT. If it is not MMA then would be a different martial art oworthy of its own name?

13. The Reed

The Reed Red Belt

Bro, I totally get the point you're making and agree with it but Imanari managed to pull off some sweet spider guard stuff in MMA using wrist control. I think it was either against Tokoro or Abel Cullum.

14. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

Sure.

Boxing is considered a "style", yet anyone who knows anything about boxing will know that there are many "styles" within boxing. The fact that we can (endlessly) subclassify styles does not make the broader classification wrong.