1. Come join Sherdog writers Ant Walker and Jason Burgos for our live video chat series called "The Trenches," live now, click here!

Can McGregor even go back to 145?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by kmasonbx, Feb 26, 2016.

1. kmasonbx

kmasonbx Brown Belt

Wouldn't it look bad to the casual fan at this point? I mean it's one thing when you've only seen him fight at 145 and he happens to be bigger than everyone he's fought but it's a another thing to see him fight at 170 and not look soft or blown up and then watch him go back down to 145. Could this fight have the unintended effect of making people look at McGregor as sort of a bully at that weight class?

BryanTheFighter likes this.
  2. jk7707

jk7707 Black Belt

If he can't go back it won't be for the reason you posted. Conor doesn't seem to give a shit about looking like a bully or a bad guy. It will be because he either physically or mentally can't take that kind of weight cut anymore. And after fighting at 170 it will be much harder in both aspects.

3. ClosetVitorFan

ClosetVitorFan Silver Belt

I think hes done at 145lbs to be honest. He's just holding onto the belt because he wanted to be a 2 division champion. But Yea. He's gonna bounce between 155 and 170 from now on.

NightwingBJJ and TheNinja like this.
  4. El Fernas

El Fernas Red Belt

He made weight back in december, so yeah, he can, if he would do it thats another thing.

5. JonKunDo

JonKunDo Postin 25/8

I think it's pretty inevitable that if he wins the lightweight belt he won't go back down; if he loses against Nate or RDA he'll have to though I guess

6. IdunnoWhoCares

IdunnoWhoCares Purple Belt

Hi, my name is Mcrgregor. I won't go down to 145 lbs anymore even if there is a big money fight at 145 lbs because I'm very very concerned that the casual fan might think I'm a bully who fights midgets.

7. subhuman trash

subhuman trash Mystic Tap Double Yellow Card

He seems pretty uninterested in fighting RDA now going by his comments at the presser. I do think he's done at 145, and I do think it's true that he's not even planning to defend the FW belt, which is garbage. Doesn't seem impressive feat in that case at all. Winning without defending always looks bad.

8. MMA-woooooh!!!!

MMA-woooooh!!!! Brown Belt

idk how guys can move up and have an easier time with a weightcut and want to drop down, starve themselves and lose their strength and size gains. i mean for the money they get i guess you do what you gotta do but it would still be bloody hard on the mind and body.

jk7707 likes this.
  9. thomm030

thomm030 Purple Belt

I think after his next fight he'll settle at 155. It's common knowledge the cut to 145 has always been hard for him, so I think 155 would make sense.

10. milenss

milenss Red Belt

He made it in the past, he can make it again.