Can Kevin Lee grind out Gaethje for 5 rounds?

No. Lee has poor cardio, a chin that's not exactly great, and Gathje has the wrestling credentials to stop most of his shots and quickly rise on the chance that he gets taken down. Gaethje is not a good matchup for most fighters that rely heavily on the takedown.

I don't think it would last 5 rounds. In a drawn out ground fight Lee wins. Standing he gets wrecked.

I've never really seen anyone shoot on Justin, so I don't know what his TDD is like, everyone says he is a good wrestler so I will take their word for it.

Lee has improved his standup, and has good takedowns. But he does tend to fade as the fight goes on. Hard fight to call, I'm unsure. maybe if it was a 3 round fight I would have Lee by decision

I would actually like to see JG challenged on the ground by an elite wrestler or grappler. That's the only thing that would turn one of his fights into any kind of technical skills display.

I'm not here to see blood. I'm here to see mastery.

Lol loser
#JustBleed

Gaethje matches up real well with Lee.

No one can really get him down and if you can good luck trying to keep him there.

Lee's striking presents no real threat to Justin.
Why doesn’t it? This is the guy that has been KOd twice in a row recently and gets rocked every fight. I love gaethje but stop acting like all of a sudden he’s a world class striker that no one can beat him on the feet. He has certain things he does well standing and he has power but Lee isn’t horrible on the feet either and can survive there if need be. What I’m saying is this fight is pretty good and both guys have about even chances of winning.

Why doesn’t it? This is the guy that has been KOd twice in a row recently and gets rocked every fight. I love gaethje but stop acting like all of a sudden he’s a world class striker that no one can beat him on the feet. He has certain things he does well standing and he has power but Lee isn’t horrible on the feet either and can survive there if need be. What I’m saying is this fight is pretty good and both guys have about even chances of winning.
Poirer and Alvarez no doubt have more power then Lee. Justin has a great chin i dont think Lee is the guy to beat him. Also i never said Justin had world class striking at all. His toughness gets him a lot of wins and if Lee cant get him down and hold him down i think he loses for sure on the feet.

Intriguing fight. If Lee takedown Justin and hold him, i don't know if he has the durability to go the distance. Id love to see this fight and I think they both deserve this fight.

Nah, he beats him up and potentially chokes him out.

No grinding needed.

maybe. justin's apparently a really good wrestler but we never really see him use it. also how many leg kicks can kevin lee take?

I'm not the one who picked Hendricks to beat wonderboy man. Seems like you were the one in the pretend world and now you're using hindsight. So maybe, and more likely, we just look at fighters and their skillset and their accomplishments differently.

I was contextualizing that he went into a career skid and physical transformation then, coinciding with USADA. You are correct I didn't predict Hendricks would go from world champion, who had never been stopped or remotely hurt on the feet, to a 1-4 run where he gets KO'd repeatedly.

You have to consider context. If you are going to say it was your vision of how Hendricks matched up that predicted and not that his career would literally turn into a dumpster fire, I call shenanigans, but OK.

In regards to Justin's fight IQ, he's doing fine. He has the same amount of top ten wins as Lee, and the fights he lost were very competitive against guys who are at or above Lee's level.

This is a super odd way of saying 'nearly knocked out against a lower level opponent, then knocked out twice in a row, proceeded by a win against an unheralded opponent.'

Talk about sugar coating. Even if we don't want to split hairs, we are talking 2-2 with both losses being spectacularly senseless KO losses in winnable fights.

Also, despite how short his fight against Vick was, he showed a lot of patience with how he pressured and closed the distance. He and his coach have been stressing patience and keeping dominant foot position, and I think we saw some of that against Vick.

Unless I'm remembering wrong, this fight lasted less than two minutes.

Regardless, I just don't think Lee is ready for what Justin brings to the table. I think Gaethje is more prepared to deal with Lee's grappling than Lee is prepared for Justin's pressure and striking.

I do know that Lee's best chance is holding Justin down and submitting him, and I do know that I've seen some of Justin's wrestling career and I strongly doubt Lee can hold Justin down. Lee failed on 7/8 takedowns against AI--it wasn't a wrestling match because AI shut down Lee's wrestling. I expect Justin can do the same, at least enough to get the win.

It's just my opinion. Lee looks better each fight, though, so who knows.

No need to put down Maia over it lol.

I love Maia and I enjoy arguing with you. I'm not disrespecting him, but we all sometimes pick our hearts instead of brains.

I can't stand Lee and I find JG an interesting and fun guy to have around.

Lee will casually walk through him. JG has a punchers chance and I think his fight IQ has looked atrocious, he's literally said as much in his interviews.

That is what James Vick thought

Oh stop it.

Who is the best opponent Vick has a W over? Duffy I suppose?

He's made exactly one previous step up in competition with Dariush and got summarily knocked out. He just did it again. It's likely James can't fight in the deep end of the pool.

Both Poirer and Alvarez thought they could outsmart JG. They both knocked him out. Thats half of his opponents so far in the UFC. FFS Michael the-losing-streak Johnson nearly put him away.

NCAA Division II Wrestling (Lee)
vs.
NCAA Division I Wrestling (Justin)

Can Lee avoid getting a heart attack from the relentless pressure of a superior athlete?

Back