Can Kevin Lee grind out Gaethje for 5 rounds?

He wouldn't have to, he'd probably end gaejthe s night via strikes inside of 3...

Lol- Have I missed something- Gaejthe put down a 145er in an all out war and ko-ed Vick.He got grilled by Poirier and got busted up by an Eddie Alvarez who s probably officially on other side of career...

Only in the land of sherdog

lee would get knocked out. dude is so overrated lol. barboza was on deaths row and still stanky legged him after lee was beating on him for 2-3 rounds. imagine what gaethje would do to him on the feet lol.

lee would get knocked out. dude is so overrated lol. barboza was on deaths row and still stanky legged him after lee was beating on him for 2-3 rounds. imagine what gaethje would do to him on the feet lol.
yeah because gaethje isn't being severely overrated just because he won yesterday, right?

yeah because gaethje isn't being severely overrated just because he won yesterday, right?
i dont think so. hes been fighting top 10 guys since he came in. if u look at lees resume its not that impressive for a guy with 10 or so ufc fights. barboza who got mauled by khabib before, chiesa who got ran out of 155, and who else? trinaldo i guess. got beat by iaquinta, tony ferg and santos slept him.

gaethje in 4 ufc fights has fought johnson, poirer, eddie and now vick. maybe kevin lee next. thats the fight that makes sense since pettis is fighting tony.

Until I see Lee beat a wrestler, I won't believe it. Especially against a wrestler who can put lee's lights out on the feet.

This would probably be about as accurate as Maia having a chance against any elite opponent.

Sometimes we get clouded by personal bias.

For what its worth, I find Kevin Lee wildly, wildly annoying. He is head and shoulders a better, more proven fighter than JG.

This would probably be about as accurate as Maia having a chance against any elite opponent.

Sometimes we get clouded by personal bias.

Your opinion on maia is indeed clouded by bias, just like when you told me hendricks would beat wonderboy because hendricks had faced great strikers like lawler lol.

you're basing your opinions solely off who people have fought, and ignoring how these people actually look while fighting. you also only apply your own values and your own rankings when you regard fighters worth, which basically defines bias.

For what its worth, I find Kevin Lee wildly, wildly annoying. He is head and shoulders a better, more proven fighter than JG.

For what it's worth, I like Lee. I think he has potential to be the most well rounded fighter at LW. his double legs remind me of GSP. I just think that he's not there yet, and that stylistically, justin would be his hardest match to date.

i dont think so. hes been fighting top 10 guys since he came in. if u look at lees resume its not that impressive for a guy with 10 or so ufc fights. barboza who got mauled by khabib before, chiesa who got ran out of 155, and who else? trinaldo i guess. got beat by iaquinta, tony ferg and santos slept him.

gaethje in 4 ufc fights has fought johnson, poirer, eddie and now vick. maybe kevin lee next. thats the fight that makes sense since pettis is fighting tony.

This guy gets it. People who act like Lee is far more proven than Gaethje are nuts

I'm not here to see blood. I'm here to see mastery.

tenor.gif

I believe Justin is a good amateur wrestler. He just never uses it.

How does their wrestling credentials match up ?

I believe Justin is a good amateur wrestler. He just never uses it.

How does their wrestling credentials match up ?

Justin's wrestling credentials blow Lee's out of the water. It's not even close.

Your opinion on maia is indeed clouded by bias, just like when you told me hendricks would beat wonderboy because hendricks had faced great strikers like lawler lol.

Are we living in a pretend world where Johny Hendricks didn't have the sharpest physical and performance decline in the history of the sport? He was 16-3 coming into the Wonderboy fight. Two of those three losses controversial split decisions.

He then goes on a 1-5 streak, getting knocked out repeatedly since USADA. You are being intellectually dishonest here.

you're basing your opinions solely off who people have fought, and ignoring how these people actually look while fighting. you also only apply your own values and your own rankings when you regard fighters worth, which basically defines bias.

Kevin Lee looks like one of the best MMA adapted grapplers in the sport right now. He absolutely dominated Ferguson on the ground until he gassed, and had an obvious staph infection. What are we debating here?

Who has out wrestled or grappled Kevin Lee?

Raging Al beat him in a decision a comical 12 fights ago and it wasn't a wrestling match, not that Al is a particularly good wrestler.

JG doesn't seem to have any fight IQ and he's already been cleaned up twice by lesser men since arriving. A career freefall-skid Michael Johnson nearly put him away FFS.

I would root for Justin.....but Lee by brutal GnP. Probably finish in first or second round. Lee is just levels above Justin when it comes to speed and strength, sometimes that actually wins fights.

Last edited:
Lee is head and shoulders the better fighter at this point.

JG showed pretty horrific fight IQ against Alvarez and Poirer in sequential fights, we didn't learn anything by a 30 second KO win. We already knew he could hit and kick hard.

I'd take Lee in this by a wide margin.
That is what James Vick thought

Justin would destroy Lee with strikes. Much better stand-up fighter and the wrestling would equal itself out

I doubt it. Gaethje is the worst match up for guys like Lee and Khabib, it's just too bad we'll never get to see him fight Khabib for the title because he can't get through better strikers like Dustin and Eddie. And Lee and Khabib probably beat both of them. Damn you MMA math!
Geathje is still young and has a long time to improve.

Just look at how much better Dustin has gotten over the years.

I would actually like to see JG challenged on the ground by an elite wrestler or grappler. That's the only thing that would turn one of his fights into any kind of technical skills display.

I'm not here to see blood. I'm here to see mastery.

I think he gasses in the 3rd if it goes that far.

Are we living in a pretend world where Johny Hendricks didn't have the sharpest physical and performance decline in the history of the sport? He was 16-3 coming into the Wonderboy fight. Two of those three losses controversial split decisions.

He then goes on a 1-5 streak, getting knocked out repeatedly since USADA. You are being intellectually dishonest here.

Kevin Lee looks like one of the best MMA adapted grapplers in the sport right now. He absolutely dominated Ferguson on the ground until he gassed, and had an obvious staph infection. What are we debating here?

Who has out wrestled or grappled Kevin Lee?

Raging Al beat him in a decision a comical 12 fights ago and it wasn't a wrestling match, not that Al is a particularly good wrestler.

JG doesn't seem to have any fight IQ and he's already been cleaned up twice by lesser men since arriving. A career freefall-skid Michael Johnson nearly put him away FFS.

I'm not the one who picked Hendricks to beat wonderboy man. Seems like you were the one in the pretend world and now you're using hindsight. So maybe, and more likely, we just look at fighters and their skillset and their accomplishments differently.

You've picked plenty of fights wrong, and so have I. So neither of us should be acting like our opinions are infallible or inherently better than the other's.

In regards to Justin's fight IQ, he's doing fine. He has the same amount of top ten wins as Lee, and the fights he lost were very competitive against guys who are at or above Lee's level.

Also, despite how short his fight against Vick was, he showed a lot of patience with how he pressured and closed the distance.
He and his coach have been stressing patience and keeping dominant foot position, and I think we saw some of that against Vick.

Regardless, I just don't think Lee is ready for what Justin brings to the table. I think Gaethje is more prepared to deal with Lee's grappling than Lee is prepared for Justin's pressure and striking.

I do know that Lee's best chance is holding Justin down and submitting him, and I do know that I've seen some of Justin's wrestling career and I strongly doubt Lee can hold Justin down. Lee failed on 7/8 takedowns against AI--it wasn't a wrestling match because AI shut down Lee's wrestling. I expect Justin can do the same, at least enough to get the win.

It's just my opinion. Lee looks better each fight, though, so who knows.

No need to put down Maia over it lol.

Last edited:
Gaethje matches up real well with Lee.

No one can really get him down and if you can good luck trying to keep him there.

Lee's striking presents no real threat to Justin.
Lee hits hard and Justin allows himself to be very hittable. The stand up definitely isn't a wash for Gaethje.

Back