Can Kevin Lee grind out Gaethje for 5 rounds?

Exactly! And I want to see that aspect of Justin's game - the most elite aspect of his game - put to a much greater challenge by a better ground player. That would excite me, as a fan of MMA, a lot more than another bloody bar brawl.
Woah

Being a wrestler in high school or college doesn't mean he is a good MMA wrestler. MMA wrestling is very different and I've seen very little evidence that Gaethje is a good MMA wrestler.

This. I would still favor Gaethje in this fight just because I think there is a greater chance of him finishing Lee on the feet than Lee taking him down and holding him there for 3 rounds.

I wanna see this fight, I think Lee is the smarter fighter so I'm going with him. But it's not going to be easy implementing his usual strategy against Justin, or is it?

Has Lee ever faced a wrestler and won?

I don't think so

Gaethje would have to fight smart which is tough for him

But if he does that's a winnable matchup. Kevin has a bad chin and if he can't get Gaethje down... that chin is getting cracked

Justin is the uncrowned champ. He makes Floyds record 49 and 1 and would have ran through the PRIDE grand prix Shogun won. And Jon Jones is his illegitimate son.

Am I doing it rite?

Lee is head and shoulders the better fighter at this point.

JG showed pretty horrific fight IQ against Alvarez and Poirer in sequential fights, we didn't learn anything by a 30 second KO win. We already knew he could hit and kick hard.

I'd take Lee in this by a wide margin.

No. Just bleed Justin's dutch style shell doesn't allow him to prevent takedowns

Getting Justin down isn't as hard as holding him down. The guy scrambles and bounces up amazingly well.

Last edited:
What do you guys think? I dont see it happening. Justin, stylistically is probably the worst matchup for Lee aside from Ferguson.

I see a brutal KO early in the 1st or second from Justin after stuffing a few takedowns.
I like the Lee fight. It would be interesting to see how Kevin deals with Justins constant forward pressure. Sometimes elite fighters like Lee surprisingly dont know how to deal with a fighter like Gaethje because they are so used to fighting styles of technique and patience. Justin is pedal to the floor hit me all you want but Im hitting you for sure. Justin is division 1 wrestling base, which doesnt mean a whole lot when you havent needed to use the wrestling in so long, not to mention Justin may not have anywhere near the level of BJJ Lee has. I guarantee you though Justin wont tap out either so its either sleep him on the feet or the ground there is no other option. I like the fight, book it.

i like justin i like his real personality.
i think he improved. a fight kevin lee vs gaethje would be nice.

No Staph Lee is the real deal. However, Gaethje is a beast and nightmare match up for Lee staph or no staph.

I see it the same. Kevin Lee's striking is very robotic and he doesn't have much power. Hes also pretty slow.

Kevin Lee is very young and his base is wrestling. His striking has actually improved a lot since joining the UFC. I give it 2 years before Lee is a champ.

JG showed pretty horrific fight IQ against Alvarez and Poirer in sequential fights, we didn't learn anything by a 30 second KO win. We already knew he could hit and kick hard.

Is lee head and shoulders above Justin in striking? Hell no. Striking is his weakness. Its serviceable enough to keep him alive but as we've seen in almost all his fights, if it stays on the feet for long periods of time he will get cracked.

I like this scrap - Lee got this!

Kevin Lee is a stupid fighter. I don't mean that to be as disparaging as it sounds but Kevin Lee is the type of dummy that can be baited into fighting any fight his opponent wants with a few words. He's an impulsive, arrogant, overweight guy with too much pride to fight clever.

I'd favor Lee. You all are sleeping on Lee's striking. He's got very technical striking, straight fast punches, hands high and chin low and he's super athletic with great wrestling.
Be a great fight, hope they book it.

Kevin Lee is a stupid fighter. I don't mean that to be as disparaging as it sounds but Kevin Lee is the type of dummy that can be baited into fighting any fight his opponent wants with a few words. He's an impulsive, arrogant, overweight guy with too much pride to fight clever.

in his last 3 fights he beat Barboza and Chiesa, and put on a strong performance against Tony despite an obvious staph infection ... not sure what you're talking about here, friendo.

in his last 3 fights he beat Barboza and Chiesa, and put on a strong performance against Tony despite an obvious staph infection ... not sure what you're talking about here, friendo.
I can't argue with his resume, is is impressive. My post is just my opinion. I think he's an idiot who would get very easily drawn into a brawl with anyone, he's easy to get a reaction out of and he's emotional. I think he'd become a punching bag just because he'd set out on a mission to KO anyone who offended him.

I still don't know if Lee can beat a wrestler.
There's a trend of Lee losing to guys with wrestling pedigrees--Tony and Al.

Justin is far more credentialed of a wrestler than Tony or AI, and although he doesn't use it much, he has shown great scrambling abilities. He's more dangerous on the feet, too.

Last edited:
Back