1. We are currently experiencing technical difficulties. For those experiencing login issues, a temporary solution is to clear your cache and cookies on your web browser. We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.
  2. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

Can JDS improve at this point in his career?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by thinkandbeslim, Jan 25, 2020.

1. thinkandbeslim Purple Belt

In recent times, we've seen Arlovski lose 4 straight (Fedor, Rogers, Silvia, Sergei) yet he was still able to return to the UFC and work his way back to being a title contender.

Is it possible at this stage of his career for JDS to do the same? His chin has always been solid (certainly more so than Arlovski's) and I don't believe he is simply showing up for the paycheck, unlike many HW fighters.

His one big weakness has always been the fact that he allows himself to be backed into the cage, which negates his striking and enables strong grapplers to exert their strengths and work their game plans on him.
    Surely this is a technical matter that could be significantly improved with the right trainers, right? The fight against Blades will obviously tell us a lot of what JDS has left in the tank.

Anyone else think he could do well again if he was simply to make a few technical adjustments?

2. Buff Trash Belt Degenerate

Physical adjustments would probably be better.

As in being 10 years younger, and having had about 27 hours less fight time against Mr Cain Velasquez...

Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
  3. Foghorn Leghorn Purple Belt

Dann dawg, you saying 2011 was recent (and me thinking maybe it wasn't so long ago) makes us old.

As for getting backed into the cage and changing that? Pettis was also a former champ, has a similar problem and has... Not fixed it

4. BlessedSoldier Banned Banned

If he improved his defense he would be unbeatable

5. ArtemV Gold Belt

Not really. His movement isn't going to get better. However, his shot selection and overall technique could be improved a lot. His technique is horrible for having had Dorea (Brazilian national boxing coach) as one of his main trainers.

6. Zebra Cheeks 2 Cheeks And A Soda Staff Member Senior Moderator

I think he’ll hang in contender status for quite a few years. He’s got enough technique and timing to still get the best of fighters that can’t overwhelm him with physicality

7. g*r*b Super-Stretch Elastic Waistband

Can he? I think so. But will he? I think not. He strikes me as a little too self-satisfied about his skills. To him, getting better means adding some gadget to the toolbox, like the calf kicks he tried to lame Stipe with.

8. Schoolboy Q Gold Belt

At this point, Ngannou KO’s him 10/10 times. His days as an elite fighter are over.

9. Reach4theSky Playin' a riddim

If he gets back with his first wife, he'll be champ again..

10. ConorFacts Banned Banned

dude he still makes the same mistakes and he isnt as fast and as explosive anymore

do the math

11. thinkandbeslim Purple Belt

It's very recent when you consider when he was champ and in his supposed prime. After he got brutally KOed by Sergei, I thought it was time for him to retire. Yet he still made an impressive run when you consider the opponents he beat on the return to the UFC.

12. Foghorn Leghorn Purple Belt

Excellent usage of the word lame

13. TalibaN Banned Banned

USADA so no !

when he fought Cro Crop he was on AAS to the ceiling

14. thinkandbeslim Purple Belt

Francis KO's most UFC fighters 10/10 times.....if he improves his weakness, maybe he'll be able to do the same to Stipe and DC.

If JDS manages to keep the fight against Curtis standing for the first 2 rounds, I can see him winning by UD or late stoppage.

A big if, I know, but I still have faith in JDS.

Flame away!

15. Intermedius Purple Belt

No. Only Werdum has improved at HW this late in a career. Maybe Mark Hunt did as well, until He got too old.

16. Taric Gold Belt

JDS is clearly past his prime.

17. daemusvladornu Purple Belt

He hasn't been the same since Cain mauled him. He's an amazing fighter but he's taken a lot of damage over the last few years. I don't believe there is a person on the planet he CAN'T beat. He can knock out just about any man walking the face of the earth. But he's on that downward spiral in his career in my opinion.

18. TEXASMOJO Brown Belt

Yes absolutely. All he has to do is use takedowns and GnP. I never understood why he only chose to stand and trade his whole career.

19. CodCommando Brown Belt

They can't improve their flaws past their prime. It's embedded in their brains.

20. superpunch Banned Banned

Whatever workouts he did in the past to have the speed he did -- he needs to start doing those workouts again.