Can I shoot 357 magnum rounds in a 38 special revolver?

You can shoot .38 in a .357, but cannot shoot .357 in a .38 and you can take that to the bank.

You can shoot .38 in a .357, but cannot shoot .357 in a .38 and you can take that to the bank.

.....no shit????

you can also shoot 44spcl out of a 44mag or 223 out of a 556. Whats your point???

.....no shit????

you can also shoot 44spcl out of a 44mag or 223 out of a 556. Whats your point???

Oh yea...

Well I can shoot .460, .454 casull and .45 long colt out of my .460XVR.

And I can shoot .410 shotgun and .45 long colt out of my Judge.

Whats up now...

I'm guessing his point was to answer the question TS posted in the OP:rolleyes:

The question in the OP was "can you shoot 357 out of a 38spc;" the answer is no. Its common knowledge that ccertain weapons can use different ammo but its usually a weaker round IE 38spcl out of a 357, 45lc out of a 454. Not the other way around.

This thread is ridiculous.

Do not fire 357 out of a 38. Don't even fire +p unless your firearm is rated for it. Do not fire 5.56 out of a .223.

The reverse is ok, you can fire .38 out of a 357, and you can fire 223 out of a 5.56.

This, all day.

That thing will eat as much full power 357 as you could ever possibly feed it and still be like new...

Seriously, ruger revolvers are indestructible, I've shot smith and wessons until tey rattled, never a ruger though.

Took it out shooting last night, and no fucking joke, ate through the 357's like nothing. The recoil was not bad at all, reminded me of a 45, but i had a bitch of a time with my aim.

The overall dimensions for .38 and .357 are the same; .357 is longer.

You can fire .38 Special ammo in a .357; lots of people do.

On the other hand, .38 Special revolvers aren't engineered to withstand the chamber pressure exerted by a .357. Even if you could fit .357 in the cylinder, you'd likely be running a high risk of catastrophic failure (read: "blow up in your hands")

The revolver is a smith and wesson 38 special CTG. My grandfather had both 38 special bullets and 357 magnum bullets for it. Now normally I would just use the ammo that the gun was designed for, but he was in the military and the sheriff's dept for years so he knows his way around firearms, so I'm wondering if he was doing the right thing by purchasing 357 ammo for it or should he not have done that?

There was no internet back then so I wonder if one of his cop buddies just told him it would be fine. I'm not sure if he ever fired the 357 out of this gun or not, all I know is that he bought that ammo and this was the only pistol he owned.

I did read up a bit and it seems like they made the 357 rounds longer so they wouldn't fit into guns that couldn't handle the pressure, but the 357 rounds fit just fine into this gun, so I'm wondering if that means I'm safe to shoot it?
Yeah you can shoot 357 in a 38 if they fit. They actually should be the exact size but the length may not fit if there is any difference. However like home dude skillet said, the 38 isn't made for the more powerful 357, so shooting it could be dire consequences (most likely to the gun and somewhat likely to your face).

You CAN but don't
It is not at all accurate.
And probably dangerous
But I have done it.

Yeah you can shoot 357 in a 38 if they fit. They actually should be the exact size but the length may not fit if there is any difference. However like home dude skillet said, the 38 isn't made for the more powerful 357, so shooting it could be dire consequences (most likely to the gun and somewhat likely to your face).

why respond to a post from march 2014?

Just cause it fits doesn't mean it'll work. Pretty sure I've seen a vid of some dude having a .300 Blackout round in a magazine full of 5.56 and then having his gun blow up at the range.

Reason I bring that up is the .300 Blackout is a .300 projectile shoved into a 5.56 casing.

ZOMBIE THREAD...
Yeah I appreciate the answer and all but I forgot that I even started this thread lol.

Edit: I'm actually glad he bumped it though because I still never threw away that .357 ammo and I really should. I don't want to accidentally load it into the revolver if I'm in a hurry. So thanks for the reminder, thread bumper.

Yeah I appreciate the answer and all but I forgot that I even started this thread lol.

Edit: I'm actually glad he bumped it though because I still never threw away that .357 ammo and I really should. I don't want to accidentally load it into the revolver if I'm in a hurry. So thanks for the reminder, thread bumper.
NP op, just had this feeling deep within to bump this thread. I got the itch and I think only a 357 can scratch it.

Back