Can I shoot 357 magnum rounds in a 38 special revolver?

Fedorgasm

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
The revolver is a smith and wesson 38 special CTG. My grandfather had both 38 special bullets and 357 magnum bullets for it. Now normally I would just use the ammo that the gun was designed for, but he was in the military and the sheriff's dept for years so he knows his way around firearms, so I'm wondering if he was doing the right thing by purchasing 357 ammo for it or should he not have done that?

There was no internet back then so I wonder if one of his cop buddies just told him it would be fine. I'm not sure if he ever fired the 357 out of this gun or not, all I know is that he bought that ammo and this was the only pistol he owned.

I did read up a bit and it seems like they made the 357 rounds longer so they wouldn't fit into guns that couldn't handle the pressure, but the 357 rounds fit just fine into this gun, so I'm wondering if that means I'm safe to shoot it?

If it's labeled .38 special don't risk it. Good way to crack the frame or get a kaboom.

i used to have a s&w 686 357, and i was often told that i could use 38 ammo in it to save coin, have less muzzle blast, and powder buildup on the cylinder, etc while target practicing. however, im guessing that it doesn

a 357 mag revolver can shoot 357mag or 38spcl

Usually though, the cylinder is just a bit shorter on a 38spcl so you cant shoot 357 mag safely out of it. Even if the 357 dosen't fit though, its a bad idea.

so dont do it!!!

It shouldn't be possible. The .357 magnum case was made longer so people wouldn't load it in a .38 Special revolver.

It shouldn't be possible. The .357 magnum case was made longer so people wouldn't load it in a .38 Special revolver.

See, that's the strange thing. The .357 fits just fine into this revolver, leading me to think that maybe this gun can take both types.

Speaking of .357 magnums, just bought one yesterday. Ruger GP100, and now comes the 10 day wait period.

See, that's the strange thing. The .357 fits just fine into this revolver, leading me to think that maybe this gun can take both types.

See what happens, best case it works, worst case you walk away with only having one thumb and pointer finger.

It'll fit but you shouldn't be able to close the cylinder. If it does you still shouldn't shoot it with .357 ammo. The chamber pressure generated by a .357 Magnum is much greater than a .38 Special.

Do not fire 357 out of a 38. Don't even fire +p unless your firearm is rated for it. Do not fire 5.56 out of a .223.

The reverse is ok, you can fire .38 out of a 357, and you can fire 223 out of a 5.56.

Good choice, love my gp100 and my sp101.

Local shop had a crazy fucking deal on it. $575, 4'' barrel, did a double take and said "I'll take this gun right here, right now!" I don't know if someone fucked up on the price but that's what i got it locked in at. To me, this is a great deal.

Local shop had a crazy fucking deal on it. $575, 4'' barrel, did a double take and said "I'll take this gun right here, right now!" I don't know if someone fucked up on the price but that's what i got it locked in at. To me, this is a great deal.

That thing will eat as much full power 357 as you could ever possibly feed it and still be like new...

Seriously, ruger revolvers are indestructible, I've shot smith and wessons until tey rattled, never a ruger though.

Do not fire 357 out of a 38. Don't even fire +p unless your firearm is rated for it. Do not fire 5.56 out of a .223.

The reverse is ok, you can fire .38 out of a 357, and you can fire 223 out of a 5.56.

I've shot .223 and 5.56 out of my Mini.

But the Mini is rated for 5.56/223 so its actually probably a 5.56 chamber. I shoot everything out of my mini too and I got my first mini about 17 years ago, as far as I can remember they have always been rated for 5.56.

To settle my curiosity, I just got on Rugers website and yup...5.56/223:

http://www.ruger.com/products/mini14RanchRifle/models.html

Now in my weatherby 223 bolt rifle, I accidentally fired some 5.56 out of it and the shells jammed and wouldn't let the extractor get them out, definetly a 223 rifle.

i'm sure a call to smith & wesson could help.

Back