Can I see a gif of a single time Khabib was rocked/hurt/stopped in MMA?

they just wish but it never happened.
doesnt mean it will not happen.

he will be just fine to beat the shit out of Conor

Can I see one of Conor at lightweight? Eddie was never top three, he was a guy who got a lucky early stoppage when he fought RDA, just look what Poirier did to Eddie.

And Conor starched Poirer too. This argument stinks because Eddie, Nate, Dustin, Max, Jose are all better than any fighter Khabib has ever faced. Khabib has one of the most padded records in the sport with a few *decent* wins but zero standout wins,

Nobody is saying that Conor doesn't have a punchers chance.

I'm not.

But Aldo is a midget and for the most part a striker. His path to victory against Conor would be to win a striking war.

Khabib is not only a beast on the ground and with takedowns, but he's also extremely good at avoiding damage on the feet which is a greatly underestimated facet of his game. The point of this thread.
Aldo is actually a grappler first and foremost but he fell in love with his striking, he's similar to Fedor in that regard. Also Aldo is a million times more well-rounded than Khabib so his path to victory could change depending on how the fight played out, he was good enough at striking to KO him and also could have stopped him on the ground had he chosen to go that route. Khabib has one path to victory which seems pretty unstoppable at this point. More pertinent questions would be: When has Khabib fought a Southpaw? Was that Southpaw a grappler or striker? Did they possess the power, speed, accuracy and timing of Conor? Has Khabib ever fought someone with 4 or more inches of reach on him? How did he fare against them? Is he capable of a plan B when his grappling fails?

With all that being said I think this fight is a huge uphill battle for Conor. Since its inception the UFC has taught us when a great grappling based fighter fights a great striking based fighter more often than not the grappling based fighter will emerge victorious. Khabib should win this but to count Conor out would be a huge mistake, I counted him out against Aldo (literally thought he had no chance) and we all saw how that went. I will be cheering for Khabib and actually think he'll win but I'll be a ball of nerves until his hand is raised.

ezgif-5-4c168e9fc9.gif

Aldo is actually a grappler first and foremost but he fell in love with his striking, he's similar to Fedor in that regard. Also Aldo is a million times more well-rounded than Khabib so his path to victory could change depending on how the fight played out, he was good enough at striking to KO him and also could have stopped him on the ground had he chosen to go that route. Khabib has one path to victory which seems pretty unstoppable at this point. More pertinent questions would be: When has Khabib fought a Southpaw? Was that Southpaw a grappler or striker? Did they possess the power, speed, accuracy and timing of Conor? Has Khabib ever fought someone with 4 or more inches of reach on him? How did he fare against them? Is he capable of a plan B when his grappling fails?

With all that being said I think this fight is a huge uphill battle for Conor. Since its inception the UFC has taught us when a great grappling based fighter fights a great striking based fighter more often than not the grappling based fighter will emerge victorious. Khabib should win this but to count Conor out would be a huge mistake, I counted him out against Aldo (literally thought he had no chance) and we all saw how that went. I will be cheering for Khabib and actually think he'll win but I'll be a ball of nerves until his hand is raised.
I'm not counting Conor out.

He definitely has a chance, but I didn't count Barboza out either. I wasn't particularly worried about either of them though because styles make fights and strikers are tailor made to be fed to Khabib.

TBH, I was sweating buckets when they announced Raging Al was a late replacement for Tony because he has legit TDD and KO power. Not as good a fighter as Conor but a pretty bad matchup for Khabib.

I actually dropped $150 on Al before the fight and obviously lost the bet, but it was a great bet to take and I would have won a shitload of money because oddsmakers and the betting public are stupid and didn't realize how goods Al's chances actually were with his TDD and striking posing a stylistic dilemma for Khabib.

Here is a punch that had Khabib doing a deep knee bend.

KAB.gif

Here is a punch that had Khabib doing a deep knee bend.

View attachment 423199
It looks like Khabib matrixed that punch as it didn't land at all. If it grazed him at all he completely eliminated any damage it could have with his movement.

You see, this is what I'm talking about. He has surprising defensive movement and agility considering what people say about him.

When you're as strong a grappler/wrestler as him all you need is the ability to avoid damage on the feet and implement your gameplan.

Almost every reply on a "fighter vs fighter" thread turns into a group insulting one fighter and another group insulting the other. Both guys are clearly super talented top notch fighters. Can't wait.

It looks like Khabib matrixed that punch as it didn't land at all. If it grazed him at all he completely eliminated any damage it could have with his movement.

You see, this is what I'm talking about. He has surprising defensive movement and agility considering what people say about him.

When you're as strong a grappler/wrestler as him all you need is the ability to avoid damage on the feet and implement your gameplan.

Nope. Right in the kisser.
kisser.jpg

I'm not counting Conor out.

He definitely has a chance, but I didn't count Barboza out either. I wasn't particularly worried about either of them though because styles make fights and strikers are tailor made to be fed to Khabib.

TBH, I was sweating buckets when they announced Raging Al was a late replacement for Tony because he has legit TDD and KO power. Not as good a fighter as Conor but a pretty bad matchup for Khabib.

I actually dropped $150 on Al before the fight and obviously lost the bet, but it was a great bet to take and I would have won a shitload of money because oddsmakers and the betting public are stupid and didn't realize how goods Al's chances actually were with his TDD and striking posing a stylistic dilemma for Khabib.
Barboza can't fight going backwards, his kick heavy style needs space too. Conor can fight backwards, can lead or counter and can fight in the pocket. So while Barboza and Conor are both strikers they're not similar at all, Barboza is tailor-made for Khabib to run through. I wouldn't have put money on Iaquinta, while he does have TDD and KO power like you're saying, he moves in a very conventional way and is primarily a wrestle/boxer with a big right hand, that's not very hard to game plan for at all.

Let us know when you get off his dick.

Saying that Khabib’s striking defense is good is like saying Conor’s wrestling is elite.

Nope. Right in the kisser.
View attachment 423203
It still looks like he grazed him at best even in the pic.

And the stumble backwards came from his momentum to avoid it.

Who was the opponent? I want to watch the fight to see his reaction afterwards to determine if he was in any way hurt, which I seriously doubt.

Let us know when you get off his dick.

Saying that Khabib’s striking defense is good is like saying Conor’s wrestling is elite.
You don't go 26 fights without getting dropped without having good striking defense.

I’m with you except that Iaquinta did better because he’s well rounded.

I rewatched khabibs fights with Johnson, Barboza, and Iaquinta. Khabib clearly fought al very differently.

Against Johnson he came out relaxed, trades strikes. He got tagged and immediately stopped fucking around and took Johnson down and raped him. He took no more chances with MJ after getting stunned,

Against Barboza, he took no chances period. He closed the distance in about 3 seconds. It was a smothering performance with insane urgency, he must have clearly felt he was in danger on the feet because even though edson stuffed takedowns, he would go right back in again, and again, and again, and again.

Against Al he started relaxed, fucked him up
On the ground a bit and then I think he must have felt that he could strike with al just fine so he showed no urgency. He would go for a half assed ankle pick, then jab for 4 mins before shooting again.

Before the fifth, his coach said al was going to try something crazy to win. He stopped fucking around and fucked him up again on the ground. Full commitment shot = easy takedown.

They were not the same Khabib. He fought horcher like he fought al too.

The reason Khabib fought like that in the fourth, no matter what his coach, or anyone says, is because he felt like he needed to take a round off, or he might gas.

The reason Khabib fought like that in the fourth, no matter what his coach, or anyone says, is because he felt like he needed to take a round off, or he might gas.
I agree with this, and the reason for this is taking down a guy as strong with as good tdd as Iaquinta gasses the shit out you.

Keep in mind Al stuffed Kevin Lee 7/8 times and Khabib took Al down 6 times.

Stats don't lie.

How can you say a guy who has never been rocked/hurt or stopped in 26 fights does not have great striking defense?

This is not to say that he's some defensive boxing genius like Mayweather doing a philly shell, but Khabib is a fighter that has always been able to avoid damage and implement his gameplan.
Doesn’t make his striking defense great though.. means his ability to avoid striking is great. Nothing in striking department should be labeled great.

I just don’t think avoiding striking by having great takedowns should be labeled as striking defense. Maybe our definition are different.

Back