can i make a shoutout to how good a fighter Povetkin is

MoreKane

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
he's such an elite fighter, he's been virtually a top contender for a decade now, and he still has it. Of course he is slowing down but he has one of the all time great left hooks

unfortunately he wasn't big enough for the super heavies to be a dominant champion... He was unfortunately in Wlad's era and then you had the rise of the giants of Fury, Joshua and Wilder. He was outboxing Joshua before he got knocked out

it would be crazy if he Knocks out Whyte again but wouldn't be suprised. Povetkin is that dude

think about it, he only lost to the 2 best at the time... Wlad and Joshua

he's such an elite fighter, he's been virtually a top contender for a decade now, and he still has it. Of course he is slowing down but he has one of the all time great left hooks

unfortunately he wasn't big enough for the super heavies to be a dominant champion... He was unfortunately in Wlad's era and then you had the rise of the giants of Fury, Joshua and Wilder. He was outboxing Joshua before he got knocked out

it would be crazy if he Knocks out Whyte again but wouldn't be suprised. Povetkin is that dude

Yes very unfortunate.
Its unfortunate he was scheduled to fight Wilder for a belt in his backyard then was busted for performance enhancing drugs and got the fight canceled.
Good news is if he gets by Whyte again he will probably have a shot at the Interim Championship belt and Wilder again.
Whyte was dominating the fight up until the knockout so I dont know if its safe or smart to look past the rematch. But props to him for the rematch. Its a good scrap.

I agree! People seem to discount size/length as an advantage, but it is fckin huge advantage!

he wasnt outboxing Joshua at all, although Povetkin is a very good fighter

If he wasn’t big enough that’s his fault, he was already taking all the steroids, could’ve at least been putting on mass

anyone saying that is a clueless muppet
Not a Loma hater, but we have weight limits, not:

Size limits
Reach limits
Height limits
Etc

Loma didnt get tricked into 135, he had 3 goddamn belts he snatched off titlists in strong fashion. He was established at 135. Both fighters made weight, and Loma came up short. Of course size matters, but not the way Loma Lovers are trying to spin it. They're mad the better physical specimen won, dont get it mixed up. Welcome to boxing
Better yet, welcome to combat sports altogether...
Actually, welcome to sports in general.

:cool:

Floyd Mayweather on the Loma size excuse

Loma never made any size excuse, at least not that I've heard. And Lopez himself has said many times over the last two years that he was just too small and too old to be fighting up in weight. This quote is from just last month. I myself said it was a real possibility that Lopez could very well be too big and too strong prior to the fight, though I picked Loma for the win.
“He’s on the way out of the sport and 135 [pounds] is just too big [for him],” the Honduran-American said.
Video: Teofimo Lopez says Lomachenko is too old, too small

Loma never made any size excuse, at least not that I've heard. And Lopez himself has said many times over the last two years that he was just too small and too old to be fighting up in weight. This quote is from just last month. I myself said it was a real possibility that Lopez could very well just be too big and too strong prior to the fight, though I picked Loma for the win.

Video: Teofimo Lopez says Lomachenko is too old, too small
Oh im not talking about Loma making excuses.
I'm referencing the people who claimed Loma wasn't just the best lightweight in the world but p4p king. The posters who boldly predicted a Loma win and now can't simply concede that he lost to the better fighter at this time.
100% agree with Floyd on this. Not only that myself and many others have explained and posted justification that Lopez won with way more than just size. Thats boxing and thats what greats do. Look at size differences and build discrepancies between Hagler, Hearns, Duran, and SRL. Yet we still compare them to this day.
Again it was not just size that won a majority of those rounds. It wasn't size that made Loma miss the shots that he whiffed on early. It wasn't size that got Loma caught with some counters. Size isn't speed and Lopez was just as fast early on. Size isn't always power too. Lopez has big power for any weight class he would competitively fight in.
I dont think you can say somebody got outboxed if they won a unanimous decision on the cards with no 10-8 round and no knockdowns. Barring a legit robbery, which rarely happens despite what people say.

Last edited:
Oh im not talking about Loma making excuses.
I'm referencing the people who claimed Loma wasn't just the best lightweight in the world but p4p king. The posters who boldly predicted a Loma win and now can't simply concede that he lost to the better fighter at this time.
100% agree with Floyd on this. Not only that myself and many others have explained and posted justification that Lopez won with way more than just size. Thats boxing and thats what greats do. Look at size differences and build discrepancies between Hagler, Hearns, Duran, and SRL. Yet we still compare them to this day.
Again it was not just size that won a majority of those rounds. It wasn't size that made Loma miss the shots that he whiffed on early. It wasn't size that got Loma caught with some counters. Size isn't speed and Lopez was just as fast early on. Size isn't always power too. Lopez has big power for any weight class he would competitively fight in.
I dont think you can say somebody got outboxed if they won a unanimous decision on the cards with no 10-8 round and no knockdowns. Barring a legit robbery, which rarely happens despite what people say.
Yeah, but not all greats even moved up in weight and those that did weren't necessarily as effective as they were when competing in their more natural weight range. That and it's not the only metric that should be used to appraise a fighter's quality. Loma had said that Lightweight isn't his optimal (natural) weight class but that's a given because he's the smallest top fighter in the division. That doesn't mean he wasn't still the consensus #1 Lightweight in the world because he was as well as a Top 3 P4Per. As for Duran, Hagler, SRL, Hearns, they all hit harder than Loma punch-for-punch which helped them a lot in dealing with size disparity. Some styles & attributes allow for moving up higher than others and allow staying there and on top longer. Loma's style is also less effective moving up and doesn't age as well.

There was certainly more to it than just size but size & power were key factors and it showed for the first half of the fight and in the last round when he managed to outgun Loma in a shoot out. Lopez was big enough and strong enough to absorb hard sharp counters without getting floored (though he nearly was on one occasion). And Loma knew better than to test getting hit flush when he was still fresh because not only is he a really explosive puncher he's much naturally bigger. Punchers in your own weight class are dangerous enough but give them an additional size advantage and it becomes extremely dangerous. Ward vs Kovalev 1 is a recent example of that which comes to mind after watching Lomachenko vs Lopez. Kovalev benefitted from the threat of his power and his physical advantages to box on at least even terms with Ward. I think we have different definitions of what "outboxed" means though but at least I know what yours is now.

Yeah, but not all greats even moved up in weight and those that did weren't necessarily as effective as they were when competing in their more natural weight range. That and it's not the only metric that should be used to appraise a fighter's quality. Loma had said that Lightweight isn't his optimal (natural) weight class but that's a given because he's the smallest top fighter in the division. That doesn't mean he wasn't still the consensus #1 Lightweight in the world because he was as well as a Top 3 P4Per. As for Duran, Hagler, SRL, Hearns, they all hit harder than Loma punch-for-punch which helped them a lot in dealing with size disparity. Some styles & attributes allow for moving up higher than others and allow staying there and on top longer. Loma's style is also less effective moving up and doesn't age as well.

There was certainly more to it than just size but size & power were key factors and it showed for the first half of the fight and in the last round when he managed to outgun Loma in a shoot out. Lopez was big enough and strong enough to absorb hard sharp counters without getting floored (though he nearly was on one occasion). And Loma knew better than to test getting hit flush when he was still fresh because not only is he a really explosive puncher he's much naturally bigger. Punchers in your own weight class are dangerous enough but give them an additional size advantage and it becomes extremely dangerous. Ward vs Kovalev 1 is a recent example of that which comes to mind after watching Lomachenko vs Lopez. Kovalev benefitted from the threat of his power and his physical advantages to box on at least even terms with Ward. I think we have different definitions of what "outboxed" means though but at least I know what yours is now.
Disagree. Size was not THE key factor. Loma wasn't really bullied especially since Lopez beat him everywhere at everything in the beginning.
Lopez is as skilled as Loma if not more besides having better physical attributes for the weightclass.

Disagree. Size was not THE key factor. Loma wasn't really bullied especially since Lopez beat him everywhere at everything in the beginning.
Lopez is as skilled as Loma if not more besides having better physical attributes for the weightclass.
I didn't say size was the key factor but it was absolutely a key factor along with his power. Loma was muscled around at times, shoved around, bumped with the shoulder later and hit off the bump. That's fighting like the bigger man and imposing your size. The cleanest shots in the fight clearly came from Loma though, he made the adjustment in the second half, and Lopez was hurt multiple times to the head and body. Lopez did force him to overly respect his power and for far too long and the inactivity it led to probably cost Loma the fight. But, there were lots of shots that appeared to land on Loma that didn't. That's down to Loma's body language and dipping/fading out of range in that fashion (to defend against the straight right leads to the body for example). That looks weak because he wasn't holding his ground for more than half the fight. Lopez was the one coming forward and the aggressor, Loma was the one backing up and moving away.

I didn't say size was the key factor but it was absolutely a key factor along with his power. Loma was muscled around at times, shoved around, bumped with the shoulder later and hit off the bump. That's fighting like the bigger man and imposing your size. The cleanest shots in the fight clearly came from Loma though, he made the adjustment in the second half, and Lopez was hurt multiple times to the head and body. Lopez did force him to overly respect his power and for far too long and the inactivity it led to probably cost Loma the fight. But, there were lots of shots that appeared to land on Loma that didn't. That's down to Loma's body language and dipping/fading out of range in that fashion (to defend against the straight right leads to the body for example). That looks weak because he wasn't holding his ground for more than half the fight. Lopez was the one coming forward and the aggressor, Loma was the one backing up and moving away.
Its not as big of a factor as the people who picked him are making it out to be IMO.
You guys knew he was bigger pre fight...Yet still picked Loma. That tells you how much size had to do with it upfront.
Size and power are not synonyms. Size and durability are not synonyms. They are all separate attributes and need to be separated and acknowledged.
It was not like Lopez was walking Loma into the ropes and holding him there. Its not like Loma was T'ing off on Lopez and Lopez was just walking through it. Those things didn't happen. Its not like Lopez had no power against other larger lightweights then boom when he gets in with a smaller lightweight now his power is more pronounced.
Lopez was as fast hand speed wise , matched lomas movement and then some, outworked him, outsmarted him, and made the better adjustments a majority of the fight. It's silly to breakdown size even further when 2 dudes are COMFORTABLE and champs at a weight class. At that point the better fighter just wins and finds the attributes they have to counter the attributes the other guy has. Otherwise it sounds like spilled milk.

Its not as big of a factor as the people who picked him are making it out to be IMO.
You guys knew he was bigger pre fight...Yet still picked Loma. That tells you how much size had to do with it upfront.
Size and power are not synonyms. Size and durability are not synonyms. They are all separate attributes and need to be separated and acknowledged.
It was not like Lopez was walking Loma into the ropes and holding him there. Its not like Loma was T'ing off on Lopez and Lopez was just walking through it. Those things didn't happen. Its not like Lopez had no power against other larger lightweights then boom when he gets in with a smaller lightweight now his power is more pronounced.
Lopez was as fast hand speed wise , matched lomas movement and then some, outworked him, outsmarted him, and made the better adjustments a majority of the fight. It's silly to breakdown size even further when 2 dudes are COMFORTABLE and champs at a weight class. At that point the better fighter just wins and finds the attributes they have to counter the attributes the other guy has. Otherwise it sounds like spilled milk.
The size disparity was known pre-fight but seeing its effects in the ring is a different story. Lopez said it himself, the guy is just too small and too old. That's not some lame excuse Loma fans are making, it came right from the horse's mouth before we even got the fight. What adjustments did you see Lopez make in there that are significant? I'll tell you the ones he couldn't make that cost him the majority of the second half of the fight. He wasn't tired at the start of the second half which is conveniently when Loma came on strong. That's a false narrative altogether. He was being drained from the straight lefts to the body because he was getting broken down by Loma in a hurry as he was trying to play catch up.

Exactly! It's like damn, try and imagine skill and boxing ability isnt just measured one way. Loma looks hella skilled and diverse because he seems to have hair trigger muscle memory that has him responding so quickly to every move an opponent makes, it looks incredible when the other guy cant answer it. He's doing so much, he must have religiously studied and practiced every aspect in the textbook. But, try and imagine another fighter just possessed a better IQ for the game, grasped the truly needed skills better, not that hard to imagine the unique way all the boxers in the world form their craft, Loma's was pretty versatile and unique. In this case, it was not that puzzling to other guy. Lopez seeming less skillful or the lesser boxer in defeat must be an aesthetics thing, like Loma fights have always had a dynamic unique to his style's success, and it was eye catching but also created this idea of "artistry" or "genius" in the game "never seen" before to Joe Rogan. He didnt look all that Loma-like to me in this fight, not even rounds he won. He seemed like he might have some dog in him, he showed that in the rounds he did win, but he looked to be daring more danger because he knew he was far down on cards and probably needed KO. Maybe Loma the dog could have won this fight, doubtful, but the boxer definitely couldnt.

Back