Can I incorporate strength routine with bodybuilding?

"Train like a Bodybuilder. Whenever I say that, people cringe and run for cover. But what do Bodybuilders train for? Not strength or size but balance. So if you train your pecs, train your back as well. If you train strength make sure you train your conditioning too. And if you train explosive movements, better spend time working on your flexibility."
- Jim Wendler.

Strength and hypertrophy are not mutually exclusive. It is entirely possible to have your cake and eat it. Stan Efferding and Ronnie"Light Weights!"Coleman have proved this at the highest level.

Your fond of that quote but still, BB's WASTE alot of gym time isolating to 5 different days, iso exercises etc. etc. Their knowledge and drive are commendable but they are not MMA athletes (which, despite everyones lack of apparent training is what we are supposedly here to improve) and their programs are inherently incapatable with a balanced SC program that complements MMA work.

Sure do some hytrophy as part of your SC program, but it seems you are really just using "bodybuilding" as a term to describe exercises designed for aesthetics and not functional strength. but dont get fooled for a second into thinking that your not sacrificing possible strength gains by spending some of your time in a pursuit of beach muscles.

What are you're stats? Have you tried madcows advance 5x5? It seems unlikely that your squat and deadlift have stalled but your bench is improving.

Your fond of that quote but still, BB's WASTE alot of gym time isolating to 5 different days, iso exercises etc. etc.

I don't think so. IFBB pro bbers who juice might have more isolation exercises than others, but real BBers train similar to powerlifters through progressive resistance. I think you need to find real bodybuilders, not idiots in the gym or skinny 15 year olds. Shelby Sharnes is a good one.

Clearly you can't incorporate strength into bodybuilding. I mean, who wants to put orange glo all over a useful muscle when you can just put it on the fluff?

I don't think so. IFBB pro bbers who juice might have more isolation exercises than others, but real BBers train similar to powerlifters through progressive resistance. I think you need to find real bodybuilders, not idiots in the gym or skinny 15 year olds. Shelby Sharnes is a good one.

Nope. I am not. I know plenty of "real" bodybuilders. I lifted like one for 4 fucking years, I met plenty and have read quite a bit on their routines and splits. I think you are confusing getting strong on accident to getting stronger on purpose.

They don't lift like powerlifters, but intelligent bodybuilders still use compounds in their training. But again, they generally go too high of volume on a lot of exercises.

Regardless, a muscle can only get so big without increasing strength, and strength can only go so far without increasing muscle size. So true natural bodybuilders, who are jacked, need to be strong as fuck and that doesn't happen from 10x10 of cable cross-overs.

Your fond of that quote but still, BB's WASTE alot of gym time isolating to 5 different days, iso exercises etc. etc. Their knowledge and drive are commendable but they are not MMA athletes (which, despite everyones lack of apparent training is what we are supposedly here to improve) and their programs are inherently incapatable with a balanced SC program that complements MMA work.

Sure do some hytrophy as part of your SC program, but it seems you are really just using "bodybuilding" as a term to describe exercises designed for aesthetics and not functional strength. but dont get fooled for a second into thinking that your not sacrificing possible strength gains by spending some of your time in a pursuit of beach muscles.

I'm not suggesting that we train 10 set of 12 reps on the Nautilus Bicep Curl. But I like the idea of using higher reps for hypertrophy on assistance exercises after the main work has been done on a Big 3 Lift.

Wendler, DeFranco etc have proved that it does'nt have to be one extreme or the other. You can mix both higher reps for hypertrophy and lower reps for strength and power.

Using people who are riddled with holes from steriod use, is never a good representation of the general population or all natural lifters.

Although a natural bodybuilder will need to be strong as fuck to reach their genetic potential or at least make some serious progress, and a powerlifter will eventually need hypertrophy to continue progression.

I believe comparing an elite level Bodybuilder with an elite Powerlifter is a valid one in terms of strength, since they will both be juiced up to the eyeballs.

What are you're stats? Have you tried madcows advance 5x5? It seems unlikely that your squat and deadlift have stalled but your bench is improving.

I've done madcow and it just seems like I'm going back and forth to square one where I deload, work my way up and continue to stall in the same area.

My best records on the Madcow are:

Squat: 275 x 5
Deadlift: 410 X 5
Bench: 240 X 5

But I never made any significant progress on those lifts past those numbers. I want to gain strength, but I don't want to be good at just lifting a weight for 1 rep. I want some balance where there is both muscle and strength increase. The 5X5 was perfect but I keep stalling on it.

Strength and hypertrophy are not mutually exclusive. It is entirely possible to have your cake and eat it. Stan Efferding and Ronnie"Light Weights!"Coleman have proved this at the highest level.

Using people who are riddled with holes from steroid use, is never a good representation of the general population or all natural lifters.

That was my response to that part of your post. I'm not quite sure I'm following you. So either you misinterpreted my post or I misinterpreted your post.

My point is that both hypertrophy and strength are necessary to be elite. Using steroid users as an example of this is a poor decision. Steroid users can do the dumbest fucking things and still build insane amounts of muscle.

Maybe I am confusing general bodybuilders to those that know what they are doing. There is powerbuilding, which is building muscle through strength increases. These bodybuilders follow training like the basics of DogCrap, but not DC. The top IFBB pros and top natural bbers I'd imagine are very strong. You can't be heavily muscled at 220lb without being strong.

Back