Can I get stronger doing just Deadlifts and Squats?

It's from a few outdated studies that show hormonal response peaks at around 45-60 min and declines after that. It's also why many weightlifting programs limit sessions to 45-60 minutes but spread work throughout multiple sessions. I think now most people consider this to be a bunch of BS since the studies have too many externalities to really be meaningful and the actual level of hormonal response is insignificant compared to the benefits of having well structured overall programming.

Didn't know this was outdated, i guess i read it on some site with otherwise sound advice and just swallowed it all :redface:

Oneproblem with your approach is that a workout should really be more than 45 minutes long for maximum hormonal response (which you want). It shouldn't be much longer than that, either - 45-60 minutes is perfect. But just doing deads and squats 5 * 5 will probably be over quicker than 45 mins. I agree with a previous poster - get a bench as well. If you bench, squat and deadlift 5 * 5 two to three times a week you will become a lot stronger.

Ha I do the FAQ version of the 5x5 and my workouts usually take between 1 1/2-2 hours and when I first read this I figured it was mostly nonsense but i still experienced 2 thought processes. One from a very slight scientific approach where I thought ok when you start your hormones are "ramping" up to that peak at 45 minutes so for another 45 minutes they're going to be "ramping" back down to where they started so hormone levels from start-45 min. and then from 45 min.-finish will be roughly the same so why stop when there peaked? The 2nd was from a purely non-scientific almost assholian approach where I thought if the work gets done honestly wgaf if you were "peaked" or not your still going to get better.

But on the original topic as most have said yes you will get stronger but some sort of 2-day split with some sort of upper body work would probably be best and time shouldn't be much of a limiting factor because I'm sure you could find an extra 1-1 1/2 hours twice a week for strength training.

Not to be contrarian, but if I could only do one exercise a few sets a week (for some odd reason) I would go with deadlifts.

Not to be contrarian, but if I could only do one exercise a few sets a week (for some odd reason) I would go with deadlifts.

It would be a very close argument which would have many points for each side, and neither would have enough isolated scientific evidence to prove one or the other much more worthy.

I would do power cleans or clean and jerk (or clean and push press). The clean and jerk works all the movements from squat, deadlift and press. It's awesome, only problem being the technique involved, but it's easier just to do the push press instead of jerk.

It would be a very close argument which would have many points for each side, and neither would have enough isolated scientific evidence to prove one or the other much more worthy.

Don't get me wrong, the squat is my best and favorite lift. Deadlift, however, especially for a grappler, works more of the muscles involved. For example, grip.

Thanks for all the advice, been scouting the starting strength wiki some more and 2nd addition has been ordered. I hope powercleans are explained well, didn't find many online articles about them greatly helpful. I'm going to go for:

Day 1
Squats, Press, Cleans

Day 2
Deadlift, Squats, Rows.

Feel free to shamelessly rip and destroy this, all knowledge is welcome. Doing both Squats and Deadlifts so no need to argue about which is better.

Thanks for all the advice, been scouting the starting strength wiki some more and 2nd addition has been ordered. I hope powercleans are explained well, didn't find many online articles about them greatly helpful. I'm going to go for:

Day 1
Squats, Press, Cleans

Day 2
Deadlift, Squats, Rows.

Feel free to shamelessly rip and destroy this, all knowledge is welcome. Doing both Squats and Deadlifts so no need to argue about which is better.

Do squats before deadlift on day 2.

Source?

EDIT: Who says it should be "more than 45 minutes long for maximum hormonal response"? And why do you want this?? And why shouldn't it "be much longer than that, either - 45-60 minutes is perfect"???

And let's suppose for a moment that you take long breaks... What if, "just doing deads and squats 5 * 5" is actually between 45-60 mins? ...and what if it is more than 60 mins??

I agree. Lots of big lifters train slowly. Look at Paul Anderson, that dude trained slowly all day. He lifted and drank lots of milk... sounds familiar.... :)

It will be for sure. I'll switch places rows and press. Is it standing press?

Back