Can I get stronger doing just Deadlifts and Squats?

AKJ

White Belt
Reaction score
Basically, I'm training MMA, Muay Thai and BJJ most days of the week. Structure this around work and I am left with little time. I'm a complete beginner in strength training and Starting strength is kinda out of the question because I can't just do that, and squating 3 times a week with what I do already might kill me.

HOWEVER, I am willing to invest in a cheap squat rack, bar etc. so my question is, can I make significant strength gains, that will improve performance by just squating and dealifting heavy 2 times a week?

Yes you can.

There are many more exercises you can do with a bar and a squat rack and I can't see a reason why you would limit yourself to only squats and deadlifts though.

The short answer is yes. Have you by chance read Starting Strength?

Yeah definitely. Not sure if its the best way to do so but its definitely better than most. There are other exercises though. What about overhead work, bench, clean, jerk, etc.

If you have a squat rack, might as well throw in overhead presses / pushpresses / jerks.

Unless youre a professional fighter or have upcoming fights i think you should tone down the martial arts training so that you can do adequate strength training. Nobody wants to admit it, but strength is one of the most important factors in any fight. A good workout you could do as a two day split or ABA BAB 3 times a week is:

Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Squat 3x5
Push-ups(weighted with a backpack full of items/weights if theyre easy)
Bent over Row 3x5

Definitely buy and read Starting Strength.

Unless youre a professional fighter or have upcoming fights i think you should tone down the martial arts training so that you can do adequate strength training. Nobody wants to admit it, but strength is one of the most important factors in any fight. A good workout you could do as a two day split or ABA BAB 3 times a week is:

Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Squat 3x5
Push-ups(weighted with a backpack full of items/weights if theyre easy)

Bent over Row 3x5

Definitely buy and read Starting Strength.

Or just press in both or press and then do dips.

Oneproblem with your approach is that a workout should really be more than 45 minutes long for maximum hormonal response (which you want). It shouldn't be much longer than that, either - 45-60 minutes is perfect. But just doing deads and squats 5 * 5 will probably be over quicker than 45 mins. I agree with a previous poster - get a bench as well. If you bench, squat and deadlift 5 * 5 two to three times a week you will become a lot stronger.

Oneproblem with your approach is that a workout should really be more than 45 minutes long for maximum hormonal response (which you want). It shouldn't be much longer than that, either - 45-60 minutes is perfect. But just doing deads and squats 5 * 5 will probably be over quicker than 45 mins. I agree with a previous poster - get a bench as well. If you bench, squat and deadlift 5 * 5 two to three times a week you will become a lot stronger.

Source?

EDIT: Who says it should be "more than 45 minutes long for maximum hormonal response"? And why do you want this?? And why shouldn't it "be much longer than that, either - 45-60 minutes is perfect"???

And let's suppose for a moment that you take long breaks... What if, "just doing deads and squats 5 * 5" is actually between 45-60 mins? ...and what if it is more than 60 mins??

Last edited:
Source?

EDIT: Who says it should be "more than 45 minutes long for maximum hormonal response"? And why do you want this?? And why shouldn't it "be much longer than that, either - 45-60 minutes is perfect"???

And let's suppose for a moment that you take long breaks... What if, "just doing deads and squats 5 * 5" is actually between 45-60 mins? ...and what if it is more than 60 mins??

It's from a few outdated studies that show hormonal response peaks at around 45-60 min and declines after that. It's also why many weightlifting programs limit sessions to 45-60 minutes but spread work throughout multiple sessions. I think now most people consider this to be a bunch of BS since the studies have too many externalities to really be meaningful and the actual level of hormonal response is insignificant compared to the benefits of having well structured overall programming.

It's from a few outdated studies that show hormonal response peaks at around 45-60 min and declines after that. It's also why many weightlifting programs limit sessions to 45-60 minutes but spread work throughout multiple sessions. I think now most people consider this to be a bunch of BS since the studies have too many externalities to really be meaningful and the actual level of hormonal response is insignificant compared to the benefits of having well structured overall programming.

When does the clock start ticking on this window out of interest? Surely it can't be as soon as you bowl through the gym doors... Is it then your first warm up set, your first work set, your first set above 90% etc.

I think if you are limited for time, pressing/push pressing, alternating front squat and deadlift and throwing in a couple of sets of chins once a week would be fine. (of course trying to increase weights or reps each week)

I disagree that you should "tone down" skills training to accomodate greater strength training if you want to become a better fighter. Either increase your work capacity so you can keep up this level/frequency of skill training and do a decent 2 day strength training split (by slowly increasing your volume/frequency of strength training) or just do a once a week, very abbreviated strength training routine, I still think you would make decent gains.

Do two heavy days a week (or even one):

Day 1
squats
bench

Day 2
deadlift
overhead press

Do two heavy days a week (or even one):

Day 1
squats
bench

Day 2
deadlift
overhead press

Back work?

I think this is good but the OP should at least do sets of chins between pressing/benching sets...

When does the clock start ticking on this window out of interest?

My clock starts ticking 9 seconds after I take my GNC preworkout ultra, efficient, caffeinated stack of NANOX9, Nitrix, NO Xplode, and AIDS.

I lift once every 1-2 weeks and the numbers usually go up each time, but that's noob gains for you.

Ive made tremendous gains with the following:

Squats
Deadlift
Bench Press
Military Press
Pullbacks/Rows

3 sets of each, twice a week. Reps go from 10 on day 1, 8 on day 2, 6 on day 3, 4 on day 4, and 2 on day 5. Then I start over at 10 reps again.

Back