Can I get strong training at 24 hour fitness?

RJ43

The Baddy
@Gold
Reaction score
I'm about to find out.

6'1

Goals: General overall strength increases and a program conducive to BJJ training in 3 months.

10-4-10 Workout 1

SQUAT

Only two racks in the gym and no one is on them. Shocking.

Warm up
45lbs/ 5 reps / 2 sets
95lbs / 5 reps / 1 set
135lbs/ 5 reps / 1 set
185lbs/ 5 reps/ 1 set (set a little harder than anticipated)

Work sets
225/ 5 reps/ 3 sets (possibly too heavy. did a few reps on my toes)

*Notes - My depth was good for all sets. I'm not ATG but I've definitely got my hips below my patella and I'm getting a nice rebound on my warm up sets. My work sets were putting me on my toes a little too much. I may have to drop the weight if I can't fix that.

Flat Barbell Bench

The time I saved getting right on a squat rack was wasted and then some by my long wait to get on a flat bench. Monday must be chest day in 24 land.

Warm ups
45lbs/ 5 reps / 2 sets
95 / 5/ 1
135 / 5 / 1
155 / 5 / 1

Work Sets
175/ 5 / 3

Notes: Form was great on all sets. I expect to increase weight rapidly on the bench. Paying close attention to maintaining an approximate 45 degree angle with my elbows eliminated a lot of the shoulder pain I used to have by incorrect form.

Deadlift

No one got on either squat rick since I left. Score!

Warm ups
135 / 5 / 2
185 / 5 / 1
225 / 5 / 1

Work Sets
245/ 5 / 3

Notes: Felt OK. Still trying to perfect my form. My knees always get all bow-legged so I had to be mindful to keep them out. Overall not too bad and hope to improve form.

Next work out is Wednesday (today). I'm scheduled to Squat (I'm so damn sore), overhead press and power clean.

You live in San Francisco? You could look into training at ReActive Gym in Pleasanton. It's the gym that Harry Selkow trains people out of. I hear they even have a monolift.

you can get strong with just a sledgehammer and a tire look as ross enamit that dude is a monster

depends what you want to do

if its for show then gym muscle is fine

possibly consider adding in some kind of functional muscle training

i spent a winter in the gym a few years back while at university
put on approx 30lbs of muscle...
whey protein helped

but when it came to summer and i looked to play tennis and golf again, i found that whilst a lot of show gym muscles were bigger and obviously strength was increased, i was stiff as hell when playing sport and after helping a couple of mates who were builders and a capet fitter

the strength was there
but i must of missed something as i didnt used to ache like that

guess it could be getting older, but would definitely keep up the bjj classes and not swap it completely for gym work

other problem i found was within 2 years gym of stopping regular training, gym muscle is gone and im back to the size i used to be, which is fine... not overly bothered also strength is back down to the old levels

not quite as stiff after golf, but am playing more regularly...

GL

ps if spending lots of time in the gym, it helped me a lot to have a mate to go with
kind of drag each other there, spot each other etc
far easier than trying to drag your lazy ass off the couch to go lift for an hour or so

You live in San Francisco? You could look into training at ReActive Gym in Pleasanton. It's the gym that Harry Selkow trains people out of. I hear they even have a monolift.

That's funny, I'm actually looking to move to Pleasanton this summer possibly. I'll check it out.

10-6-2010 Work Out 2

Notes: Very sore in my lower body, but a good warm up took care of most of it.

SQUAT

Again, no one on the squat rack. Score.

Warm up
45lbs/ 5 reps / 2 sets
95lbs / 5 reps / 1 set
135lbs/ 5 reps / 1 set
185lbs/ 5 reps/ 1 set

Work sets
225/ 5 reps/ 3 sets

*Notes - My work sets felt better today. I'm still on my toes for a few reps but it was definitely improvement. I definitely won't have to drop weight and hope to add a few lbs possibly next workout or on Monday.

Overhead Press

45 / 5 / 2
65 / 5 / 1
85 / 5 / 1

Work Sets
105 / 5 / 3

Notes: I spent most of my time working on my form here. It's not natural for me to protract my should blades, but I started to get it at the end. I should be able to fine tune that aspect soon.

I'm a little worried that the bar's path is not a straight line. I think I'm arcing it a little bit. I need to drill leaning back a tad to clear the face and then getting the underneath it without arcing the bar.

**Went to get a drink and give someone else the chance to jump on the squat rack and man that was a big mistake. I spent the next 30 minutes waiting for another opening. I hate 24 so bad.

Power Cleans

45/ 5 / 2
95 / 5/ 1
105/ 5 / 1

Work Sets
115 / 5 / 3

Notes: Trying to really perfect this lift is difficult. I'm not touching my thighs on the way up but I'm close. I don't know if I'm getting the proper power from the floor but I think the rest is OK. Practice.

Can I get strong training at 24 hour fitness?

I hope so, that's where i train. Just ignore all the curl monkeys and people telling you how squatting below parallel is bad for your knees.

Does your gym also have those crappy hexagonal plates?

Which 24 do you work out at?

I bounce around between a few but spend most of my time at the one on Protrero Hill. Sometimes I hit up Van Ness, too.

They're just so over crowded it's hard to get everything done.

I hope so, that's where i train. Just ignore all the curl monkeys and people telling you how squatting below parallel is bad for your knees.

Does your gym also have those crappy hexagonal plates?

yeah and they're a bitch because I can never get the bar straight enough when it's on the ground. Not a fan of them at all.

Friday - Workout 3

SQUAT

Warm up
45lbs/ 5 reps / 2 sets
95lbs / 5 reps / 1 set
135lbs/ 5 reps / 1 set
185lbs/ 5 reps/ 1 set

Work sets
235/ 5 reps/ 3 sets

*Notes - My form felt OK. I think my only problem is I'm still on my toes a little on the last reps of my work sets. Felt a little knee discomfort but it went away during the work sets. 235 is probably my 5 rep max for right now, but I think I'm close to nailing the form once and for all.

Flat Barbell Bench

Warm ups
45lbs/ 5 reps / 2 sets
95 / 5/ 1
135 / 5 / 1
155 / 5 / 1

Work Sets
180/ 5 / 3

Notes: Form was OK. I expeced to add 5 more lbs than I did this week, but felt that 180 was it for today. Form was OK and I felt good about this particular exercise overall today.

Deadlift

Warm ups
135 / 5 / 2
185 / 5 / 1
225 / 5 / 1

Work Sets
255/ 5 / 3

Notes: Deads felt good today. I got through all of my warm up sets with two overhand grip. I switched to over/under for the work sets because I didn't want my concentration to be all on my grip and mess up form.

I think I fianally nailed near-perfect Deadlift form on my last set. Hopefully this revelation translates into a small increase in weight next week.

Overall: Very solid training day for me. I had a great sweat and was thoroughly faitigued when I left.

welcome to the logs

Work Out 4
10-11-2010

Notes: Pretty lousy weekend nutrition-wise. I had a huge lox bagel each morning and yesterday I went to the Niner game and drowned my sorrows with tons of junk food. I need to keep the diet clean through the weekends.

Despite the poor eating choices my energy levels were good today.

SQUAT

Warm up
45lbs/ 5 reps / 2 sets
95lbs / 5 reps / 1 set
135lbs/ 5 reps / 1 set
185lbs/ 5 reps/ 1 set

Work sets
235/ 5 reps/ 3 sets

*Notes - I felt some serious knee pain right from the first warm ups today on my left knee. Just below the patella on the outside wrapping around. I pushed through everything and I may have found the source of the problem, but it's a huge distraction. Despite that I felt I handled the work sets slightly better today than Friday. Still on my toes a little. I may have to incoroprate some core strengthening work to remedy that.

Overhead Press

45 / 5 / 2
65 / 5 / 1
85 / 5 / 1

Work Sets
115 / 5 / 3

Notes: OH presses felt good today. I think I'm getting a pretty straight line path with the bar. 115 was challenging so I will probably stick with it for my 2nd OH Press day on Friday.

Power Cleans

45/ 5 / 2
95 / 5/ 1
115/ 5 / 1

Work Sets
135 / 5 / 3

Notes: Still working on form here. I'm not quite sure what to make of this lift yet. I think I'm doing most of it right, but I'm still not touching my thighs on the way up. I'm pretty sure I'm doing well not using my arms for the pull up, but I need to see myself do these before I can be sure.

Really wish I had bumper plates for these so I can just drop them. OH well.

Final Notes: Overall a solid training day, but my knee pain is very worrisome. It hasn't gone away and hurts badly even after doing some deep BW squats just now. I plan on doing some core work tomorrow. Some bridges and probably a mile jog just to keep loose.

Post a form check! Sherdog'll get to the bottom of that knee pain! (also see a doc if its really bad)

Nice lifting!

I hate injuries!!

Squatting will be out of the question today. My knee feels fine as long as the angle between the femur and tibia is greater than about 40 degrees. As soon as it gets lower than that I get searing pain in what I believe to be my meniscus.

I tried some BW squats right now and the pain is pretty bad. Even doing the old quad stretch is unbearable at max stretch.

I don't think this will affect my dead lift today as the knee angle isn't as acute on that lift and I should be able to pull just fine, but squatting is a no go. I'll replace my normal squats with Bulgarian split squats. I think a unilateral movement would be ideal so I can really focus on working around the injury.

Work Out 5
10-13-10

Notes: Knee is a problem so I'm working around it. Doing deadlifts first followed by flat bench followed by body weight bulgarian squats.

DEADLIFT

Warm ups
135 / 5 / 2
185 / 5 / 1
225 / 5 / 1

Work Sets
265/ 5 / 1
275/ 5 / 3

Notes: Doing deadlifts first was a nice change of pace. I was able to pull 20lbs more than I did last time and I felt a lot stronger here. No knee pain at all, but I still had to be very careful with each rep.

Flat Barbell Bench

Warm ups
45lbs/ 5 reps / 1 sets
95 / 5/ 2
135 / 5 / 1

Work Sets
185/ 5 / 1
190/ 5 / 2

Notes: Felt great for each set. I think my form is near perfect here as I'm feeling it in all the right places. I felt much more powerful today and hope to keep adding weight in small steps every week.

Bulgarian Squats

BW / 5 / 10

Notes: My knee felt fine. I didn't want to push it today because these get very close to the angle that kills my knee. I'll either jump back to very light squats next week or weighted bulgarian squats until I can get back to squatting.

Overall notes: Good day all things conisdered. Made nice jumps in the Deadlift and Bench. I attribute most of this to my body just getting back to working out and reclaiming some of my old strength. I felt great after deads and bench press. Not squatting is really eating away at me though. I hope to be able to go back, even as soon as possible.

Work Out 6
10-15-10

Power Clean

Warm ups
45 / 5 / 2
65 / 5 / 1
115 / 5 / 1

Work Sets
135 / 5 / 4

Notes: Still struggling a little bit with the technique here. I think I'm using my arms too much. I should be able to nail this soon. Next week I'll spend more time trying to perfect the form before the work sets.

OH Press

Warm ups
45lbs/ 5 reps / 2 sets
65 / 5/ 1
85 / 5 / 1

Work Sets
115 / 5 / 2
120 / 5 / 2

Notes: OH Presses felt pretty good today. I was a little reckless bringing the bar down on the last two sets so I need to focus on controlling the entire rep. Overall it was a challenging set and I hope to do my entire work set with 120 lbs next week.

Bulgarian Squats

BW / 5 / 4

Notes: My knee felt fine. I didn't want to push it today because these get very close to the angle that kills my knee. I'll either jump back to very light squats next week or weighted bulgarian squats until I can get back to squatting.

Overall notes: Not my best day in the gym. I felt kind of flat and never really felt like I was nailing the clean or the OH press totally right. It's also frustrating being unable to squat right now. At least I added a bit of weight in the OH press.

Work Out 7
10-18-10

Notes: Another weekend of poor dieting. I really need to limit my junk intake of the weekends.

DEADLIFT

Warm ups
135 / 5 / 2
185 / 5 / 1
225 / 5 / 1

Work Sets
275/ 5 / 3

Notes: Lousy pulling today. I got stuck with a bar with virtually no knurling. My hands were sweating by the time I hit my work sets and it made holding onto the bar very difficult. I was distracted and my pulling form was poor; I found my hips shifting considerably to my right thanks to my curved spine. Usually I can be mindful of this, but today with the grip issue I was struggling to focus.

That said, 275 didn't feel all that heavy today. My lower back is already sore from the poor form, but I'm confident I can add some lbs next time with proper form if I have a decent bar.

Flat Barbell Bench

Warm ups
45lbs/ 5 reps / 2 sets
95 / 5/ 1
135 / 5 / 1

Work Sets
195/ 5 / 3

Notes: I felt really strong pressing today. My reps were controlled and it just felt really good. It's a relief to not have to constantly worry about proper form and just focus all of my attention on moving weight. I hope to do my work sets with 200 next workout on Friday.

Bulgarian Squats

BW / 5 / 10

Notes: My knee has been achy so I'm still bulgarian-ing it. I'm probably going to grab a hold of a pair of 25lb plates on wednesday because at BW they aren't very challenging and I think my knees can handle it.

Overall notes: Lousy pulling but good pressing. I did two sets of 5 with 95 lbs squatting today. I was experimenting with different form and felt very little knee pain. It's not as low as I was before, but may be a suitable substitution. I may try and introduce squats back into the workout on Friday, but if I feel any pain I'm done with them. I can't have this knee any worse than it is for BJJ in January.

Back