Can I do bodyweight excersises everyday?

Rockman14

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Running, pull ups, crunches and push ups?

Can these be done everyday and will I get stronger, look better muscle wise?

I know in the military for instance you do these things everyday (at least in boot camp) so I assume its ok?

I know that you shouldnt do weights everyday thats for sure.

You won't die, and if you're young I'd say you probably should be doing some kind of activity every day. If you're eating and sleeping right there's no reason not to get some kind of exercise in.

I can't say im an expert in bodyweight training but I do know a few things that may help you. Let me start by telling you that if you are looking to build muscle then bodyweight training probably isnt going to be the thing you want to do. There is a minority of people that are gifted with the genetics to do it but im going to guess you aren't one.

Im not saying you'll build no muscle at all, im just saying it wont be as much or as fast as training with barbells, dumbells etc. So if you can get acess to a gym or equipment, I would

In terms of strength I think it is about the same. You'll probably see big improvements in the first year or so if you've never trained before but they will taper off. Eventually just your bodyweight will not be suffecient to make strength gains.

So my advice would be to join a gym or purchase equipment. Now obviously thats not what you asked so. If you do continue with bodyweight training make sure you look for more challenging variartions once the basics are too easy. Also you should probably take a rest day or two. Growth and adaptions happen when your body is healing and it cannot do that if your damaging it by working out.

Since bodyweight exercises are relatively low intensity (compared to lifting weights) the issue is more the volume. e.g. you can probably quickly work your way up to running 5k everyday but you wouldn't want to run a full marathon everyday.

As far as strength, as David Davidson said you will see strength gains at first but eventually they will taper off as you are able to do higher and higher reps. Eventually it becomes endurance work, not strength work. You can get around this by using variations (e.g. push-ups from knees, regular push-ups, one-arm push-ups) but then you have to ask yourself if it's worth learning all the variations instead of just using weights.

What are your goals? If you just want to get healthier and look okay then bodyweight exercises combined with a healthy diet will probably do the trick. Just don't expect to look totally jacked or being incredibly strong.

Absolutely, just be sure to work up to everything.

Muscle wise, you're probably not going to get huge. You will probably lose some weight if you run 5 days a week and doing bodyweight exercises will help with muscle definition, so you look leaner.

Don't expect to get 18 inch arms or have Arnold's chest just by doing bodyweight exercises.

You can use every modality every day. The bigger question is at what intensity will you be working? How does your plan look?

Definitely. Once you hit a plateau I would add some resistance though. Pull-ups with a weight vest are awesome

Definitely. Once you hit a plateau I would add some resistance though. Pull-ups with a weight vest are awesome

yes and push up power pump i would not suggest putting on a vest and doing pushups

I'm of the mindset that if you're not sore you're not training hard enough.

Soreness means exceeding what you can handle, which leads to strength gains.

So if you're trying to get stronger you can't do the same volume every day, although I also believe in active recovery.

So what I do is hard day, followed by medium day and then a very light intensity day for whatever specific parts I'm working out, that's whether I'm doing weights, bands, bodyweight, whatever.

Back