Can I cut down on meat and maintain muscle?

CroSpartacus

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
I love eating meat, but I do feel very sluggish when I consume too much of it. I am wondering can a person wanting to maintain muscle mass lift well on a diet low on meat? I don't know if there is some type of gruel I can make that has the protein necessary.

Absolutely. There are a number of vegan athlete's in the UFC for starters, Aaron Simpson is one.

Yes, especially if you start eating more dairy. Non-fat greek yogurt and low fat cottage cheese are two staples of my snacking. Gonna need more of those as I spend the Christmas season at home with my mom's midwest cooking around.

Is it the protein or too much fat in the meat? You should first try to figure out exactly what is causing the problem

Of course. Milk products are a very good protein source for example.

I'm not sure supplementing a ton of dairy is the best option though. There are some negatives of dairy as well. Personally I like to have a relatively smaller portion of dairy, while increasing hemp protein, yellow pea protein (high protein high carbs as well), etc. Eat a ton of greens, they have a bit of protein but more importantly they are very alkaline forming and are generally good for renewing the body, this is good for recovery times.

what are your protein and calorie requirements? how much meat do you eat and how much would you like to cut back on?

Protein is the easiest thing to replace when removing meat from the diet. Protein is well understood. It is everything else in the meat that is harder to replace. For very little money and effort you can eat Ronnie Coleman's protein quota for the day. Its called whey protein shake

Try leaner meats, like Chicken/Turkey/Fish, beef and such will make you more groggy, but white meats should be ok.

I'm a vegetarian and I started making some strength gains at a good pace once I started working out right and eating more. I get protein from beans, peanuts/cashews, eggs, milk, and cheese, and whey protein.

Back