Can fighters apply for USADA arbitration without a decision?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Alpha_T83, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Brown Belt

I can't remember which forum user posted this (apologies for not referencing you), but someone mentioned that USADA are making a point of not "deciding" on suspensions in big cases. Instead, they are holding out until said fighter "accepts" a suspension and waives their right to arbitration.

They gave Josh Barnett a suspension, and then he had his suspension dismissed in arbitration.

Can fighters even apply for arbitration before a "decision" has been made by USADA? If not, this is a brilliant loophole by USADA to prevent fighters from getting light punishments in arbitration. You just refuse to give them a decision until they sign a "plea deal" -- and if they don't agree to anything, you just don't sentence them until their full suspension is up.

2. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe Silver Belt

3. Only Here for Attachments

Only Here for Attachments Free from the yellow once again!

Knowing USADA there's probably a $30k administrative fee for going to arbitration

Rondas Pillow likes this.
  4. SeattleFightFan

SeattleFightFan Steel Belt

FAQ's found here suggest no.

USADA Anti-Doping Review Board
    In the case of an adverse analytical finding, confirmed by the B sample, or in all other instances where evidence of an anti-doping rule violation exists, evidence will be presented to USADA’s anti-doping review board to determine if the organization should charge the athlete with an anti-doping rule violation.
    Independent Arbitration Hearing
    An athlete charged with an anti-doping rule violation is entitled to an independent hearing in front of independent judges, not affiliated with USADA, from the American Arbitration Association. All evidence is subject to disclosure in accordance with the law and witnesses’ testimony is given under oath and subject to penalty of perjury and cross examination. The Independent panel provides a written decision to all parties which is then posted to USADA’s website.​

but i would take information that is prefaced with "a poster once said something somewhere" with a grain of salt.

fenway926 likes this.
  5. svmVR2097

svmVR2097 Purple Belt

The short answer is yes, pretty much everyone who chooses to fight the USADA findings has this option available to them. Jones did that his first incident with USADA as well as Barnett, among others.

6. Rondas Pillow

Rondas Pillow Black Belt

I know this is going to sound crazy, but they could just avoid using “dick pills” and not deal with any of this.

7. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Brown Belt

I'll find it for you then... someone quoted one of my posts with it, let me look through my history. BRB.

8. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

no, they didnt give Josh a suspension, it went to arbitration

you are making it waaaaaaaaaaaaaay too complicated.

its pretty simple, fighter tests positive, they give USADA all the information they can, supplements, etc etc.. USADA will then determine what they think is a fair suspension and offer it to the fighter.

The fighter can then either

a) Accept the USADA offer and take their suspension

or

b) Opt for arbitration (conducted by neutral third party)

9. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

no, its not $30k.

Its $2,500 filing fee but fighters can ask for a reduction or waiver from MSGG (The arbitrators) if they cannot afford it.

10. Alpha_T83

Alpha_T83 Brown Belt

When I say suspend I mean offer a suspension -- a bit misleading, sorry. And I shouldn't have rounded up the 2 years -- I think the reported figure they offered Barnett after his supplement tested positive for Ostarine was 18 months. But they did offer Barnett a concrete settlement, which is my point. What if they never offered Barnett 18 months, and just said "we need to gather more information" and never got back to him.

Can he apply for aribtration if USADA haven't "officially concluded" their investigation?

11. -Dim-

-Dim- Gold Belt

yes, they can request arbitration at any point

12. Dilan Cummingsworth

Dilan Cummingsworth Green Belt

USADA is a joke