Can Fedor adapt to the "modern" MMA style?

It's all but a given he's signed to the UFC as far as everyone is concerned, and the rumour is he only wanted rematches en route to a title shot. That said, as a huge nuthugger, I've always wondered if he can be effective against the modern approach.

Playing the judges, jabs and leg kicks as the meat and potatos of your offense... he's very skilled and I still think he's top 10, *maybe* top 5, but he has this wild, killer instinct style. Even in his wins he's leaving openings left, right and centre. Against Bigfoot, maybe his most competitive showing in a loss (Hendo was too short to garner any info) he just didn't seem to be able to adapt to the disadvantage in size and strength, just kept going for the wild kill - not going for the "win".

I think he has all the tools, and certainly the mentality, but I don't think he has the modern gameplan. I just feel he gets caught or outworked using an old school approach now, especially with his going for the finish at all times approach.

Nuthuggers and haters, what are your thoughts?

I fear it. Fedor fought at cage only 4 times, and losses 3.

if anything, Modern MMA should adapt to Fedor's style. I feel like he'll do fine in this mixture of HWs

I dont know if he can handle the new breed of fighters like Werdum Mir and Arlovski

He might have, in his 20s. He's old, shot, passed his prime, beyond his peak, a shadow of his former self, past it, done and finished. Why people are excited about this shameful return of a fighter whose great career was brutally ended by an even older middleweight, I'll never know.

I know what you're trying to say TS. Modern meaning the 'game' we see that has fully adapted to the Unified Rules/critera/cage. Stuff like

- don't get pushed against the cage for too long because you're "losing"
- don't get taken down at the end of the round becuase you might lose the round (if was at all close)
- make sure you continue to land strikes, doesn't really matter how hard/damaging they are
- don't spend much time being 'controlled' (either against the cage/back on the mat/regardless of lack of damage being done/being threatened)
- move forward, being 'aggressive'
- go less for for finishes, rather take more conservative/risk free approach, add up points, get a lead on the scorecards and defend it
- don't get taken down regardless of how many times you successfully defend attempts or get straight back up after

Fedor needs some instruction in wrestling and bjj for sure. His positonal game needs much improvement. He can do it of he seeks out proper training.

It's all but a given he's signed to the UFC as far as everyone is concerned, and the rumour is he only wanted rematches en route to a title shot. That said, as a huge nuthugger, I've always wondered if he can be effective against the modern approach.

Playing the judges, jabs and leg kicks as the meat and potatos of your offense... he's very skilled and I still think he's top 10, *maybe* top 5, but he has this wild, killer instinct style. Even in his wins he's leaving openings left, right and centre. Against Bigfoot, maybe his most competitive showing in a loss (Hendo was too short to garner any info) he just didn't seem to be able to adapt to the disadvantage in size and strength, just kept going for the wild kill - not going for the "win".

I think he has all the tools, and certainly the mentality, but I don't think he has the modern gameplan. I just feel he gets caught or outworked using an old school approach now, especially with his going for the finish at all times approach.

Nuthuggers and haters, what are your thoughts?

"Playing the judges" doesn't happen at HW, because unless in other lighter divisions, point fighting doesn't really work most of the time at HW because of the KO power.

The only "modern" thing that Fedor could and/or should do to be competitive is to get on that "special diet."

The HW division is pretty old lol

But it's hard to predict how he will do coming out of retirement

He's a heavyweight, not many point fighters there.

Did he even have a great finishing rate for HW?

It depends on where and whom he trains with. If he joins a modern top 5 MMA camp, yes. If he continues to train in Stary Oskol like it's 2002, no.

"Modern" MMA

LOL

What does this even mean?

Fedor is still more well rounded and skilled than most HWs.

Fedor is the living proof that "modern" MMA style is bullshit. His achievements are unmatched and speak for themselves.

Fedor is the founding father of "Modern" mixfight.

The first guy who was smashing feared K-1 killers like Mirko standing.

and the first guy who can judo throw 250lb men as if theyre rag dolls.

and the first guy who could mix it up and still armlock guys from his back with the hip swiftness of a BJJ black belch.

Fedor was very well rounded. Just needs to sharpen some of his tools primarily his wrestling and positional BJJ/control.

His hands are still great and he has great understanding of distance and timing. Just got a bit sloppy as he lost interest in the sport.

LOL @ thinking HW has evolved at all..All the top fighters at HW are ancient or getting older. (Champ is 40 years)

Fedor doesn't need to adapt to modern styles, he needs to bring back his old style.

I think the MMA community needs to formally recognize 'new breed' as a fallacy in reasoning. This term was relevant when the sport was new, but the sport is no longer new.

100% correct bring back his old style . The last few years he was just going for the knock out but the real fedor used his sambo with striking and take downs so If that fedor comes back nobody can stop him getting on the top

MMA has been the same for about 10 or 15 years. Fedor was sooooo good at his "transitions", going from striking, clinch, wrestling/grappling and back again. He set the bar for "modern" mma.

one weak point imo is HE NEVER TRAINS IN A CAGE! even though vadim specifically said they sent one to him he just never set it up.

Back